1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by holy pope, Oct 28, 2010.

Discuss John Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, I wouldn’t bet against him but I was nervous pretty much all last season.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The weasel won every single domestic trophy available to him. Lenny’s Hampden/Cup record is poor relatively. Even still.

It’s all hypothetical but it’s a massive jump to suggest Lenny was better placed to complete the Treble when the snake had done 2 in the 2 seasons previous. And it was his team.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I know mate, I’m just saying I was nervous, we were up and down all season under him and I wasn’t 100% convinced it was definite.

And it’s a * monumental achievement mate. It was never a gimme.

PaulM1888 likes this.
  4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I've not seen anyone suggesting Lenny is a better manager but I don't know if it was strictly Rodgers' team, a lot of players were already in place, he just got them performing very well but last year we looked very shaky and nothing like the Invincible team.

Plus to leave when he did for a mid table EPL team does look a bit suspicious and what creature is it that jumps a sinking ship? :fear:

Also the pressure on Lenny was immense, replacing Rodgers is a big job for most managers but having to complete a Treble is massive.

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Credit to the players holding it together aswel after having a management change, dodgy behind the scenes lies, the bullshit on the rags, lack of depth. We have a special group as 90% of teams would have failed given all these circumstances.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think what Lennon done when taking over the team was absolutely phenomenal and I think a lot take it for granted.

The timing of the * leaving was about as bad as he could have possibly made it and he managed to navigate seriously tough ties in even tougher circumstances.

The way I frame it in my head is, think of how big an achievement it would have been perceived to be had we not won 2 Trebles in the 2 seasons before. There was an air of misplaced entitlement because Trebles are notoriously difficult to the point of being almost impossible historically. Even when 1 team is clearly better and dominating the league.

7. Murph-E

Rodgers is a *, but let's not re-write how amazing he was domestically. Even in this "poorer" season, he left off us 8 points clear in the league, had already won the League Cup and already advanced in the Scottish Cup tie he oversaw.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Absolutely spot on mate. People talking about another one this season as well.

I wouldn’t put it by us but 12 trophies out of 12? * me man, the odds of that must be astronimical.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    For me the Scottish Cup win should be credited to lennon he had to get by hearts hibs and Aberdeen

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

callumrae1967 and Lilac Wine like this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What damage did he do?

11. Murph-E

Yep defo for this one, but I don't want to see any rewrite that Rodgers was anything but an unprecedented success domestically.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He ripped up the old way we were doing things under Park, let a lot of our top scouts go (or a lot left under his management don’t actually know which one) and narrowed the market where we were looking, and therefore the framework of being able to get others in from elsewhere.

Very contacts led.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What was so different about how Park did things, just looking further afield? How many scouts left us?

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    With a bigger network and a different database and ranking system. Worked closer with the development teams scouting as well. Don’t know the exact figures mate.

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    The cup tie he negotiated was hardly much an achievement. Also before he left his team were starting to struggle away from home to the likes of Hibs and Hearts so it's not jump to have worried about us coming through these fixtures.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don’t think it’s rewriting history to say you wouldn’t be 100% sure he’d have got a treble over the line. They’re not easy things to do and last season we were up and down form wise. No doubt he could have done it, I’m just not (and wasn’t last year either) sure he would have done it.

17. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    He's just been announced the director of football at Falkirk. They've been given significant investment from some English businessman

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

John Park, one of Scotland’s most respected football talent spotters, will become the Club’s Football Director. He will have funds to boost the current playing squad, if the negotiations can be concluded before the summer signing deadline. Further significant investment in player recruitment is planned on the club’s return to the Championship and its push for promotion to the Premiership.

John said: “I am looking forward to working with the football management team and revitalising the development of talented young players to come through the first team, as Falkirk has been well-recognised for in the past. Youth Development will be an essential part of the Club’s future.”

Mark Campbell is a low-key, but highly successful businessman with a lifetime interest in football.

Under his proposals, Mark is gearing his investment to return and retain the Club in the Scottish Premiership, invest in young football talent and to build new facilities at the Falkirk Stadium, including a youth academy. He is also proposing to support the Falkirk Foundation.

Mark said: “We still have to go through due diligence and detailed negotiations with the Club, but we are hopeful we can have everything in place by the end of August. I’ve been hugely impressed by what has been achieved at Falkirk. The Club has a large and loyal fan base and I want to work with these fans and the staff to make the Club everything that it should be. I am looking forward to engaging with fans, so that I can get to know them and they get to know me.

“I am interested in the long term sustainability of the Club which will have an exceptional football director In John Park, and working with the fans and the local community I want to make the Falkirk Stadium an exciting hub for sports and community.

“I have wanted to own a football club for some time. I’ve looked at a number in England and Scotland, but when I was introduced to Falkirk I saw huge potential and an opportunity to achieve something special on the field and to make more of the facilities to help sustain the business for the long term.”

His bid was one of three considered by the Board and major shareholders who together have recommended unanimously that he should be the preferred bidder, entering a period of due diligence and negotiation, with a view to completing the purchase of the Club by the end of August.

Two other bids were received, including a well-researched and well-presented fan ownership proposal which was detailed and impressive, but did not match the exceptional vision and the financial strength of the proposal the board is now considering in detail.

https://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/2019/07/26/club-announcement-3/

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Murph-E

Celtic GAZUMPED by Falkirk for transfer target.

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Falkirk has a good youth system as is, be interesting to see how they get on.