1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Nov 22, 2017.

Discuss January Transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

you could be right there with the sigings of burke and weah they dont want to spend money on permanent signings

2. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It’s no happening is it:giggle1:

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This is why I said I didn't want to think about it because it might affect the players, the pressure if we won 9, that would be mental although I'm sure the stadium would be packed every game for that and what a 12th man it would be so that would be good for confidence. I mean you'd be dying to score in front of a full house, imagine the feeling for one of the lads who are Celtic mad.

I prefer to think about this season though because there's many folk in the media and elsewhere waiting for any sign of weakness and they think they've found it down our flanks but if McGregor can score from LB then let them overload cause we'll no play like that again.

If/when Brendan leaves I'm sure Steve Clarke will get the job as he has the experience of SPFL and also a good manager.

I'm sorry, it just looked like you were saying the same thing as the guy who said 'don't tell ma maw but Roberts is coming in the summer'. How could that post be two years old, it was at the end of the thread :43:

I was laughing cause you said almost the same thing but then I seen your join date and how many posts you'd made, it just seemed some coincidence, sorry :52:

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think there's some truth in that. I mean McGinn is a counterexample but on the whole, it doesn't feel like the board don't want to spend money. It felt like that under Lenny and Ronny for sure, but this feels different. I mean we made by all accounts a serious bid for Paddy; now I don't know what that was, but it must have been in the same ballpark as Eddy. Speaking of Eddy, we smashed our transfer record on him. We bought Ntcham for good money too. I've said it before, but what all these players have in common is that the board didn't have to trust Rodgers and Congerton's judgement (Paddy and Eddy had proved themselves here and Ntcham came from Man City where Lawwell has his own contacts). In terms of backing Brendan on targets where the board have to trust his judgment, I don't think he has been backed.

The board have a responsibility to ensure we only invest that kind of money when the investment is a good one, I'm not pointing the finger here; but we're probably going to lose a * good manager in the summer because of all this and that is also a big loss to the club.

In future I imagine we'll go back to the scouting system being independent from the manager, that seemed to work very well. I just wish Brendan would stay. I won't be unhappy with Lenny or Clarke, but I want Brendan to stay, warts and all.

Lilac Wine and StPauli1916 like this.
  5. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

if and when he goes we will be ok

really hope we get some defenders in RB and CB or even get someone to sign a pre contract with us, though that never seems to happen

6. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Honestly can’t quite believe we haven’t signed a Cb or a Rb yet. Unbelievable, i need to start learning not to get my hopes up with this board. :56:

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I read on wiki that he's on a one year rolling contract, is that true? I mean paying someone nearly £3m a year seems a lot considering they can basically make a pre with any club in January just like players.

As has been said he's spent a bit on dodgy players but they seem to have been more defensive and this looks more naive considering we're trying to play from the back. Gordon gets too much stick for it because look at how much money the teams playing that system spend on keepers and defenders. Man City had to spend nearly £40m I think.

We have to be more pragmatic in Europe, it's not like there's an alternative.

We should be spending more on defenders and as already said he must've convinced Burke to play RB for a few months so he could see the whole pitch and also how valuable his speed will be in both defense and counter attack.

I'm still thinking Brendan will stay as long as we're champions. If we win this season then we will see if he's staying because he's definitely not leaving if he wins the 9th in a row and letting Craig Levein get all the credit :fear:

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Just over a week left, really hope we see at least another couple of players in the door.

Random Review and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Hope? Aye.

Expect? Naw. Seen this movie one too many times before :54:

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Yeah we have but this time failure to do anything could impact on our chances of securing the Title, it would be criminal to do no further business.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Lilac Wine and Seán Mac D like this.
  11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We definitely won’t see a new CB after BR’s comments.

As for full backs, with Ralston showing perhaps enough to get a job done at RB when needed and Miller back from his loan, I think we may be finished with our business.

Prefer to get a RB in now though to “bed in” in time for qualifiers next season

12. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    We should bring in a RB and a Midfielder , CB can wait and we have numbers there, not point in splitting up Benkovic and Boyata halfway through a season to try bed in another CB in the run in , we also have AJer and Simunovic.

13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye me too cause I would hate to see Brendan's reputation tarnished in any way but everyone knows the defence is a priority. Maybe tarnished is a strong word for someone who did something as remarkable as an unbeaten treble season. Seriously though I wonder if his attacking nature is making him a better judge of attack minded players than defenders. If he does play Burke in defence we'll know for sure.

Has Brendan signed any good defenders yet? I'm not too clued up on the whole squad. Haven't seen Marvin and poor Hendry looks good with his feet but a lot more to learn for a defensive role. I don't know how he got thrown into such a critical position considering his former teams were Thistle, Wigan and Dundee. I'm no scout but when I see those teams I would find it hard to judge the quality of player we need for 3 domestic trophies and especially in Europe. I would play Callum in goal and rest KT and Lustig against those teams.

Brendan was a defender himself before his career ending injury too. Mind you he was only 20 then but strange that was his best position. Maybe he's just looking for defenders who can pass, cause I noticed that was the one thing about Hendry, he is tidy going forward, like the bold Ajer and Benkovic. I know he didn't sign them but they're the kind of players he likes. However, defenders who can pass cost a fortune unless you are lucky like us with KT.

Anyway I'm convinced we'll see at least one decent full back signed because after resorting to Callum at LB Brendan must be thinking we really don't want to be in that situation again.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats contrary to what Iv been led to believe.
    Of the four transfer targets Rodgers wanted in the summer, we secured one (Edouard).
    The others being Schär, Piccini and Mcginn.

I think that Lawell does not go above and beyond the set wage structure that we have, and that we will need to get some of the higher earners off the bill before we see any more quality come in.

15. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I’ve a feeling that Benkovic might stay for a 2nd season and that’s why we’re no getting one in. That leaves a back 4 of Ralston, Ajer, Benko, Tierney for the qualifiers. Wouldn’t be th end of the world IMO.

Peej likes this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    It's been on the back of my mind as well, this way we get to claim a new signing in summer with his return.

I've also got that sneaky feeling that weah is 6 months with the option of another 12, would make sense for all concerned. Surely psg aren't expecting him to become a first team player at psg after 5 months football here?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

callumrae1967 likes this.
  17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

them 2 will be off at the end of the season and we will be left with sicknote shitebag and ajer to get us through champions league qualifiers with * hendry as backup but in all reality we'd be playing him in a last round qualifier to get into the champions league again

the board will be waiting on all the richer big league clubs doing their business and we will have a day or 2 to pick from whats left in transfer market that watn to come to scotland

pishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

18. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Puel wont last much longer at that might affect things.
    Guy is going to be a class act and id imagine that after this season he will have suitors from better leagues who will be after him, even if just on loan.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  19. shaun.f

board are taking the *. same every window.

20. shaunm

Scouting team are pish,so much deadwood in our club it’s unbelievable,need a proper clear out,and sign 3 or 4 genuinely good players,and back starting 11 up with youth/project players