1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Kevin Doyle

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by McManus4, Mar 19, 2013.

Discuss Kevin Doyle in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockhardBoss

I really hope this is just token Irish man linked to Celtic 'news'.

I thought the model was young talented players to develop, not late in their career journeymen.

As others have said I'd much rather take a punt on Griffiths than Doyle.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

A journeyman who has only been at 4 clubs?

I don't think you quite get that saying :50:

The model is to bring in players that will be benificial to the team, as well as bringing in players who have the potential for huge sell-on profit.

Lennon has stated he likes the player, so I think that's enough proof that it's not the "token Irishman" you speak of.

3. murphy88

I used to rate Doyle, i'm not sure about him nowadays to be honest though. A good way of looking at it just now is, Wolves right now are similar to how Scunthorpe were when we signed Hooper. Hooper was amongst the top goalscorers in the League. Kevin Doyle has 6 to his name this season, is that the type of player we are really after, I wouldn't say so. Stokes will make more than his fair share of goals. If Hooper goes in the summer, it's a goalscorer we are after. Kevin Doyle does not fit the bill in that sense, if it's another Kenny Miller we are after then Doyle is it.

4. Mr. Slippyfist

We have 3 goalscorers at the club currently - Hooper, Stokes and Watt.

Bringing Doyle in would be a decent addition for the club - and possibly another poacher-type alongside IF Hooper goes.

5. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    They want to go to England for money and exposure, the exposure can lead to a move to a competitive club where they might start to 'achieve'.

I don't think it's a 'we only want Irish players gang', you know the sort of poster I am, and that's not the sort of thing I'd say. I do think there are those amongst us who see us as the stereotypical 'Irish, probably catholic' club and do like that sort of thing though'

6. Mr. Slippyfist

So players that go to Man UTD etc are only there for the money? EPL is accredited as one of the best leagues in European football (whether you agree or not), and I'm sure the chances to play in a league like that is an achievement - especially if you are a fan of the league or the clubs.

I know what sort of poster you are, and that's why I'm surprised.

I think if you were to go back and look at threads linking us with guys like Paul Green, Keith Andrews etc - you'd find even the most ardent of Irish-minded posters baulking at the thought of them signing for us.

7. murphy88

Hooper will more than likely be off in the summer, Watt I wouldn't classify as a goalscorer just yet as we havn't really seen enough to call him that IMO, and Stokes works better with a poacher i.e Hooper. So I don't really see a need for Kevin Doyle, unless you play Stokes as a poacher and Doyle alongside him. I don't think that will benefit us or Stokes though. I know Stokes gets his fair share of goals but I would prefer to see an out and out goalscorer beside him as opposed to a work horse.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

As a team at times, we have been found wanting against teams who play backs to the wall defence - we have needed a "work horse" as you put it to go up against their defenders.

Doyle is a goalscorer (although not a prolific one fair enough), but he would provide his fair share of goals also.

If Hooper goes I'd like to see another striker come in alongside Doyle (if he was to be signed).

Wee Tony Watt has shown he can be a goalscorer - and one that thrives upon game time.

9. murphy88

Watt has also shown that he can be the worker to be fair, he never gives the defence a minutes peace. Johnny Russell is like that also, will run all day, but knows how to score goals. I would much rather sign Russell as opposed to Kevin Doyle. Russell works every bit as hard as Doyle and scores more goals, (albeit in a lower League) but it is the one that we play in also.

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, that's what I was getting at with Watt.

When you see him play this year, or come off the bench, he has been chomping at the bit to get in behind strikers and get a shot off at goal. great stuff to see.

Russell would be a good signing for us indeed imo.

Kevin Doyle is filled with years of experience of playing at very high levels against excellent opposition however.

11. murphy88

Totally agree regarding Watt. Watt & Russell are two guys that could have everything in their locker IMO. Both have pace, work extremely hard, have ability and can get goals.

Experience is one thing that Doyle has over either of them, I don't think he has the same ability as either however. If someone had said Doyle a few years ago then I would have been excited at the prospect of his signature, but with his lack of goals and current form, it's a bit underwhelming IMO. If we sign a striker from the Championship, I just feel that we should be looking for one that is scoring regularly.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

I hate to use Chris Sutton as an example again, but it's true how much a good player who is in a rut can be turned around with a move.

Wolves are on the downward spiral and Doyle is too good for them imo.

Obviously talk of him coming is purely hypothetical, but Lennon has stated his interest in the player, so it could become a possibility.

We need a bit more experience - and I think Doyle would bring that :50:

13. liammcdowell

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    No the ones that go to Man United are there for success, the ones choking to sign for QPR are there for money. Doesn't seem a contentious point?

I'm not saying anyone wants us just to sign anyone as long as they're Irish, but I think they might get a bit more of a shout because of it. That's not a slur on our support, it's perfectly natural. To use your EPL example again players actually from England are valued a lot higher than they would be if they weren't. I think the same sort of thinking can apply with us.

14. oh bhoy

cant see why lennon would come out and say we want doyle ,thats not normally how we conduct business and it would send his price up??its odd maybe some celtic player needs convincing about signing a new contract or something .
    dont know if he would make any impact if we did sign him , he hasnt been at his best for a while and even at his best he wasnt really outstanding , seems like a genunie down to earth sort of person and may do a job for us but i would rather see Watt play more or the other youngsters coming through

15. Mr. Slippyfist

I haven't seen one person in the transfer thread etc suggesting that we should have signed Doyle before this news came out - which would suggest our interest would lie elsewhere first - but as there may be a chance he could come here, many of us who follow the Irish national team etc will know what type of player he is - no different to saying that someone who says a player being linked from say, Sweden, would be getting more of a shout from a supporter who watches Swedish football.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If we started next season with the options of:

Stokes, Doyle, Russell, Watt

For the strikers role I would be very happy.

17. Mr. Slippyfist

Exactly.

Right there you would have four strikers that would run through brick walls to be a success at Celtic.

18. liammcdowell

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    I just can't see Doyle producing in the Champions League, and that is the level we are aiming for. We don't need him for the SPL, because we'll win it at a canter. He isn't a big goalscorer either so I just don't see the point in signing someone on big money that won't improve us where we need it.

Russell I think has potential but I'd rather see Watt get a run of games. I'd sign Russell and loan him back maybe, I actually would rather GMS of the two. If we're signing anyone it needs to be someone who will bang the goals in rather than a Lassad type who is decent but doesn't score a lot.

19. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Not an improvement on what we have so i would be against it although wouldn't throw the towel out the pram if he did come.

Need better players than we currently have to improve and continue our success, Kevin Doyle does not represent an improvement for me.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

I don't see him as an improvement as a single player, more as an improvement as a team player.

He's not a better goal scorer than Stokes, Hooper etc, but would be happy to suggest that he would be a better foil - not just for a striking partner, but also for our wingers, or whoever is providing the crosses.

Seriously - how many delightful crosses from the likes of Izaguirre (even though the majority of his are woeful :56:), Mulgrew, Matthews, Forrest, Brown etc have gone to waste - either because most of the crosses are put in low, or rather that we have no striker aerially capable to be a regular threat in the air?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.