1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    JK speaks very well, no bull... think Lenny him and broony plus players BR backlash will definitely spur us on

Tommy25 and seanm like this.
  2. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    John Kennedy's Celtic Through and Through, just like me and you he hates Brendan too :ynwacelti

3. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Aye, the club always comes first and although BR had run up a brilliant record he has been outed he was never Celtic through and through or he would have stayed and finished the treble treble : personally I feel a weight has been lifted and look forward to Lenny and JK long may they reign

Tommy25, seanm and W33kev like this.
  4. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    The thunder is here so I don't need to bring that back. Lennon

5. Keano88

Great quote.

Tommy25, seanm and Whoflungdung like this.
  6. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Honest quote telling it as it is...n snake oil sales talking !!!

7. DamienCorkBhoy

I'll this definite that he asked JK , SW and TW to go to Leicester with him?

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEW Celtic interim assistant manager John Kennedy today insisted the shock departure of Brendan Rodgers’ won’t affect the Parkhead players’ as they attempt to land the treble treble.

Kennedy was a key member of Rodgers’ back room team during the last two-and-a-half years and has stepped up to assist the Northern Irishman's temporary replacement Neil Lennon until the end of the season.

Scott Brown and his team mates have been left stunned by the sudden exit of Rodgers, who agreed to take charge of Premier League club Leicester City yesterday, at this stage in the season.

They are bidding to become the first club in Scottish football history to complete a clean sweep of domestic trophies in three consecutive seasons.

Celtic are eight points clear at the top of the Ladbrokes Premiership heading into their difficult league game against Hearts at Tynecastle this evening and play Hibernian in the William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-final at Easter Road on Saturday evening.

Kennedy admitted there will be speculation linking Celtic players with moves to Leicester in the coming weeks.

But he backed them to maintain their impressive run of form – they have won all nine of their domestic fixtures in 2019 – and land more silverware.

When managers move there could be movement,” he said. “But the players are fully focused on the here and now. Nobody’s head has been turned. The summer will come, but the players know they are here to the summer to do a job.

“Brendan has done a terrific job and he has decided to move on. But the players have been a massive part of the success as well. They have won two trebles and are sitting in a fantastic position at the moment.

"Neil has been here before so for me the transition will be quite easy. He is very well suited to the job.”

Several Celtic players, including Dedryck Boyata and Mikael Lustig, are out of contract at the end of the 2018/19 campaign while loanees Filip Benkovic, Oliver Burke, Jeremy Toljan and Timothy Weah should return to their parent clubs.

However, Kennedy stressed that preparations for next season would continue despite Lennon only being put in charge on a temporary basis. “The planning doesn’t stop,” he said. “We know there will be changes in the summer. But it is about the club.”

Asked for his thoughts about Rodgers leaving, Kennedy said: “It is Brendan’s decision. You would have to ask him. He is the only one who could tell you. It is about the club and the players now.

“I spoke to Brendan before he departed Lennoxtown and he filled me in on what was going on. I was asked by the club to prepare the team for Wednesday which I did. The club is most important thing

“I had a very good time here under him. The manager when he was leaving asked me to be prepared to take the team. It has quickly evolved to the situation where Neil has asked me to be his assistant.”

Tommy25 and ThatBhoyLarsson like this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    * respect for the loyalty he’s shown. Along with Stevie Woods as well.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I would love to have been present when JK told the ego "Naw I'm staying here, SO * OFF YAA *"

Tommy25 and eire4 like this.
  11. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    sounds like a few wheels in motion here

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Loco-Motion.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He is not ‘the defensive coach’ he was only briefly under Ronny.

14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Always liked him and even more so now, think him and Lenny will be a great duo for the rest of the season and possibly beyond. Loyalty is something you can’t buy, lucky we have many people in and around the club that think of the club first and not themsleves.

Tommy25 and eire4 like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHN Kennedy came through the ranks at Celtic, a successful Academy graduate who made it all the way to the first-team. And even after his playing career came to a premature end, he remained at the club as he developed his coaching career.

For the past two-and-a-half years, that has been as first-team coach. Now, he has stepped up as assistant manager, providing a level of continuity with the arrival of Neil Lennon to replace Brendan Rodgers as manager.

That continuity has meant preparing the players for tonight’s Premiership match against Hearts at Tynecastle, and like Neil Lennon, John Kennedy was also keen to emphasise that the club is the priority and ensuring that the players who have delivered so much success in recent seasons remain focused on trying to continue that in the months ahead.

Speaking at Celtic Park today, John Kennedy said: “I’ve had a very good time here at Celtic and I have worked my way up to this point. Neil has asked me to be his assistant, and I’m delighted to do that. There is a lot of stability here behind the scenes.

“For me, I have a job to do and I work for Celtic, and our first order is Hearts tonight. Speaking to the players yesterday at training, we’re fully focused on the here and now, and the full focus is on the game tonight. The players know what we expect from them, and they know what the supporters expect.

“I spoke to Brendan before he departed Lennoxtown. In that time, I was approached by the club and asked to keep things ticking along and organise the team for Wednesday.

