1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Maximillian, Oct 16, 2018.

Discuss January Transfer Window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Ideally we need to scout 3-4 younger players for 3-5m RB,CB,MF etc on the continent possibly like we did with Van Dijk,Wanyama,Ntcham,Edouard etc good quality players and freshen the squad up with a few fringe players leaving, And with a view to selling them on in a few years again.
    Roberts is only 21 but can't see the board paying the money for him as 1 signing and we would probably have to wait next summer for him anyway you wouldn't lose money on players like him though who you know are quality with best years ahead.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

This is my worry. I think that summer has sickened him and he'll now have his head turned by opportunities that wouldn't have if we had backed him as we should have.

If the board have any suspicions he might go then I expect they will only provide investment if we haven't put daylight between ourselves and the rest in the league.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    What worries me if we had backed him like he wanted backed we would have McKenna and McGinn and be £10million worse off without the team being any better.

Valhalla, Westlondonscot, HTG and 2 others like this.
  4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    As long as we don't go back after that * absolute riddy McKenna then It can't be much worse than summer.

We need
    2X Centre backs that are ours!
    1X RB
    1X CF

anything else is a bonus, it's unlikely we will rid of all the player we need to but the likes of Allan and Compper can be * off, also players like Kouassi and Gamboa can be sold even though they should be pushing for team but Rodgers has a hard on for Lustig and doesn't rate Kouassi for some reason. Boyata will hopefully leave because he is a * * so we need to get 2 proper decent centre halves which means we'll end up with McKenna and Hendrys Mam

Xatraps likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Bidding for McKenna was only as a result for missing out on his top target Schar. As inexcusable as that still is. We'd be in a much stronger position had we signed McGinn, Schar and Piccini.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The thing with Shar, (without knowing the whole story of course)as soon as his agents touted him to the EPL and the interest was reciprocated, he was never coming here.

Us being linked with a player is a green light for agents to put out the feelers to the English Championship and bottom end of the EPL. The quality players we get in are usually a bit out of leftfield with no fuss or media attention, they just arrive.

If a quality player is linked with us and it’s highlighted in the media or even ITK hacks, I always think that’s unlikely to happen.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I agree that there would be agents who would use our interest as leverage to gain the best deal for their man.

Had we exercised his buy-out clause and made him an offer before the World Cup then who knows? But we sat on it, waited and waited and by the time Newcastle were interested we are blown out of the water wages wise.

It's all hypothetical I guess but had we signed all those players - for the fees they moved for - and Edouard we'd still have came out of the summer with a £10 million surplus and very likely would also have qualified for the Champions League too. I'm still seething about how we went about our business.

Tommy25 and JC Anton like this.
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What players should and more to the point COULD get in in January.
    Need new keeper and get rid of Gordon.
    Need better defence to base on Tierney.
    Need stronger midfield to base on Brown's replacement whoever that will be.
    Couple of better attackers to compliment Griff.
    Get rid of a few from first team to cover for some of the wages that will be used to pay for new players.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I’m sure BR is still seething too.. even though he takes a share of the blame..

This window is a make or break for his tenure, he may have already decided to walk at the end of the season, another poor window and it’s a cert..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, that makes it a weird one. If he's decided this is his last season and is going next summer then giving him big money in January makes no sense. If that was the case then potentially lumbering a new manager with more players to an already bloated squad and slashing their budget would be counter-productive.

I doubt Rodgers would let on if he was moving as he'll be aware that it might come into their thinking when releasing funds for signings.

JC Anton likes this.
  11. celtic warrior

I think if the board want Rodgers to stay and continue the success he's bringing on and off pitch then they need to give something worthwhile in January.

Something that, even given the difficulty that is the January window, shows that the board are realising they can't continue to penny pinch the way they have and Rodgers deserves more freedom in the window.

If not, like how others have suggested if Rodgers believes this to be his last season here then all it will achieve is bringing that feeling home for him and make it a cert he leave.

JC Anton likes this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye its a difficult one to gauge and a difficult one for the board if he hasn't made his intentions clear.

However, any new manager coming in would be able to see where we need to strengthen. If we add real quality at CB, RB & ST.. just three quality players I'd be happy.. those additions are needed for any manager BR or a new man.

In this window it's also essential we offload the deadwood too.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I want a new GK too, but if BR was to leave in the summer I'd be happy for the new man to make that decision..

