1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Nov 22, 2017.

Discuss January Transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Funny how quickly people forget beating Anderlecht 3-0 and a fantastic performance against Bayern.

2. shaunm

Not long until the transfer window opens,how much money do you reckon will be made available for Brendan to spend?If we qualify for Europa league money needs spent,who do you think we can afford and can come in and improve the side?

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

2 quid, a packet or crisps, 4 promises and 1 "we tried, just couldn't get it over the line in time" and a last day loan.

shaunm likes this.
  4. Murph-E

Spend, spend, spend.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Rodgers has already said he’ll be looking at strengthening. If the board don’t back him now they run the real risk of * him off.

GK, RB,CB are the 3 areas I’d be looking at. I highly doubt we’ll get all 3 in Jan but with 4 rounds of UCL qualifiers starting during the World Cup when we’ll have players out, we need to ensure we’re giving ourselves the best chance.

Twisty likes this.
  6. shaunm

I think we need a new gk,don't think it will happen though,Brendan gave Gordon and DDV new contracts did he not?

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't think it's a question of a certain amount of cash, it's what's needed for next seasons CL.

BR had correctly identified this as our most important window, due to the early start of our season.

But, it's a notoriously difficult window to operate in and we need to make sure we add quality and not just add for the sake of it..

What we need for next season and should endeavour to get in, in Jan:-

GK - One who can play the way BR wants the game played, a good stopper who can pass.
    CB - x 2 ... Jury out on all our CBs, Simunovic and Boyata have potential but need to put in consistent performances between now and the end of the season.
    DM - It's crazy with all our CMs that none are really defensive minded first and foremost. Would like to see more of Kouassi but against the best teams in Europe we need a protector in that position.
    LW/RW - Paddy on a perm or a replacement in.
    LB - No cover for KT we are playing him an awful lot. If not would like to see a bit more of Calvin Miller to see if he can step up and save us buying. Could leave to the summer.

Punt-

With regret but with no other option Armstrong.
    Sviatchenko
    Gamboa don't need 3 RBs, would rather develop Ralston. Gamboa not done anything wrong but you would have thought he would have featured more, so there must be something not quite right.

What we'll get..

A CB..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That time of year again yipee lets save the time and just say the board are * now as that's how the thread will end anyway :giggle1:

9. shaunm

Brendan has said he likes a small squad,so younger players can come through so in our problem areas which is gk and defence we have

GK Gordon DDV Hazard
    RB Lustig Ralston Gamboa
    CB Simunovic Boyata Sviatchenko Ajer Bitton
    LB Tierney Miller

So looking at that and Brendan saying he wants a small squad so youngsters can break through some of these players need to move on,DDV,Gamboa,sviatchenko,Boyata and Bitton for me

10. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    A goalkeeper and a centre half should be absolute priorities in January. A RB if anything is left over if possible as we need better cover and better competition for Lustig in the long term.

Should be looking to send Ajer and Johnston out on loan ideally as well.

Lose Gamboa, who will be looking to move for more game time with the WC coming up. Same with Sviatchenko. Can't see them hanging around and jeopardising their potential involvement at the WC. Annoyed with the Sviatchenko situation as I thought he could come back into the fold and prove to be a good centre half but it doesn't look like that will be the case.

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It wont as long as they back the manager.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  12. shaunm

Who was bought last January?just Eboue?

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    They have so far , so I doubt that will change. Although if we don't get a GK, for example, some will view that as the board being tight and obviously nothing to do with BR potentially not even wanting one.

14. Murph-E

I'd cash in on Simunovic if we bring in a good CB before Boyata or Sviatchenko tbh. Overrated player frequently caught out in Europe imo, harsh I know but I've been thinking it for a while now.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think it's time we spent a good wee bit on some quality.

Brendan says himself that January is the most important window for us so let's see that reflected in the signings.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's a tricky market at that time of year Tbf, with most players worth adding are probably flying with their clubs or involved in European Competition.. so prices can be inflated.. can we afford to pay over the odds and get a reputation of a club who will pay over the odds in the Jan window, no..

Yet it has become our most important time to do business, Im glad BR has recognised this and the board will be well aware too.

This is when our Scouting network becomes so important, we need to tap into non European markets at this time of year imo.. or get talent from teams who aren't challenging with their clubs in Europe..

I do think we will see more movement than normal but only if we can get the right players at the right price. Which as I said no easy..

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    This the whole amount from a former defender vvd should be spent on the defence the rest of the team takes care of its self like wise if Armstrong was sold I'd expect the money invested in that area or if attacker was sold I'd invest that back into that area

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

18. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It more the injuries for me can keep him I'd he's not playing majority of games and missing big games also

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

19. apevrak

We already got Christie out on loan, he'll take Armstrongs place if he leave

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Needs to beef up a bit IMO. He Has great technique but needs the physicality to match it if he’s to break into our team.