1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jonny Hayes

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jun 14, 2017.

Discuss Jonny Hayes in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joemc

I think he is changing opinions though and the big thing he has in his favour is he is getting the ball facing forward and driving us up the pitch , sincy for too long has his back to goal and passes back to the full back , I don't know if thats from respect and being doubled up on or he is not finding good positions .

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I agree with you on that Pauli. He wasn’t the fashionable big bucks name and he was coming from lower standard of team in the same league. We had also seen him numerous times and a lot of our fans from there decided he couldn’t make the step up to Celtic even though his previous form against us dictated otherwise. He was utilised by Rodgers in different positions at different times and was stop and start for Jonny. He was playing good football for us when he got injured. At the minute he seems to make good Link up with KT and picks the pace of the game up. He’s more direct and is not shy in a tackle either. Long may it continue because this has been the season of frozen out players coming in and stamping their play in the team.

3. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I was one of them and I don’t mind admitting when I am wrong, he was superb today and has given us that bit of dig at various stages of the season. We just need a big * that’s willing to throw himself at his balls into the box.

4. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Nothing wrong with that. Just makes it sweeter when a player turns up I think. Just seems to be a mindset with some that they never thought someone was poor and wouldn’t be guilty. How many of us went “who to * have we signed?” When a certain ex player gifted Chic Charnley the ball and a wonder goal for the winner? Hibs winning 2-1.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was so unlucky with his strike..

You can tell, he's popular with his teammates..

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JONNY Hayes is targeting more happy Hampden memories after putting some of his Scottish Cup heartache behind him by playing a starring role in Celtic's semi-final win over Aberdeen yesterday.

The winger scored against his current club when he was an Aberdeen player in the 2016 final but still wound up on the losing side. He then had to sit out of last season’s final after breaking his leg playing for Celtic against Dundee earlier in the campaign.

But now he is hoping to put all of that behind him by playing a major role in Celtic rounding off another treble by lifting the trophy at the national stadium in May.

It’s been tough,” Hayes said. “The broken leg was a major setback, just as I was finding a bit of form and having a run in the team. It came at the worst possible time because not only did I then miss the rest of the season, but I started the following one a couple of weeks behind everyone else as well.

“Then it took me a while to get going but our medical people and sports scientists have been brilliant with me and everyone else at the club. They keep you sharp even when you’re not playing so that – whether you’ve been out for six days or six weeks – you can come straight back in and do a job.

“I was at the final against Motherwell last year with my little boy but I’m looking forward to playing in it this season.

“Football’s a lot more enjoyable when you win games and we knew exactly what was at stake here. Our game plan worked perfectly and it didn’t matter whether we won it with a 90th-minute goal or, as it happened, with a comfortable 3-0 – our job today was to get to the final.”

Hayes has loved being a regular fixture in the Celtic side since the arrival of interim manager Neil Lennon, having been something of a peripheral figure under previous boss Brendan Rodgers.

Since the manager’s come in he’s been very positive with me,” Hayes said. “He gave me the chance to play against Rangers the other week and now he’s fielded me in a semi-final; obviously, I’m grateful for that.

The slight adjustments he’s made have benefited me, that’s for sure. He’s someone who’s been involved with Scottish football for a long time and his personality means that he commands respect – even before I signed for Celtic, any time I met him I had to call him ‘gaffer’!

“We’ve always got on well and the way he wants his teams to play suits me. He’s been happy with what he’s seen from me at training. He didn’t have a special pep talk for me when he arrived, though – it was more about continuity.

“He didn’t want to disrupt anything because Brendan Rodgers had done a fantastic job, so he just wanted everyone to keep doing what we had been doing.

“We have a big squad and everyone wants to play and is good enough to play.”

7. joemc

Sounds way too painful mate ha ha .

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think the fact that he knows Lenny has trust in him, has given him confidence.

9. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
  10. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I really like him, don’t get me wrong he won’t be giving Messi and co a run for the Ballon d’Or, but always puts a great shift in.

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Plenty of honest endeavour, made a good contribution today.

12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Done well today hopefully he will feature more between now and end of season.

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Worked his way into the team and fully deserved on the basis of that performance, fantastic today and showed a lot more quality in the final 3rd than previous games. His work rate is second to none.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    There was always a good SPL player in there he was just never given a chance. Players who'll get stuck in have been badly missing from our team and hopefully he will be given further chances to prove his worth

Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JH: The boys are enjoying themselves. Winning games is the perfect preparation for our upcoming matches."

JH on Neil Lennon: "The manager has been superb since he's come in. He's really came in and looked to improve the players as much as he can."

JH: "I'm sure whoever is in charge next will know that they've got a great dressing room full of big characters."

JH: "When you see the passion from the manager, you can't help but feel it rubbing off on the players. You can see how much he loves the club and how much he wants to win every game."

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

With the quality of Forrest, Eddy, Rogic, McGregor and KT you need a work horse like Hayes to balance it out. He’s showed as well his crossing can be quality and willing to take on defenders.

A very good squad player to have especially for tough domestic games.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A wee goal or two would do him wonders.

19. Keano88

Most commonly used word in the Hayes thread = Shift.

Tommy25 and Murph-E like this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THERE has been a spring in the step of the Celtic players as they’ve got down to work at Lennoxtown this week in preparation for Sunday’s game against Hibernian at Easter Road.

The Scottish Cup semi-final win over Aberdeen has certainly bolstered confidence, and the focus now is on securing the Premiership title, which could happen this weekend if Rangers fail to win against Hearts at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Speaking at the club’s training ground today (Thursday) as he helped to promote the Celtic FC Festival, which will take place this July 26-28 at the SEC Glasgow, Jonny Hayes explained that the cup final has been set to one side and the only talk is of this weekend’s league game.

“Winning games is always the perfect preparation,” the Irishman said. “You enjoy training that little bit more if you’re coming off the back of a victory, but the preparation will stay the same on what the manager wants us to put into effect at the weekend. We’re working on that all week and Hibs have our full focus.

“Every game here is big, regardless of the opposition. It’s always about ourselves and the way we prepare, so it doesn’t really matter who we play or where we play, we know it’s about us.”

Hayes was one of many impressive performers at Hampden last Sunday, helping the Hoops to an impressive 3-0 win over Aberdeen to set up a Scottish Cup final clash with Hearts next month.

And the 31-year-old admitted that he’s enjoying life at Celtic under his fellow countryman, Neil Lennon.

“The manager’s been superb since he’s come in,” he said. “I think a lot of the boys have taken confidence from him. He’s somebody who inspires players. You can see, from the teams he’s managed and the players he’s managed, that he always seems to get the best out of players, and everyone here is thoroughly enjoying themselves since he’s come in.

“There have not been many changes, to be honest. I’ve said it before, but John Kennedy’s played a massive role in taking the club forward and what we’ve been doing for the past couple of years has stayed the same.

“The manager has his input, and we’ve had the best of both worlds – learning from Brendan while he was here and now we’re learning from the gaffer.

“You can see how much he loves the club and how much he wants us to win, and that can only be a positive for us when you have someone that brings that desire into the changing room.”

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Tommy25 likes this.