james mccarthy

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by ronan cfc, Feb 8, 2010.

Discuss james mccarthy in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ronan cfc

james mccarthy is doing well for wigan. obviously wigan's games don't get shown often on sky/ESPN but from watching highlights and listening to the soccer saturday on sky it seems he is doing really well. i could be wrong but on his debut he scored a goal and won a penalty and in recent weeks has had 2 or 3 assists and was unlucky not not score more goals. has anyone else been keeping track of him and if so are you impressed so far?

2. celtic_bhoy81 Banned!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjälby
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've not seen much of him since he left. But I hear he's chose to play for Scotland after all? Might have to go out my way to watch him now.

3. Brendan Hughes Banned!

Isnt the scotland thing just paper talk ? Trappatoni has included him in the squad v Brazil soon which will see him given his cap and tied to the Republic

4. ardoyne celt

playing for ireland against brazil i hope he has not changed his mind and playing for scotland

5. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

He is flying at the minute. You need to remember this guy is 19 years old, has just moved from Hamilton and is now a stand out in the best league in the world in possibly the hardest position to play in that league. He is up against guys of the calibre of Gerrard, Lampard and Fabregas week in and week out.

6. gerry_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broon and Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hes not playing for us, Levein says the door is as good as closed on it as James wasn't reponsive at all when he approached him.

Will turn into a world class player and the country that reared him will get absolutely no benefit. Im gutted, as we had the making of a good international side with the addition of a quality central midfielder.

Back to reality and a pish poor team for another few generations.

7. daryl-allison

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Naka, Larrson fav all time
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone!
    a dont support no 1 who choses a different country to scotland. think that law should be scrapped specially if hes lived here all his days

8. butch Banned!

think he has any sence, he will look at the groups, they are in and way up how far they 2 will get.

9. WaterfordCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    could you blame the guy? scotland didnt show him any interest a few years back, ireland did. he has strong irish links on both his mother and fathers sides. the abuse he got in scotland when declaring for ireland was unreal. i think he'll be a gem of a player and scotland should really learn from their mistake or they'll continue to lose great prospects. i reckon Trap will play him v Brazil.

10. The Celtbot

Can't wait to see him play against Brazil on March 2nd. Should be a great game :)

11. Wilkie1888

Good luck to him thats all i have to say <3

12. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
  13. obonfanti1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Henrik Larsson is the King of Kings
    was that the game that was meant to be getting played at Parkhead? i remember a thread on it a couple months ago but did they confirm whether it would or wouldnt?

as for mccarthy, he's getting a game for Wigan and is probably destined for bigger things and quite frankly its the SFA's own * fault for letting such talent slip through the net; cue racism and abuse from all the morons from all grounds across scotland not to mention a couple journos; i.e Leckie, Traynor et al :47: moving to england probably the best thing for him to get away from the hassle he'd have to put up with

14. gerry_bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broon and Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Apparently a while ago on the radio his agent was saying that James used to go to watch Scotland international matches as was gutted he was constantly overlooked.

While I can see him feeling helpless over getting a Scotland place and therefore choosing Ireland. I feel knowing the player he will inevitable, he could have waited. Then again, having gone to repeated trial etc he could have been exhausted with the whole Old Firm dominated youth set up.

But I can't go this, "he has proud Irish roots stuff", as if (like McGeady) Ireland can take any credit in this player, his development or in someway claim he is just as Irish as he is Scottish.

Both McCarthy's decisions where because Ireland was the offer that on the table (perhaps McCarthey's grandad played some part or it could have been a something he said knowing the backlash he would have to put up with) and they were desperate to get into an international set up.

Given your country is ignoring you, its not hard to persuade an impressionable and eager young lad to look elsewhere at that age.

All in all, the SFA shouldn't have let this happen and will hopefully broaden their horizons in terms of youth selection - the lad was playing first team football at 15 ffs.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  15. The Celtbot

I believe they are playing it at emirates stadium instead. :38:

16. noise

17. WaterfordCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Keano
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    to be fair, ireland can lay claim into the players development as he has been with our international squads from a young age and that has definately helped and improved him as a player.

18. og1 Banned!

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    I always thought we should have signed him

19. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Good old SFA, messing up again. Good luck to the guy, shame he isn't playing for Scotland.

20. Binnie_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough.
    Shame we did not sign him , could have became a real legend here i think! .. Would rather see him than Brown in our midfield! .. Can't blame him for choosing Ireland , they are better than Scotland.