1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Park

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by holy pope, Oct 28, 2010.

Discuss John Park in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MACCABI TEL AVIV could turn to ex-Celtic chief scout John Park for a dossier on the Hoops if they clash in the Champions League third qualifying round.

The highly-regarded Park – almost 10 years at Parkhead before leaving shortly after Brendan Rodgers’ arrival in 2016 – is currently a football consultant for the Israeli outfit.

And Monday’s draw at UEFA headquarters put the teams on a potential collision course.

Celtic host Nomme Kalju at home in the second qualifying round on Wednesday night while Maccabi Tel Aviv head to Romania to play CFR Cluj.

Park was head of Celtic’s recruitment set-up when the likes of Gary Hooper, Viktor Wanyama, Ki Sung Yueng, Fraser Forster, Virgil van Dijk and Moussa Dembele were brought in for cut-price fees and later sold for huge profits.

He departed when it became clear Rodgers was seeking to bring in his own man.

Lee Congerton was appointed but his near three year spell proved dismal — eventually leaving at the end of last season and soon being reunited with Rodgers at Leicester City

Neil Lennon had hoped to bring Park back to Celtic but appeared to suffer a blow with the talent-spotter seemingly bound for a director of football role at Sunderland as part of a club takeover.

That fell through last month but the Hoops have since appointed ex-Reading and West Brom technical director Nick Hammond.

2. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Bring him bk

3. Dazzler86

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Bringing John park back would be the best signing we could make all window

littlekennie and Lilac Wine like this.
  4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Would be great if him and Lenny could team up again.

I thought Moussa was all Rodgers'?

5. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Groundwork was done long before Rodgers appointment. Moussa alluded to that at some point iirc

Random Review and Lilac Wine like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

David Moss was on his trail for a good while before the rat came in:

"I looked at Moussa and saw a natural goalscorer.

'I met with his agent Mamadi Fofana in a big London hotel next to Kings Cross Station six months or so before Brendan came in.

'I said to him, 'look, I know you will have other clubs and can get a bigger salary elsewhere - but there's a high potential he could go to one of those clubs and be a substitute.

'Celtic might not pay him as much, you might not get the same commission, but he will play lots of games, get lots of chances and play Champions League football. We will show him to the world and after one year, two years maximum, we will sell him hopefully for maximum money.'

'It was a win for Moussa because he had a development plan.

'It was a win for the agent because he made some money.

'And it was a win for Celtic because we got a great player with the potential for a huge transfer fee.'

Top level transfers rarely just happen; they evolve over a period of time. Aware Dembele had no plans to sign a new contract at Fulham, Moss began the seduction early, stopping just short of chocolates and flowers.

'We kept in contact every single week,' he recalls, 'that was the key to everything.

'I would go on and ask, 'Is Moussa playing?'

'And Momadi would say to me, 'don't waste your time coming this week David, he' s not playing.

'If you are diligent and good at your job you realise that good players with the potential of a Moussa don't come along very often.

'To get them you have to do something different. You have to go the extra mile.

'I was acting for Celtic Football Club, a Rolls Royce of a football club, and if you ask Mamadi he will tell you I did things right.

'Everybody looked. Not everybody saw the full potential of Moussa.'

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh ffs how could I be so blind :31: I did think at the time it was incredible Rodgers signed him so quickly but was I the only one who was left with the impression that it was all Rodgers doing cause he's an A list manager who knows a lot about developing players etc etc?

I thought Spurs and another EPL club were after him for £6m but couldn't guarantee game time.

Man I don't like to dislike anyone but the more I realise about Rodgers the less I think of him as a manager cause I knew for sure that Moussa was in the right when he went to Twitter and said A good man keeps his word. Cause it was so obvious that we signed him on a 4 year contract so we could all benefit after two years and it was embarrassing we had to go through that and treat a guy who did well for us that way.

No saying he's a bad manager, just don't mind him saying he was glad Celtic went out of their way to sign such a talent as Moussa.

Please don't say he did now :56:

tarboltontim likes this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Rodgers profile helped get it over the line, no doubt mate, but things were in motion before then.

