1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josh Thompson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Lancashire Nick, Jan 16, 2017.

Discuss Josh Thompson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Keano88 and JML67 like this.
  2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic defender Josh Thompson is fighting to save his career after suffering a “catastrophic” injury for Southport.

Thompson – who left the Hoops in 2012 – was stretchered off after damaging his patella in the 2-1 FA trophy defeat against Wealdstone.

And in a club statement, devastated Southport revealed the skipper faces the toughest battle of his career.

It read: “During yesterday’s match against Wealdstone in the FA Trophy, Southport’s Josh Thompson suffered a catastrophic injury to his patella.

“Sadly, Josh faces a considerable battle to be able to play football again. As such, the club is unable to confirm when Josh can return.

“Josh was taken to hospital by ambulance after the incident, and club physio Luke McCall joined Josh in hospital after the game.

“Josh received immediate treatment for the pain and was discharged when his pain levels subsided.

“Josh was also attended by his mother and father who were present at yesterday’s game.

“Manager Steve Burr has visited Josh, and chairman Charlie Clapham has been in contact with Josh’s parents.

“The club will continue to support Josh through his recovery – and fundraising events for Josh are already being considered.”

Speaking after the game, Yellows boss Burr said: “It looks like Josh will be missing now and he’s been very influential in the team.

“It looked so innocuous but his patella has ended up halfway up his thigh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds Horrific

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That's an absolute shocker.

Must be devastating for him. Wish the big fella all the best.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Extremely early but I'd not be adverse to Celtic or us as fans lending a hand if indeed his career is ruined.

5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

* sake sounds a right sore yin.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

* sake :54:

7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    You could tell it was a bad one as soon as he went down. The nearest player immediately signalled for a stretcher. As I was leaving the ground, he was being put into the ambulance. He was sitting upright, looking very miserable, but not appearing to be in pain (I can only assume they'd given him some exceptionally strong painkillers).

packybhoy likes this.
  8. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Good news.

Josh and his family attended Southport's game on Saturday. I was able to speak to him, and he said that his recovery is going better than anticipated, and he hopes to return sometime next season (although he's not putting an exact date on it yet).

9. steg

cheers for the update bud - good luck to the lad, never made it here but no disgrace in that and if I remember correctly helped us go to Ibrox and keep a clean sheet.

10. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Sounds similar to something that happened to Oguchi Onyewu. Went up for a header against (I think) Costa Rica and landed twisted on his knee. Looked like the type of thing that tears a tendon or something, but when the cameras zoomed in you could see his knee cap had slid up to his upper thigh. The look of panic on his face was unreal. Apparently it can happen to the more muscular and bigger types... their ligaments get so strong that if one side suffers a small tear, the other can rip it away and contract far away from the knee. Horrible stuff. It took him years to get back, and he was never again at the level he started at.

11. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Seen him the other day in Southport he recognised my hoops and we had a wee chat, decent lad hope for a full recovery for him

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Always wondered what happened to him, first time I seen him he was unreal.

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Good luck to him. Hopefully he's back playing next year.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Macclesfield Town are pleased to announce the signing of former Celtic defender Josh Thompson. The 26-year-old joins the Silkmen following the end of a spell with Southport.

Thompson began his career with our neighbours Stockport where after breaking through in to the first-team as a teenager he made the move to Scottish giants Celtic in the summer of 2009.

He would make 18 appearances for Celtic, scoring three goals before returning to England to have spells with the likes of Rochdale, Peterborough and Chesterfield on loan before permanent moves to Portsmouth and then Colchester.

He left Colchester in October 2014 and after a brief spell with Tranmere signed for Southport in the summer of 2015.

Thompson played a key role in helping Southport avoid relegation during the 2015/16 season and was made club captain after the arrival of Steve Burr as Southport manager early on in the 2016/17 campaign.

https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/macclesfield-town-sign-defender-josh-thompson