1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

James McCarthy

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Clown, Aug 23, 2016.

Discuss James McCarthy in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Malaysian

2. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Someone on KDS said that his Father isn't in good health and would like to return home. No idea if it has any credibility.

3. gerry_bhoy

Did he say he considered himself an Irishman? You're speaking on his behalf not me. What in saying is fact, he is Scottish born and bred as are his parents. He has a Irish Granda. He's as Scottish as shortbread.

You are speculating he must have "felt Irish" in order to make himself available for selection as if that's a prerequisite. The idea that you need to have harboured the dream of pulling in on the jersey all your life or considered yourself an Irishman to play for the Irish national side is laughable, especially when you look at past sides. Did McAteer or the likes hold that dream? Consider themselves an Irishmen before their first cap?

Did Kris Commons consider himself Scottish? I would suspect not.

It's international football, not life. It's legitimacy has been diluted and cheapened over the years. You often pick what's available to you as many have with both Ireland and Scotland in the past.

You're like many others are romanticising his decision as some kind of home coming as you feel it gives Ireland credibility for producing him for something.

Not to say he doesn't have an affinity, the majority of us have Irish Grandparents, connect with that, continue to celebrate our Irish roots, had the '94 WC kit (like every catholic in Glasgow) but also didn't grow up believing we were actually fully Irish and not Scottish.

He made a decision, a footballing one and I 100% agree with it. Scotland were aware he was playing in FAI youth sides from 16 after declining to scout him despite Billy Reid's repeated pleas. Only when it's clear as day he's going to the top do Scotland come in with a sense of entitlement to try and bring him in. By this point he's settled 2-3 years in a system that's shown faith in him, respected and valued him from the offset. I know what decision id make at that point.

4. Commander Gree

The bhoy is Scottish. The FAI should faith in him when Scotland didn't and he returned that faith when Scotland came calling by sticking with Ireland. You need to tip your hat to him for that.

Can we just get over it and move on.

5. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    the guy is whatever he feels he identifies as and no-one on here can claim to know what that is.

my children arent welsh just because they were born and will be raised in wales. they have one irish parent and one welsh parent and have the choice to freely identify as either or both.

6. Commander Gree

I appreciate what your saying LD, but the bhoy has 2 Scottish parents and was born in Scotland. He plays for Ireland and it wouldn't sound right if he said he felt Scottish while wearing an Irish shirt no would it.

I like star wars, doesn't make me a Jedi though! A bit extreme I know. :56:

7. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I feel Malaysian.

8. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    so what are commons or jordan rhodes then?

by your logic theyre not scottish

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
  9. liam_bhoy

I hate when people start deciding what nationality someone is when they've never met and don't know them personally.

I've got Irish grandparents, Scottish parents and I was born in England. So what national team should I hypothetically be playing for?

Nationality means * all, borders mean * all. James McCarthy can decide where he wants to play his international football without folk giving him grief and dissecting his entire family history.

10. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    exactly :50:

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Just remind me again. You're the * that doesn't want to get into the whole what Nationality he is debate aye ? :56:

12. gerry_bhoy

Absolutely. No one is questioning his decision to play for the Ireland football team. It's the idea that in order to do this he must consider himself Irish or believe his true home is Ireland which is ridiculous. It's just international football.

I don't want to labour this and it's the last I'll post on topic but it's frustrating when people reduce the argument to "he can play with who he wants". He can but let's not romanticise it too much. He choose a National set up who approached and valued him and rightly dismissed an incompetent, complacent one with tunnel vision over player selection in the process.

All the best too the lad and hopefully we can bring him here without breaking the bank.

13. gerry_bhoy

I was. Simply replying to a quote. That's me done.

14. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    you have to also equally dismiss the argument that he can only be scottish because his parents are scottish and was born in scotland?

there is more to nationality than such technicalities.

the fact is, nobody on here can categorically state what nationality mc carthy identifies as

15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    True.

16. gerry_bhoy

Last line, fair play.

17. gerry_bhoy

Anyway, rumour gathering momentum. Likely a loan as he's recently signed a new bumper deal?

18. wulliebad

:52:

19. Celtic_1967_

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hooper
    Can we get back to talking about how crap this guy is?

20. wulliebad

for someone whos first post was complaining about is he isnt he tone of the thread your doing a grand job of ending it.:38: