1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    a wasnt john kennedys biggest fan,but the fact rodgers kept hold of him says a lot.fair play to him.hes only going to improve under rodgers.

Random Review likes this.
  3. hamill

kennedy is still a young coach so he still has a lot to learn and working with a top quality coach like Rodgers is only going to help him personally I think he can benefit from being a coach at celtic

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHN KENNEDY hadn’t even reached the hospital from Hampden but he’d already accepted his fate.

At just 20 years of age — and despite his footballing dreams being savagely put on the line by a diabolical tackle to wreck his left knee — he still had enough emotional control and maturity to be remarkably philosophical.

Not bitter towards Romanian perpetrator Ioan Ganea. And certainly not feeling sorry for himself.

Instead, the Celtic youngster, who had previously demonstrated his huge potential as a polished centre half with stunning displays against Rangers and Barcelona, clinically judged it a serious injury and immediately focused on the long and gruelling rehabilitation ahead.

It turned out to be SEVEN operations and three years sidelined.

But play again he did, although he was cruelly forced to retire in 2009 at the age of just 26.

Kennedy’s incredibly stoic reaction that fateful March evening in 2004 was tribute to his upbringing by parents Anne-Marie — daughter of Celtic and Manchester United legend Jimmy Delaney — and John senior.

Current Hoops boss Brendan Rodgers referenced his first-team coach’s past injury nightmare during a Thursday press conference in the context of last weekend’s shocking tackle on Kieran Tierney by Motherwell’s Ryan Bowman.

And as I sat with Kennedy at the Lennoxtown training base 24 hours later, he opened up on what got him through that night 13 years ago.

The whole episode shaped his character — and still influences him now in his approach as a developing top coach.

Kennedy, 33, said: “I knew pretty quickly it was a serious injury.

“I got my head around that. It was done and I couldn’t reverse it. It was then about dealing with the situation.

“Of course, I was devastated. I was gutted. It was my Scotland debut and I had wanted it to go so much better.

“I knew it was going to be a tough task to get back playing.

“But I got it in my head early doors that I had to face up to it and give a right good go, see how far my rehab could take me.

“I knew straightaway, as I lay on the pitch, that it was a bad injury.

“But it wasn’t for another 24 hours that I found out exactly what was wrong and realised what was in front of me.

“But the club were fantastic and got everything in place very quickly.

“They got me flown out to America and I was able to see the very best surgeon. As I was heading to the hospital that night from Hampden, I was already facing up to it — that’s the way I am and will always be.

“For me, it’s not about holding grudges or looking back or regretting things I did.

“I just saw it as my job. I was desperate to get back — and more for my family than anybody else.

“It probably hit them harder more than me, without a doubt.

“I had my head around it. I knew what I had to do, whereas for my family it was about sitting back and waiting to see what happened.

“I wanted to prove to them I was strong to get back. Hopefully, they were proud that I did manage to get back to a good level. It was hard for me to see my parents being upset.

“But I had to be strong mentally, to show character, to show them I was fine and dealing with it.

“They knew I wasn’t going to give up. It’s the way I’ve been brought up. That was never going to happen.

“If you have a challenge then you stand up to it.

“That’s the way I’ve been raised and it’s credit to my mum and dad the way I handled things back then.

“Ultimately, I didn’t play as many games as I would’ve liked.

“Kieran’s been a Celtic fan all his days. He wants to give everything back. It’s why he’s such a favourite of the fans and everyone in here.

“He’s already a top left-back but he’s going to get better and better. How he responded last week was the same as I did.”

On April 5, 2000, Kennedy — aged just 16 and 231 days — made his Celtic debut against Motherwell as a late sub.

Then boss Kenny Dalglish’s decision to send him on confirmed the Bellshill-born kid as the club’s youngest ever player.

That proud record stood until last May, when striker Jack Aitchison claimed it — ironically also stepping from the bench against Well.

Within four years of his breakthrough, Kennedy would be magnificent against Rangers at Ibrox and Barcelona in the Nou Camp.

But his Hoops bow will always be his top playing memory.

He said: “My debut against Motherwell when I was 16.

“That was the big one. I grew up a Celtic fan and it was what my family gave to me to get me to that point.

“The game was at Parkhead and all my family were there. It’s also the only competitive game that my wife’s been at. We’d not long started going out with each other.”

Kennedy’s association with Celtic now stands at 20 years.

But one day he wants to be a boss in his own right.