14. Crilly

New gk, new rb, new cb, new st is a must I think. Well new st maybe not a must but we need a striker who will be a consistent goal scorer. I like our two strikers but the consistency isn't the here yet.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Be prepared for another anti-climax. Feels like groundhog day every Window, there's always 'needs' which never materialise. They want Champions League qualification but aren't prepared to provide the appropriate building blocks to achieve it.

There aren't actually many 'needs' in terms of domestic competition but we should be strengthening; right back, goalkeeper, another forward and the never ending chase for a class playmaker. We should also be looking at the middle of defence so we're not in the same position with them as we are now with the attack and Dembele leaving.

Mince.Charming and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The cull is as important as bringing in new players. It's led to a criminal wage bill and a demotivated squad with guys turning up to get their card stamped so their wages drop in on a Friday morning.

It's important we try to maximise the value we get out of our wage budget as we're already up against it in Europe against teams with multiples of our budget, without frittering away hundreds of thousands £ per week on guys that aren't contributing. We need that healthy competition back for places, we've went stale with guys knowing that whatever mistake they make they'll still be selected for the next game.

I'm surprised that more of an effort wasn't made to ship out guys like Kouassi, De Vries, Allan, Benyu etc. when they're nowhere near the manager's plans.

Xatraps and JC Anton like this.
  17. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    We will get * all. I've fallen for it every window and I'm not falling for it again.

Crilly and Tommy25 like this.
  18. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    A pacy attacking right back
    A solid centre back
    A winger
    A striker
    A dynamic midfielder in the mould of Armstrong

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

A loan and a we tried added on top.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Keepers
    We need a new number 1. Not a Jan priority imo. Gordon to be fair has attempted to play as Brendan wanted but it just hasn’t worked out. Bain as a 2 is fine. Hazard needs a season out on loan, I don’t see the point of him being kept as a 4th choice. De Vries is poor, however as he seems to be accepting of his 3 choice position we could do worse than giving him a one year to remain as a third choice & getting a youth keeper to be the 4th for training sessions. We’d need to be very unlucky to end up with first and second choice out and forced to play De Vries.

Jan - loan Hazard.

Summer 2019 - Sign new keeper & move Gordon, minimal fee if any but free his wages. Decide on De Vries.

Defence
    Gamboa, Izzy, Boyata all off in summer 2019. I doubt Gamboa would stay on, Izzy I’d think of a one year extension. Jozo stays because basically we don’t have any choice. In summer 2019 Jozo, Ajer & Hendry are our only central defenders. Ralston out on loan.
    Right full needed summer 2019. Lustig as backup or allowed to move on. Doubt we’d get much if anything but his wages are freed up.

Jan - Release Compper asap. Take a fee for Boyata. Sign a permanent CB. Loan Ralston.

Summer 2019 - Gamboa & Izzy wages freed up, plus Benkovics if we are paying any portion of his. Need a right full and at least one centre half, more if none signed in Jan plus a left full back up. Make a decision on Ralston & Hendry.

Midfield
    Allen & Christie contract up in summer 2019. Allen needs moving asap & Christie probably won’t sign another deal so listen to any offers. Ntcham finishes this mythical Celtic 2 year stay in summer 2019, decision to be made there. Kouassi needs a loan out. As an Irishman I’d love to hang onto Hayes but realistically he can go. Bitton will most likely be kept. Benyu * knows. Sinclairs form means a decision need to be made with him in the summer considering his wages, I’d like him to stay. Arzani staying is pointless imo.

Jan – striker & centre half are priority but an energetic central mid would be welcome. Release Allen, take a fee for Christie, Hayes & Benyu if possible otherwise sell summer 2019, I'd look to offload Bitton but I think he'll be kept. Send Arzani home. Loan Kouassi.

Summer 2019 – lots of work. 2 central mid at least, a holding mid and depending on Jan a box to box central mid and a ‘number 10’. A left winger depending on Sinclair & Morgans progress to this point.

Strikers
    Eddy completes his two year in summer 2019, he should be made aware he’s staying. Griff is here long term. Another striker needed, possibly 2.

Jan – get a striker in

Summer 2019 - get a striker in

Wages freed Jan – Compper, Boyata, Allen but payoff required for Compper & Allen
    Fees – Anything for Boyata, Hayes, Christie, Benyu, Bitton
    Buy – Centre half & striker

Surely there has to be at least one from the reserves ready to be promoted next summer. And no more loans or projects please.