“Brendan has done a terrific job and things have happened, but the players have also done a terrific job. They, as a whole, have won two trebles.

“For me, the transition will be easy. When Neil was here, he was very successful, and when he was at Hibs, we found those games very difficult.

“Behind the scenes, Neil has come into this at a good time. In terms of planning, it doesn’t stop. The bigger picture is that it’s about the club, the club work in a certain manner, and Neil will put his own style on that.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song

17. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    JK : after Rodgers walked out on the club for Leicester City, Kennedy was forced to break the bombshell news to a stunned Hoops squad.

"I spoke to the players yesterday, filled them in on what was going on. I explained there was a possibility the manager might be appointed later last night and the restructuring.

"I explained that ultimately the team have went out there and performed for the manager.

"So for them as a whole, they’ve won two trebles, they’re sitting in a fantastic position at the moment.

Tommy25 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

John Kennedy rebuffed the call to head to Leicester alongside Brendan Rodgers, Chris Davies and Kolo Toure with the 35-year-old insisting that the emotional pull of Celtic was too difficult to sever.

“There wasn’t a moment when I might have gone too,” admitted Kennedy.

Instead, the young coach found himself on the cusp of being thrown into the role with Peter Lawell pulling up at Lennoxtown on Monday afternoon as Rodgers was heading to Leicester to formalise his move to the Premier League side. As it transpired, Neil Lennon was in place in time for the game against Hearts as Celtic moved swiftly but it was Kennedy who was asked to hold fort in the immediate and shocking aftermath of Rodgers' exit.

I’d a great relationship with Brendan,” said Kennedy. “The first I spoke with him about this was Monday morning. He said he was probably going to speak with Leicester and to get ready to take the team.

“Peter arrived at the training ground in the afternoon, discussed the possible plans and told me that I was wanted here, to prepare the team and if there was going to be an appointment that I’d be assistant manager.

“For me, I’ve had a really close attachment with this club. A lot of people say it and that kind of stuff.

“But I’ve spent a large chunk of my life here in terms of being a player and working behind the scenes. There’s certainly an emotional attachment there. To leave would be very difficult for me. This is another great opportunity for me to move up and progress and hopefully finish the job that’s been started.”

Kennedy was in the dugout on Wednesday night as Neil Lennon made his return to Celtic. The Irishman’s second stint in the managerial seat got off to a scripted start with a last minute winner at Tynecastle

It's a short period now until the end of the season but I know what he's like and he's a born winner,” said Kennedy who was a player alongside Lennon under Martin O’Neill. He appreciates that Lennon was a safe bet in the short term option and has acknowledged that his stay could well last longer that the summer.

He wants to come in and achieve things, knowing the culture here.

"He knows the environment so nothing is going to shock him, nothing is going to surprise him.

"As soon as he stepped into the role he knew what he was walking into.

"He will quickly assess the players but having been around the games, and having been with Hibs, he'll already have a good grasp on who they are and what they are about. He'll now just get to know them a bit more intimately and build relationships.

"I'm sure he'll be a huge success and then in the summer we'll see where the thing goes.

"But he would certainly be one, longer term, who would be a strong candidate."

Kennedy, admitted, however that there was a shock for the players this week as news broke that Rodgers was on his way out the back door of the club to Leicester.

“It has been a bit of a whirlwind but it’s been good that’s there’s a bit of closure as well because sometimes when these things happen it drags on for a bit but the club have been well prepared and got things sorted very quickly so we move on,” he said.

“When the players came in (to the news) it was a case of ‘what’s going on?’ so I was honest with them and told them the situation and what was possibly going to happen in the next 24 hours.

“Much as the success we’ve had and Brendan going might turn a few heads and create uncertainty, players still have to go and deliver success. A manager leads it and will be the face of it but players are the most important people at any club as they are the ones who step on the pitch and have to deliver for the manager.

I’ve seen numerous good managers that players don’t perform for and they are out of a job. Brendan has come in, a fantastic manager with a fantastic group of players, and it clicked so we were successful.

“Players are a huge part of that. The support behind them with the backroom staff is very stable as well.

“We’re in a good place. Often when these things happen, it can be a moment of crisis or turmoil and players aren’t confident and things are all over the place.

“But behind the scenes things are very stable. Neil will add to that, put his stamp on it and we kick on from there.”

There remains a palpable anger from the support over the timing of Rodgers’ exit but the focus will move sharply given the games that lie in wait for Celtic now.

Lennon faces a return to Easter Road on Saturday evening in a Scottish Cup quarter-final tie before games against Aberdeen and Rangers at the end of the month. Such games will shape how Celtic’s season plays out.

"They are all in a good place,” stressed Kennedy.

"The response in training on Tuesday was very, very positive. There was almost a cause for them because they want to prove 'okay, the manager has left but we're as strong as ever.' "

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Consistently growing in stature, love the guy.

Tommy25, Sean Daleer and Rydo1888* like this.
  20. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He has given large part of his life to celtic. an honourable guy and a loyal celt.

Should be manager one day he deserves it.

Love the part where he called out brendan "alot of people say it and that kind of stuff" ......well said!!

Tommy25 and littlekennie like this.