1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Nov 22, 2017.

Discuss January Transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Window for me is a bit Jekyll and Hyde

We knew we needed people for up top got 3 in the space of a week. Burke and Weah look useful players and can also play wide so all good.

Signed 3 development players and sent them back out on loan that’s fine.

Finally got right back cover.

But with Rodgers knowing since the start of the week that both Benkovic and Boyata are out until March we didn’t by the looks of it try to sign anyone on loan we simply said Simunovic and Ajer are now first picks with Bitton and Hendry as back up plus Marvin is still here!!!!

As others have said most the deadwood is away in the summer out of contract but you also have 3 of the back 4 who are first Choice away plus 3 other signings on loan!

Then coming out from Broony Lawwell would only offer him a 1 year extension until Brendan stepped in!

Short sighted
    Neglected
    Manager away
    Board being *

You pick! Anyway 16 weeks from now the season is done and we will know where we are on every front for the 2019/2020 season!

john2061 and Mystic Penguin like this.
  2. M 67

Well I touched on what I thought were behind the loans -
    Weah to cover Griff
    Burke to cover Arzini
    The right back is disappointing but we have 4 right backs in our first team. Hopefully we will sign a permanent one (hopefully the Dortmund lad) when Gamboa and Lustig leave.

It’s just speculation though!

I agree that loans are not the answer but they’re just plugging some holes.

Regardless, I think we need clarity re: if Lawwell is acting as a DoF.

3. M 67

I disagree but hey ho

Edit - that was for john2061 but the quote function went mental :97:

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I agree with you they're plugging holes but I think that's exactly why Brendan will be off.

History tells us the board tend to hide the chequebook when they think the manager might be leaving.

5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Thing is come the summer we will need two centre half’s like you have said, a right back again and cover for KT, so a whole new back four. 6 windows and we have not addressed this issue.

Rodgers came out and said he knew nothing about Shved and it’s not the first time he has said something like that the young lad from Oz who is on loan from City is another.

It’s like the board are actively trying to restrict him because he has been successful are they worried he wants more money when a new deal is being put forward? I mean Lawwell won’t want to give up any of his massive salary or bonus.

I still think we need someone to come and take over from Brown, he should be a bit part player next season.

We don’t know if the Thumb will ever get back to his old goal scoring ways so we may need another forward as well, we don’t have cover for Forrest either.

I have a very bad feeling about this summer, Rodgers could leave and if he does the 10 is gone. Lawwell will employ someone cheap and we will lose the league.

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    “Lawwell won’t give up his salary or bonus”

The * and the board gave him 104% pay rise. Then introduced the LTIP bonus scheme where he will take in millions on top every few years!

This * needs hounded out and his Tory board with them!

The minute Bankier attacked the Celtic fans at the AGM he should have been removed.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I am sorry but the CEO of any football club shouldn’t be paid more than most the players and the manager.

This * stuck his head in the sand with res12 for me!

You seen it in the double treble DVD and the Q&A

“For me Brendan done a double quadruple as we got the CL”

Balance Sheet CSC happy clapping

And before anyone says about Brendan being backed aye he has spent over £30m brought in £33m plus we got the £7.5m for VVD but it wasn’t Lawwell who developed Armstrong and Dembele to get £28m in it was Brendan.

Peter Lawwell is only interested in Peter lawwell

8. joemc

The Scot Allan thing tae me was hibs being cheeky c#nts , wanted to take him now but would not cover the remainder of his contract , it's the only way this didnt happen,so Allan stayed to keep his higher wage .

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think this window was about getting quality in to finish the season in Burke, Weah and Toljan with possibility of buying Toljan for Lustigs replacement. Then bringing in youngsters, the loan market is something we will start using more often due to the fees quality players demand now.

Best January window I can remember in terms of getting in what we need except a centre back. That’s my only negative, that we hadn’t scouted a centre back to buy when we know Boyata and Benkovic will be gone at the end of the season leaving Jozo, Hendry and Bitton who aren’t good enough so only Ajer who has the quality.

10. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Rodgers entire philosophy when he came through the door was quality over quantity, now were loaded to the absolute max of deadwood players- Almost seems to me like a big * you to the board in not letting him invest a large portion of the champions league money back into the squad . Apart from Edouard and Ntcham I can't remember any real money spent on a single player in the Rodgers era- all just 1m duds who are either considered 'future projects' or 'good as backup' players. Both parties are clearly not on the same wave length and Rodgers comments of 'hopefully we can bring a couple more players in, but if not that's fine' supports this.

Rodgers knows he's achieved all he can with the current transfer budget being handed to him and I think he's admitted defeat from his recent comments in regards to the club not taking the next step financially to support his ambitions of success in Europe. I hope I'm wrong and he does give it one last crack to try to get us back to the champions league with what he has but realistically can't see it, and now this transfer window where 6 month loan signings are the targets and Congerton pretends he's found some rare gem that will be ready to play first team football in 10 years time.

11. Belgian_lad

I am not really negative about this window. I think two of the loans Weah and Toljan are candidates for another year. Even Benkovic with his injury problem, might even get another year with us. But i feel we have adequat cover for the remainder of the season. The league should be ours, cup is a big chance too.

So for shortterm work they get an 7/10! Think every player brought in bar Bayo(who i cant judge as i dont know him) are better then what all the SPL teams have on offer. Finally a RB with proven quality. A higher score would have been given with a little more longterm planning and a CB.

Longterm? Its a 5/10, we signed a few young propects who will join us next season. Thats the way we have to work. But the lack of CB is bad! As well those loans dont fill me overly with confidencd on a longterm strategy. Even with the plans for BR.

Still the energy the team is showing and the way they are prepared, the fight from BR for Brown, shows me he sees him as an integral part for the 10. Which means he is he for the 10 too.

But for now, i dont want to think about next season. I want to enjoy our run to the 8 and another cup win. The energy the team has shown since winterstop has been amazing!

12. oh bhoy

[​IMG]

Seriously though I'd have efe back over that donkey hendry ,get him signed

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'm still trying to get over my PTSD from his first stint.

Slaw, A.M and oh bhoy like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Glad we bolstered the attack and got a rb in which we desperately needed, the fact we didn't buy at least one cb seeing as we've just lost our two first choice defenders to injury and they'll most likely be gone in the summer is a joke.

16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Keeps mentioning the club, the future of the club, it’s for the club, protect the club, going forward the club.

Like a * usher song in the club!

But seriously he is a very educated and articulate man his language tells me he is off in summer he is choosing his words and phrases carefully!

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bet you he’s staying.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Said it before in other thread's I don't even think it's a toss up. He's off in my opinion and all parties have probably known this for month's..

Seán Mac D and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He will be off crow 100%

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ok if you say so.