1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Transfer Window 2020

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Dec 24, 2019.

Discuss January Transfer Window 2020 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I think most fans can guess a centre half is an area we hope to strengthen in this window.

Lenny also said he wants experience.

I can see us getting someone from the EPL on loan

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Sure Brendan will see us sound.

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Gonnae buy a defender ffs.

Celtic take on more projects than the Scottish Schools system.

4. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Is he still not injured?

I said we should have went for him when we still had KT.

He's OK defensively too, but his passing and crossing are brilliant and we're he really excels.

5. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    It'll be deadline day loans and that's us a reckon.

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye looks like that tbh

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Soro and couple of quality loans would be fine.

Dan Breen and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  8. oh bhoy

Loans aint the answer,champions league qualifiers will be here before you know it and we will be dicking about trying to plug the holes forster and elyounoussi leave thats before any more loans that come in

9. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Need to be doing business quicker and better than this.

A good window would swing the title race back in our favour. One young, unknown quantity is, so far, not a good window.

Short term loans are a bit dodgy IMO,would need to be of the standard of Vega, Bellamy and robbie Keane to make the kind of impact we need.

We're going into first league game after the break,a potentially massive banana skin, with no, really, significant additions. 10 days left though, finger oot.

10. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    My main concern with loans is them perhaps no getting or buying into how much is at stake given its only short term for them. But as been said, if they were right good quality them maybe it would be enough.

rudebhoy67 likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Now is the time above all else that we transfer some of the £40 million+ we have sitting in the bank, into quality players capable of making sure that we are successful in the next 6 months.

If we don't and fail to win the league this season, while sitting on a literal mountain of cash for a club at our level then there will be no hiding place whatsoever for any of the board members responsible.

Klimala and Soro look like decent players but they aren't what Lennon asked for. He asked for a deviation from our transfer model, experience and quality that is ready to make an immediate impact.

4 out of our next 5 league games are away from home. We have very little margin for error. A little ambition from the board would be nice to see.

Mince.Charming and rudebhoy67 like this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I don't really care if it's loan deals tbh, whatever it takes to get the job done and win the League.

Dannybhoy81 and Dan Breen like this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Ronseal.

The Prof likes this.
  14. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Four of our next five away at Killie, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Hamilton. Feel we should have had our 'experienced' players in by now. We are running a * gauntlet here. We all know we are well capable of dropping points at Rugby Park. Possibly Fir Park if we aren't at it. We do that and the MIB will go into full on stoptheten mode.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Hardest is tomorrow. Win that and we'll win the next 3 away..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. john2061

You will get * all ambition from this board all they care about is profit .
    We have 40 million plus in the bank and I expected a couple of players who would better the team and all we seem to be bringing in his development players and if we lose the league the board have nowhere to hide .

17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Totally agree with you mate,but unfortunately the 40m in the bank will largely remain untouched. It will be used to safeguard lost champions league revenue. I have severe doubts that Lennon will have asked Lawell to deviate from our transfer model. He may have said so much in public, but my interpretation of that would be he is doing that under Lawell's instructions. Making it seem the manager has a voice/isn't a puppet etc.
    In the presser almost immediately after announcing Lennon one of the main things Lawell said that worried me was 'Neil understands the transfer policy the club has'
    That was alarm bells for me.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

What an underwhelming window so far. Only one confirmed and, although he seems to have plenty of potential, it's another bit of a punt.

Even with Soro looking almost complete, we still need another 2 or 3.

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Surely that would be counter-productive, if the manager publicly requested a deviation from the transfer policy and the board didn't accede to those demands? It would only strengthen the view that Lawwell wields far too much clout in that department. With Hammond now as Director of Football he should have a set budget and be able to utilise that how he sees fit.

The policy of signing young, hungry players that develop with us and bank us significant fees is a good one but that doesn't mean that every permanent transfer has to be signed in this way.

Thanks to the lack of strength in the league round about us, this league is going to go down to the wire. That means that it's likely it will be defined on small margins.

We've already seen the impact of 'honest mistakes' with Clancy costing us 2 points at Easter Road with his refusal to give to stonewall penalties; that's somewhat outwith our control (although I do think we should be calling it out much more strongly)

What is within our control is transferring some of our huge cash reserves into quality football players who are ready to go into the first-team and make an immediate impact.

It's concerning that our signings so far are young guys who will require a bedding in period, to get used to the demands of a club our size, whilst overcoming language barriers and getting used to new team-mates and style of play. That spells trouble for me.

Throw in our horrendous injury record, our tougher run of fixtures and an SFA that is desperate to see our run of dominance ended and it's cause for concern. We could be doing a lot more to make this easier for ourselves but we aren't...

Mince.Charming likes this.
  20. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Absolute scenes on deadline day when we unveil Shankland and Donnelly