1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Joker Movie

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Valhalla, Apr 3, 2019.

Discuss Joker Movie in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Strongly disagree, especially as Glitter will make money from it. Artist and art are intrinsically linked.

2. scootz

I absolutely agree that Gadd benefiting financially sticks in the craw. I also agree that artist and art do have an obvious link, but would maintain that they can be separated by whoever beholds the art.

That said, I'm content to keep them linked for the purpose of the musical clip in this film - insofar that when I think of Gary Glitter, I think 'monster'... and this scene depicts Arthurs metamorphosis into just that!

Gully Sands and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

I really like the movie. It's in fact fantastic. It's disturbing, twisted and evil. Just the way a joker movie is supposed to be. also no need to mention how excellent joaquin phoenix plays his role.

if you expect a typical comic movie à la marvel.. stay away. if you want a mature and violent flick, go for it. for me along watchmen and TDK the best movie based on comics.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We’ll have to agree to disagree, I have totally different feelings about it.

scootz likes this.
  5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Class film but I walked out the cinema not completely loving it. I think it was just a bit much to take in on first viewing and I'll probably love it more after seeing it another time.

I liked how it was all very dream-like and you're never 100% sure on whether things actually happened or not.
    The girlfriend turning out to be imaginary seemed so obvious but the way they done it made it seem really convincing. The reveal could have been quite tired and cliched but it ended up being a really powerful scene.

Not pleased about the Gary Glitter track tbh. It Todd Phillips done it to draw comparisons with him cause he's an abusive creep then he's been extremely naive. If he done it just because of how it worked in the scene then there's surely other tunes that could have used instead. Either way, a * sick paedo * is getting money and exposure from this film and there's something very wrong with that.

Overall though it was a really great film. Really beautiful to look at, the art design, sets, costume, lighting etc were all top notch. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing. It's unfair to compare his Joker with Heath Ledger's as he basically invented the cinematic version of the character, but Phoenix was exceptional in this film and definitely deserves at least an Oscar nomination.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Personally hes no the joker. Hed be a good 70 by the time batman's grown up :56: I do believe he started the movement. The catalyst for the real joker to come to the forefront.

7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Class film. Loved it.

8. Mr. Slippyfist

Seen it last night, was far more impressed with Phoenix's performance than I was the film itself.

Phoenix has to he the clear Oscar-winner of the year. You'll certainly not see a better all round oerformance.

Film was decent.

Couldn't give a * if they usef a Gary Glitter song. Yes, * is a severe nonce, but it' a great song and is *as far as I'm led to believe * still used in American football/NFL games/Hockey/NHL games etc, also used in the Full Monty film which still gives off a great soundtrack.

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just in from this.

Jeepers that was good. Really * good. Phoenix is excellentm

Came away thinking a lot about mental health and what some people must go through. Great film.

Montero, Artorias and Gully Sands like this.
  10. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

* me, what an amazing film. Just back in. Stick on for at least 2 or 3 oscars, has to be. 10/10

Gully Sands, Montero and Artorias like this.
  11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Despite the bullshit reviews from critics, it's been a huge box office hit..
    544m worldwide in only 10 days.

Gully Sands likes this.
  12. JamesM09

I seen some of the theories kicking about which I think work really well for the movie.

One of the things about the Joker is no one really knows his back story and there are a number of theories. You see it in TDK where with the ‘wanna know how I got these scars?’ Where he tells a different story every time.

Then in one of the animated movies (I don’t remember exactly) he says something along the lines that he cannot quite remember what happened to him, sometimes he thinks it’s this and sometimes he thinks it’s that.

The version of that in this movie is the theory that he is in Arkham the whole time and telling the whole story to the woman at the end. This implies he is either recalling it from memory and embellishing some of the facts/not quite sure or he’s completely made it up and it’s just one made up version of a potential Joker origin like it has always been.

Apart from the delusions he suffers in the film, there is also a brief clue when it’s mentioned that he has spent time in Arkham before.

This is also why it shows the Wayne’s being murdered in the riots, it didn’t actually happen but this is in the future and Joker knows all about batman, his parents etc. and he’s thinking about how funny it would be if the whole story linked together. This is what he means when he says, ‘you wouldn’t find it funny’, after recalling the whole story.

This is also why Joker is older in the film and seemingly too old to be involved with batman. He’s projecting his older self into the story/memory. If this really happened he would’ve been younger. He’s telling the story post his interactions with batman.

robbie7cfc likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Ah but then if he was projecting his older self into the story, his face scars would be there. They are not so it cant be.

14. JamesM09

I don’t think it’s a hard rule like that though. The movie is full of lies and misdirection.

The point is when he recalls or makes up the story in his head he can make it how he wants.

Another hint I read about but haven’t checked myself was how he confronted Thomas Wayne in the bathroom but then the next scene shows him in his own bathroom staring at the mirror. I think the hint there is this is another part of the story completely fabricated to bring him closer to the Wayne’s in this little tale he’s telling.

obviously it’s all just fun theories :)

15. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Hope it eventually comes out on Netflix cause I'm not into the cinema, all the rustling sweet bag noises, coughing, talking etc puts me off, daughter going to see it tomorrow night with some friends from her work don't know how she'll get on as she is a scaredy cat most of the time :56:

Gully Sands likes this.
  16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Try an afternoon showing at the weekend, and go in about 25 minutes after the time they say it starts.

We went on Saturday at 15:10 and there was only about 50 people there. Plenty room to sit with nobody around you if need be.

bagforlife likes this.
  17. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Good Idea Marty never thought of that cheers :50:

Marty McFly likes this.
  18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I went to see it on a midweek day off. There were about 10 people in the cinema who all had impeccable cinema etiquette (which is so rare) I hate the general public.

19. scootz

it’s been confirmed that Gadd will not make any money from this. The rights to this song are held by 2 corporations... and neither pays Gadd a penny.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Gully Sands and Artorias like this.
  20. Gully Sands

Fav Celtic Song:
    SAM song
    * batman. Jokers always been my favourite superhero.

bagforlife likes this.