1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Clown, Aug 23, 2016.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wulliebad

if we have made 30-40 million this summer and more loan deals come in,thats rather crappy from the board.....better be a to buy option.

2. gerry_bhoy

To be fair, mate. I see that and my original post would obviously spark debate.

But the thread was already littered with posts fishing for a bite.

I've always been fine with his decision, although disappointment at first, not like I have any grounds to take offence to an individual's decisions that have no impact on my life.

It's more the romanticising of the motives that annoyed me. From someone with immediate Irish lineage brought up in Scotland who sees both sides, if find it more difficult to disassociate myself from my home country as others which means in times like this I wanted to get my point across when challenged

But I'll agree my post perpetuated the debate rather than squashing it.

Hopefully we can move on now. We're all Celtic fans and nationality debate shouldn't come in to it, we're free to identify with who we choose, and the end of the day I appreciate we don't know McCarthy's motives, that goes for seeing international football as a platform for exposure and experience of big games or considering himself Irish. Everyone of us is speculating.

3. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fancy taking the James McCarthy nationality chat into a new irrelevant thread instead of the constant updates in here? If he signs for us I couldn't really care less if he wants to be Irish James McCarthy or Scottish James McCarthy, as long as he's Celtic's James McCarthy :50:

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Darn the hair do we care

5. Keano88

McCarthy on loan and Roberts perm deal.

Would be insane.

6. TicFan88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    It would be yeah.

I'd feel a bit cheated though that one of our big signings after the making the group stages is a player we already have on loan. I know he's a cracking player and all, and it's just being greedy, but I'd love it if we signed a quality player right out of the blue!

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You're right, you are being greedy :smiley-laughing002:

Would be great to sign Paddy permanently. If he's at all interested we should be pushing the boat out.

I would actually prefer to sign Mccarthy on loan just now tbh. I'm not entirely convinced he would be worth the large transfer fee he would no doubt cost. If we can get him on loan we can assess him properly and then se if he's worth the dough.

8. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Getting Roberts longer-term would be incredible. We could be looking at a scenario where both are permanent Celtic players by next Summer.

9. marco1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean south
    I would be happy if we got Roberts on a permanent deal. That would make a brilliant transfer window.

10. DJ_CFC

This. I think the loan option for mccarthy is about delaying the payment until next season and only paying half his wages until then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    if as its being suggested, we do have a chance of getting roberts in permanently, then it goes a long way to illustrating that using the loan market isnt such a bad approach.

here would be a top player who came to us on loan, really fell in love with the club, the fans and all they could offer and then decided that this was the place he wanted to play his football

its always going to be hard to attract players of high quality to the scottish league, but bringing them in on loan lets them see first hand what this club is about. im happy for players to come in on loan if it means he have a chance of selling them on a permanent move further down the line

although, with mc carthy i would imagine he knows the club well enough. id agree the above post that its probably more about delaying payment and building up the required money to pay for it on a permanent basis

12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Youre not speaking on his behalf? :56:

He has said he wanted to play for Ireland from a young age, and he has done so since he was 17. If you ask him what his nationality is do you honestly believe he is going to say Scottish and not Irish?

Also, the McAteer and Commons comparisons are stupid and you know it.

13. D'Ecosse

You forgot to mention falling in love with KT, too :smiley-laughing002: :icon_mrgreen:

14. gerry_bhoy

Perhaps, but so is the Maloney one that gets pulled out.

15. Commander Gree

This is getting ridiculous, next we'll be hearing that Celtic are an irish club.

I'd be will to bet that McCarthy has a UK passport so that would settle the discussion.

16. wulliebad

can we move to * on from the what country owns him ffs.....bumps in this thread needs to be about news or rumours.....we have cash to blow.:50:

17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    :56:

Naw it wouldn't. :bbpd:

18. gerry_bhoy

Think he was having a bit of banter there to be fair :smiley-laughing002:

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    ooops :52:

20. gerry_bhoy

There's not a chance were getting loan to buy option though. Hardly an indesirable player for those with more to burn than us. What was his last fee, 13m? Is that really going to decrease on his current long term contract?

The loan link to us may only alert clubs to make actual bids, at that point we're out it would seem.