1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] John McGinn

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 5, 2017.

Discuss John McGinn in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    People said Scott Brown was like a headless chicken when we signed him. Funny that....

2. ORIGINALS

What does that have to do with anything?

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's a bit unfair calling him a headless chicken :giggle1:

He's definitely a better player than that even if you don't rate him good enough for us. I think he'd be a good signing from what I've seen of him. A battler with a decent amount of skill, he could develop into a similar type of player to Broony. Not as brilliant as Broony but where are we going to find another like him we can afford?

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would be a good point if McGinn was anywhere near as good a player as Brown was.

Crilly likes this.
  5. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Don't think I've went back and forth on a player as much McGinn, ever.

One day I think he's the obvious long term replacement to Broony. That we'd be daft to let him go south and that if he upped his level as much as Forrest, McGregor and Armstrong have under BR then he'd be great. Plus it's good to have guys that are likely to spend more than the standard 2-3 years before moving on to help with continuity.

The next I'm thinking, is he really any better than Kouassi? Could he make the step up or is it just pure hope? That if we're gonna be selling Armstrong then we should try to bring in another Ntcham type player (like Pasalic, Kevin N'Doram or maybe even try for Nkunku if PSG are selling off their fringe players) as they'd have a higher ceiling.

So in short, * knows.

JML67, Doogs. and Crilly like this.
  6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Iv still yet to hear a convincing argument in favour of Kouassi over Mcginn. He has done nothing in comparison.
    If Mcginn is supposedly not of a quality we should be looking at, then how is Kouassi the answer?
    If Kouassi has the potential that a few claim, then why hasnt he been out on loan before now showing it? Surely there should have been more of a case for Henderson, who had a very good loan spell at Rosenborg and then won a scottish cup with hibs, than for Kouassi?

7. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Stated before on this thread that I think this transfer is inevitable. Read Brown saying a couple of times last season that McGinn was his toughest opponent. Sure he and Brendan have chatted this over a few times!! More a replacement for Armstrong..

8. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

How does that go against him ? He wasn't loaned out because he's good enough already. Unfortunately for him, Scott Brown just had, probably, his best season as a Celtic player.

Crilly, Tommy25 and neilly1987 like this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Because in a year and a half he has managed only 9 games for us in a time thats vital for his development. Why wouldnt he want to go on loan and play regularly? You only look at how going on loan benefitted Ajer.
    I dont doubt that he has ability, but the point im trying to make is that, If we are comparing mcginn and kouassi as players then, there is a far stronger case for mcginn.

Fifelad and ChrisMoh like this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    The fact that many supporters including myself are questioning the logic of this possible transfer speaks volumes... as does the level of indignation from others when this potential move is criticized in ANY way.

We all obviously see the logic in a need to have a natural successor to broony waiting in the wings but I'd rather we just bit the financial bullet and realised that this will cost money rather than another squad player who is miles away from what is required if we are to do more than just show up for euro fixtures

11. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    In all likelihood we are losing Armstrong so
    So a good signing for us would be a player who is not lost in the Cl group stages. Many would argue that Armstrong was a good signing even though he did not reach this level. Decent signing would be can cover in the SPFL and do a job for us.
    Not decent would be someone who is not good enough to perform in our team in the league.

Compared to our recent defensive signings, Boyata, Gamboa and Compper he is an improvement in value for money.

12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I was under the impression they both cost the same; 1.5 m

If thats the case then hendry is nowhere near the value of boyata

Gabriel likes this.
  13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    :50:
    I thought we paid more for Boyata.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The irony of this is that you are dismissing a player who plays for the same team from which we signed Brown.
    Our supporters have questioned many of our signings and many still doubted Brown for many seasons even after we signed him. He wasnt an instant hit with the fans. Mcginn might also end up costing less than what Brown did at a time when money buys a lot less.

Theres no indignation in debate, but there indignity in providing an opinion on weak and ill informed judgements and believing it to be fact . if you speak to a Hibs fan, none are in doubt of Mcginns ability.

It is also an assumption that he may be bought as a successor to Brown, where as the immediate truth lies in the fact that he may form a part of the same midfield of Brown.

Id also argue that an international player who has won two domestic trophies and made the team of the year ahead of one of our current midfielders, is not near as far away from the standard we require as what you are suggesting.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  15. Crilly Hakuhna matata

That's what I'm saying victor was unknown and a monster of a player. People would've said he wasn't needed without seeing him play. We've seen McGinn play as are saying he's not needed (some say). I agree that br could get more out of him and develop him but we also have kouassi there who looks a beast and can develop. Also we have the funds to spend say 5mil on another cm of better quality than McGinn

16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    McGinn is very aggressive and that' what I love about him and I'm sure Brown commented on his style if play as well.

17. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Not being wide but genuinely curious, who from our current midfield can you see him taking the place of and being an upgrade on?

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not up to him if he goes on loan. It's up to manager. If BR knew how important Scott Brown was going to be last season and knew he would basically go the whole season uninjured he probably would have loaned him out.

I would have preferred him to be loaned out as well but we obviously wanted him here for a reason.

19. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I could see him playing in a three alongside ntcham and brown. I think that could be an effective midfield away in europe.
    I could see him challenging ntcham if he has a dip in form.
    He could be used to rest brown.
    I can see him coming into the side if one of Brown and Ntcham gets injured.
    If Armstrong leaves there will also be a need to add.

20. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

* I was still saying that about Broony until 2 year ago :52:

Said it already but I think we should take the chance on McGinn. He’s the closest thing to Broony in his current form in Scotland.

I like Kouassi and really want to see him get more minutes but McGinn is a different player. The comparisons with Kouassi and Broony are off the mark, from what I’ve seen. I trust Brendans judgement 100% but I can’t see the comparisons in them.

JML67 and G_portillo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.