He added: “There is a point in time when I do want to be my own man.

“It will be difficult to leave Celtic, but when it happens I won’t look back.

“I’ll just move forward and give my next challenge everything I’ve got.”

John on Lenny

PASSION. Desire. Winner. Three characteristics which spring to mind for John Kennedy when asked to describe Neil Lennon as a Celtic team-mate and then his manager.

Kennedy said: “I was youth and reserve coach when Neil was in charge, but I was still close enough to see how he operated. He has a genuine affection for the club.

“He showed that in the way he set up his teams and the way they played. His passion for Celtic came through in the players.

“He had some great achievements here — European nights, winning titles, winning cups. He did a fantastic job here.

“Neil’s very intelligent. He doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves on that side of it. He’s a very intellectual guy and he understands the game fully.

“His passion is the biggest thing. Yes, sometimes he gets really worked up — but that’s only because he cares.

“Neil would berate you in games if you gave him a bad pass but that’s the way he was. His standards have always been high. He wanted everything done perfectly.”

John on Deila

RONNY DEILA is now a friend for life for John Kennedy.

On June 1, 2014, they were complete strangers. Within a few days, though, unknown Deila became Celtic manager and Kennedy would be invited to be No 3 on his coaching staff.

Kennedy said: “The honest truth is I had an idea of who Ronny was before he became Celtic manager.

“I know a guy who works in England and he knew of Ronny because of his visits from Norway. He said it would be worth me heading over to Norway to have a chat with him. Then suddenly Ronny was becoming Celtic manager.

“We quickly got a good relationship and I now regard him as a very good friend. I think that will always be the case now.

“Ronny put his heart and soul into Celtic. What I really admired about him was that he had the courage of his convictions. He stuck to his guns, even when it would’ve been easy for him to cave in.

“In the first season he got a lot of praise — deservedly so. But Ronny would hold up his hands, in the second season we didn’t do well enough. I learned a lot from him.”

John on Lawwell

CELTIC chief executive Peter Lawwell looked after John Kennedy at his lowest ebb like he was his own son.

The 20-year-old’s career and his world was thrown into turmoil by a brutal tackle from Romanian clogger Ioan Ganea just 14 minutes into his Scotland debut at Hampden on March 31, 2004.

Three painstaking years of rehab, including SEVEN operations, followed before a 2007 comeback — but just two-and-a-half years later, after further setbacks, his left knee was so wrecked he had to quit aged 26.

Lawwell ensured the Bellshill-born star was well looked after; from the best possible medical care to arranging a scouting role which would provide the platform to eventual first-team coach status.

Kennedy said: “Peter’s been heavily involved in making sure I’ve been looked after. I’m very grateful to him.

“Peter’s a fantastic guy to work with. He’s got the club at heart and has a clear vision on how he sees the future for the club.

“I’ve never taken anything for granted and I’ve worked for everything I’ve had here.

“I’ve always wanted to give something back to my employers.”

John on Rodgers

SIMPLY on another level. Of the three gaffers John Kennedy’s worked for as a coach, he regards Brendan Rodgers as a class above.

He said: “It’s the detail he puts into everything, his preparation for training and games.

“You see the level of detail and standard he expects. Everything he does is top notch.

“The period between Ronny going and Brendan coming in was the one time when I genuinely thought I could be away from Celtic.

“I wondered if it would be a manager I didn’t get along with or wasn’t my cup of tea. But as soon as I spoke to Brendan, I wanted to stay. He’s a top-class manager.

“Brendan gave me an opportunity I couldn’t turn down and, having worked with him throughout this season, I can truly appreciate he’s different class.

“He’s excellent with people at every level of the club and has real conviction in his decision making. That’s been the big improvement this season — people don’t cut any corners or take the easy option.”

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JK on the Glasgow derby: We’re disappointed because we wanted to win. The reality is we didn’t play well enough.

JK: It’s important that we remain unbeaten and it’s credit to the players for that.

JK on penalty claim: There was minimal contact on the penalty, I’ve been in that situation myself as a defender, it was last gasp.

JK: We lost a little bit of focus towards the end but controlled the game for the most part, probably a fair result over 90 minutes.

JK: Great to stay unbeaten & take a point, keeps the momentum going. We're disappointed but it’s a huge positive that we can be on this run.

Eazey likes this.
  6. Eazey

JK is spot on here.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    No, he's not. There wasn't minimal contact. There was waist high clear contact.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Saying it wasn't a penalty near enough..

