1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Nov 22, 2017.

Discuss January Transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freitassen

Hradecky and Vorm. Both quite good. Krul also could work.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, I don't think it's disingenuous to celebrate our domestic record because I don't think the team or club is absolved of criticism or scrutiny after last night's shambles. We should still be aiming to be better than we were last night. I didn't claim it should be ignored.
    I agree with a need to be more pragmatic, but disagree with what you claim is our biggest weakness. No-one was criticising our approach when we played Bayern at home.

Even a park the bus style tactic doesn't work, when the likes of Neymar are playing that well.

3. Darnok

That's not really the point. The disparity in money works both ways for us. We're not the best team in Scotland by some distance because of anything but having the money to pay for the best players and manager.

4. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Shooders wants a neck if the surgery is open ;-)

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Tell him to hold his horses.

Gordon's ahead of him for brain surgery and Bitton's down for a new heart too.

bkk bhoy likes this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It actually prevents them from playing well. Parking the bus takes away the space for such players to dribble or run.
    On topic: we also need a staff surgery, Transplant a coach or an Assistant Manager who excels at setting up defensive matters. Davies can stay as a Data Analyst. I realize Rodgers isn't an expert on defense, but we need someone who is.

7. Pacific Ocean Blue

Some people need a reality check: yes we are a big club but we have zero resources compared to teams like Barca/Real/PSG/Bayern etc etc. As soon as Celtic went ahead I said to my dad we'll lose 5-1 or more

The gap is too big at that level, Celtic could go and spend 30 million next Summer and the same result likely happen

8. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Folk are making the point that Strachan used to park the bus and we never used to get humped by 7, as true as this may be I genuinely believe in that 10 years the gulf between the top sides and clubs like Celtic has widened at an alarming pace, our top signing in the summer was 4 million there's over 200 million, that's 50 times more and they are signing others on similar fees, that gulf in finance was not as extreme back then, now it's almost as if you can assemble a world XI every summer if you are PSG or Barcelona, it's clearly harder now than under WGS to make a good fist against these type of teams, parking the bus I don't think will do anything for our results....only the unlikely event of a massive step up in finances for Brendan to spend could plug this ever increasing gap

Momo Sylla likes this.
  9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Would take Vorm or Consigli no chance of getting Kapa from Bilbao talk is he is off to Real.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

* parking the bus. We actually played football for periods last night. I hated lennons games. 2 passes and balls lost. Brendans right. Id fully allow a big chunk of cash on a hard nut cb though.

Ghotti Bhoy likes this.
  11. bowroadbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song, Oh' Hampden in the sun,Fields of Athenry
    Whilst Brendon is great for attacking football he totally and utterly has not got a clue about defending. We lack class at the back (maybe apart from Tierny) but we were aware of that before the champions league started. A Celtic team should never be beaten in this manner! PSG are special and will go on and win the completion, I just hope they draw a couple of the English teams on the way and thump them; this maybe shut the patronising commentating arseholes who are absolutely loving this.

12. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    sign 90% of our players up for new spines & a set of large balls each...:101:

13. simpy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson,charlie nicklas(1st season)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    How do people expect Celtic to go and get quality players when we can't keep the like of Foster,Van Dijk,Wanyama soon as we get good players there off to the Epl for big money

14. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Was Vorm at Swansea with Rodgers?

15. apevrak

BR actually signed him as Swansea manager.

Vorm is probably the best shout. He's third in the Spurs pecking order, behind Lloris and Gazzaniga. Only doubt is that he's not played much over the last seasons, so don't know how good he really is nowadays.

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  16. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    would take the nice goalkeeper yoan cardinal.young and experianced

17. jvalin

Do you guys want us to sell out for money? Cause if that's the case, why not move to England as well and become a plastic club? Is that what you want?

Let's face it, we cannot compete financially with the top teams from Europe. There is no shame whatsoever in that.

What I would do

January

- new CB
    - Danny Ward (loan with an option to buy?)

summer

- McGinn
    - a replacement for Paddy (unless we can sign Paddy himself:))
    - a full back that can play both right and left
    - a third choice striker

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Creativecelt likes this.
  18. apevrak

Think most of us just want the club to fulfill it's potential and reach the later stages of the Europa League while going for the 10IAR. It's possible, but we need some investment in key areas as you already pointed out.

19. Mr Brown's Bhoys

I'm very disappointed and a bit embarrassed but lets see how we perform against Anderlect at home. I don't think there's any need to panic yet. Our Bayern performance was brilliant and to be fair the first 20 minutes was very promising - up to maybe going 2-1 down. Obviously we scored but there were three or so attacks where we looked like scoring and some tidy football but then the cracks appeared.

On a tactical note, I really don't like us playing with a flat three in midfield. There's no Lennon or Wanyama to plug that number 10 space which surprises me because at Brown's age I think he should be doing that and letting McGregor/ Ntcham/ whoever link in front.

There's alot of question marks against members of our squad but a win against Anderlect and potential games in the EL can answer those questions - either way.

The only player I'm underwhelmed by is Ntcham, big money and not doing a lot - but he is young. On the keeper talk, I saw Joel Robles mentioned as a free but nobody who responded to the post mentions him. He was at Wigan under Martinez so a very similar style of football. Plus he was in a weak team which means there will be evidence as to whether or not he can save a ball too.

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would love us to sign a Keeper and a very good centre half but knowing Celtic we will sign someone like Wilo Flood.

If we don't bring anyone in during the January window we need to be making sure the players we are looking at deals are done very early and none of this wait and see * again.

In the next two windows these are the positins we need to strengthen.

Keeper is a must
    Centre half or possibly two
    Right winger if we don't sign Paddy on a perminant deal.
    A real number 10 who can make a difference in Europe.

* forbid we lose Moussa then someone to replace him if we can hold onto him for another season then a third choice forward.

I know that mean seem a lot but we need to add quality and should be looking to add each year.