The IRA and Lilac Wine like this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ah right cool, kinda got a bit heated there :bash:

Hard not to though, that's Park and Moss we lost due to Rodgers wanting Congerton? I mean new managers don't get rid of their best players so why get rid of the best scouts? :39:

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’ve said this loads of times on here but people don’t realise the extent of the damage that Congerton done.

Random Review and littlekennie like this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The rat was on record a few times talking about a 2-year cycle for Moussa, it's as clear as day that he lied to him the way he lied to us.

31st March 2017: “I believed when Moussa came that he probably had two-year cycle. That’s what I saw. For me, I still think that’s the case. All the conversations I have with him I have no doubt he loves it here."

26th December 2017: “We don’t want to lose any players, of course. However, if something comes in it goes back to that issue morally.

“If there is something where a player can earn five times as much as what he’s on now, then it is very, very difficult to stop him, especially if you get a fee for a player."

----------

He then proceeded to refuse Boyata a move to Fulham that would've seen his wage increase and the club bank a mental amount of money for a guy with 10 months left on his contract.

Also refused Ntcham a move to Porto which would've allowed him to increase his salary and seen us bank £14 million

Then tried to refuse Dembele his move despite him coming up here for less money for 2 years and firing us to a Double Treble.

Then he leaves at the business end of the season so he can bank more money himself. The guy is a fraud and an out-and-out hypocrite. I don't like the way any of them went about things with Boyata refusing to play and Ntcham completely downing tools but I can completely understand their anger.

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    True, don't like the behaviour but understand it, definitely Moussa's cause Rodgers even said it himself, can't believe he used the word 'morally' oooft. Well I can cause he used Jock's name in vain and at the time I, like most of us, thought that meant he has a genuine bond with Celtic.

I know it's old news now but it's a bit mental thinking if he just stayed till the end of the season and gave us notice none of this ill feeling would have happened. Although his record at signing players would still have looked suspect and we were playing pretty poor football so I guess he just jumped ship.

I did think it a little ironic we were offered £9m for Boyata and he was refused which affected us hugely in Europe yet Rodgers went for the same amount. Thank goodness Lenny made sure that didn't affect us.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No wonder we had an unhappy squad last year. * miracle that we won the Treble man.

14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If the Sunderland thing fell through I can see us snapping him up Hammond only here on a temp basis.... Tbh we could have both so their is no conflicts of interest.... Dof Hammond and head of recruitment and scouting Park.... Park would identify targets and put forward a case who we go for and Hammond would liase with him and the youth department deal with the negotiations whilst liaising with lawell on that aspect and working with lennon on the targets that would fill the missing parts of the squad

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Liam Scales and Lilac Wine like this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Definitely mate, absolutely incredible when you consider everything...

• Management v Boardroom ego clash last summer
    • Players unhappy at being refused transfers
    • Players downing tools
    • Manager making resignation threats if Boyata was sold
    • Manager picking substandard teams to express to the board the lack of strength in depth (despite him signing many of those players :39:)
    • The most incompetent scout we've ever had on our books
    • Having to bring in 4 loan players in January to plug gaps in the team
    • The rat leaving in February on the eve of a huge game and taking most of the backroom staff with him
    • The worst injury list in living memory
    • Some of the worst officiating in living memory. Beaton in December, players getting studded, punched, headered, groped

:eek1:

16. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Jock was obviously looking down upon us, not him :56:

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    And we still won the treble some of those instances will be going overdrive

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

18. Murph-E

There was definitely a weird "I blindly love and trust Brendan so I'm believing him anyway" element of the support though, even though it was blatant he lied to Dembele. I remember a few posters saying they'd lost all respect for Dembele and other ridiculous statements. There's really no need to be so blindly loyal to anybody just because you support the football team they play for or manage imo, they can still lie/be in the wrong over things.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    People will think this is my Lenny fanboyism, but I’m not sure BR would have got it over the line. The league, yes, but I’m unsure about the Scottish Cup. We were just so up and down and it’s easy to see why.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying mate. People could argue he had won every trophy to that point and that our form had picked up after the winter break.

On-the-other-hand we had that run during a very favourable set of fixtures...would he have won the games at Tynecastle and Easter Road in that week when he left? Given how often we struggled there I'm not convinced.