Clown..

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Michael Stewart on Sportscene got it spot on.

10. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Embarrassing comments from Kennedy * clown

11. Henke102

Sure Rodgers won't be happy one of his assistant coaches is giving the media an opposite opinion after he said it was a clear penalty.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The quote can be taken either way.

He says contact was minimal - is this the ball or the man? If he is referring to the ball then he is correct and as everyone knows including Bobby Madden it was a penalty.

I doubt he'd come out and contradict the manager. If he has then he's a * for doing so and trying to attempt to justify that decision.

Depends how you interpret his comments.

13. The Celtic Way

how come he was not in the staff pic last night with the 3 trophys, and he also never came onto the park today with the rest of the staff, i was at the game yesterday so never seen anything on tv, but was he in the dug out during the game ?

14. Paul McAuley

On holiday maybe?

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He was on the pitch during the celebrations. Saw him with Tierney a few times.

16. The Celtic Way

im sure he would have been there, just weird he got left out the staff pic last night, and never walked onto the park today with the staff.

17. The Celtic Way

found him in the group pic back at the ground last night, strange he was left out the staff pic with the trophy and also never came on today.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JK: It hasn’t quite sunk in yet! But, being back in front of the trophies today gives me a very welcome reminder, so it's nice.

JK: It’s been a tough season and we’ve played a lot of games so it’s nice to be able to see the trophies as a mark of what we’ve achieved.

JK: We enjoyed the moment & when you step away from it you get a real sense of what we’ve done this season, which has been very special.

JK: There was a lot of emotion involved and there was a sense of relief, but more importantly there was pride in what we’d just achieved.

JK: It would have been sad if all of the work that we’d put in had fallen just short of the treble, but we managed to achieve it.

JK: It’s all credit to the players, staff and everyone who has been involved. Hopefully, we’ve given the fans a summer to celebrate.

JK: People talk about bringing in players, but when we’ve had the season we’ve had, the important thing is that we have stability.

JK: We need to make sure that we have consistency within the squad and if we can add one or two, then that’s great.

JK: We just need to get the group together again and refocus our efforts for next year, and we go again.

CELTIC’S sensational trophy haul was back on display today as John Kennedy arrived in Paradise to promote a special edition of the Celtic View, dedicated to this season’s ‘Invincible’ treble-winners.

The 100-page souvenir special will be on sale from this Saturday, June 3, and is jam-packed with exclusive Brendan Rodgers' interviews and player reaction to the Hoops' historic 2016/17 campaign, a must-have piece of memorabilia for any Celtic fan.

Speaking on the magnificent invincible treble triumph, John Kennedy admitted that the scale of this season’s achievements has still to fully sink in.

The first-team coach said: “Being back in today and standing in front of the trophies gives me a very welcome reminder, though, so it’s nice. It’s been a tough season and we’ve played a lot of games, so it’s good to be able to see the trophies as a mark of what we’ve achieved.

“We enjoyed the moment at the time and when you step away from it for a bit you can get a sense of what we’ve done this season, which we know has been something really special.

“There was a lot of emotion involved, especially with the amount of work that went into the season. And there is a sense of relief, because the closer that we got to the final we knew that it was within touching distance, so there was relief. But more importantly there was pride in what we had just achieved.”

In his maiden year at the helm, Brendan Rodgers led his Celtic team to a full season undefeated in domestic competition and the result was a magnificent clean sweep of honours, and the club’s first treble since 2001. And Kennedy believes the key to such a successful term was the consistency with which each game was approached.

He said: “Going into the final was the first time that we talked about the treble as a real possibility. Obviously, it was always in the back of our minds that we’d won the league title and the League Cup, but our approach never changed over the whole season and I think that was an important factor.

“We went into every game in the same manner and with the same preparation in training. We had the same attitude in every game, and the final was never mentioned before we picked up the league trophy against Hearts. It’s how we worked all season and it worked very well. I imagine we’ll be going into pre-season with the exact same approach.

“It would have been sad if all of the work that we’d put into this season had fallen just short of the treble, but we managed to achieve it. It’s great credit to all the players, staff and everyone who has been involved. Hopefully, we’ve given the fans a summer to celebrate.”

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Bit weird nobody seems to be giving him any credit, when apparently everything was his fault under Ronny...

Sean Daleer likes this.
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Rumour on the forum that shall not be named that he might be leaving.