1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there more Celtic or Rangers fans in Glasgow?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by celtic croatia, Jun 25, 2011.

Discuss Is there more Celtic or Rangers fans in Glasgow? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Daviebhoy77 and The IRA like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It was mentioned a bit before about the English older boy's. 50's/60's etc and it struck a chord as in the pubs and what not, genuinely the one's that like football, admire us to an extent or actively like us I've found..

The younger, dafter, social media types have definitely distanced themselves from even taking a passing interest in us. West Ham and Chelsea etc who when you mention Celtic they are already with their nose out of joint..

People forget just how multi cultural England is. It isn't as black and white. Every second or third person I know has an Irish Surname for fucksake :56: although some of them have forgotten their roots and can be even worse about us..

We aren't gonna be liked by all down here. I don't mind that and can understand it. Don't be fooled by the noisy crowd's who can't stand us in friendlies or online..

We definitely have a very very healthy contingent down here in England. I'd say we have a lot of respect, even begrudgingly as a club and support from even one's who say they don't like what we stand for..

Basically, * the rest..

JimMc, JML67, The IRA and 5 others like this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    richardm likes this.
  4. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I've lived in England twice in my life and what you are saying is more or less it, in fact most people when they know I'm Celtic and talk football mainly compliment our support and admit we are a different level.

You do get the odd idiot like anywhere but labelling many English fans as "edl types" is wide of the mark as the vast majority know nothing about the rivalry let alone take sides, as someone suggested earlier there is certainly no widespread perception we are a left wing club no matter how much some would like to believe that being the case, since I last lived down their the indifference they have to us and Sevco has only got bigger

Eazey and JimMc like this.
  5. angusceltic67

Getting back to the original Question "Is there more Celtic or Rangers fans in Glasgow?"

Its fair to say that most Catholics would support Celtic and a only a small minority of our support would come from a protestant background, and given that Glasgow is only 25% catholic you would have to conclude that there would be more of them than there is of us in the city.

On a Global scale though you would have to say that we would well outnumber them ones mainly because of the fact that there is a much larger Irish diaspora out there than there would people with a Protestant West Central Scotland background.

Just my take.

6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    small minority / protestant , I would guess is way off the mark in my experience . no , that's just wrong !!

Marie, richardm and Sonic Reducer like this.
  7. angusceltic67

Don't think many would argue with that ?

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  8. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Saw it on the Twitter about a year back.

Try this place,you might just be in luck.
    http://www.celtic-badges.com

packybhoy likes this.
  9. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Have an English Manc mate in work who I have converted to Celtic loves us More now than his home team Man Utd, he thinks he would get his head kicked in, if he went to a Celtic pub being English, you might have an English accent I tell him, but your second name is Collins you daft basterd.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    McChiellini.. and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Down here every Celtic fan I know bar 3 or 4 are prods and there's a lot.

As for English tools who think it's a Catholic/Protestant thing ...I always love the look on their puss when I point out the facts.

There is only one religious abiding team in GB and that's them.

JimMc likes this.
  11. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    No it's not ....... But it's an explanation.

12. JimMc

The only complication is they are not actually religious of any credible kind. While they are certainly credible extreme british nationalists, even then they are of a form that most people in Britain would need an explanation for and detest and shun if on their doorstep for any time.

Going to a place of worship once in every few years because of a family function is not any credible religion. These pitiful slobs pervert mostly harmless genuine religious people (who are supposed to love thy neighbour etc..) in much the same way Zionists and Jihadists pervert, they have so much in common, ignorant hate and fear.
    What does a prod really mean anyway? Thousands of different versions of supposed Christianity. Prod is just another one of those historical badge terms promoted by those in power via the Crown to divide the masses from paying attention to the reality.

Back to the fan base, Don't know about Glasgow but Globally Celtic are many times bigger, one of their directors admitted this a few years back.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Fully87 likes this.
  13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

It's not only way off the mark Scotia but he is just talking pish, as usual. I know far more Non Catholics who support us than Catholics who do in general, not as though their religion makes any difference at all.

14. Eazey

Honestly, im miffed that anyone would question us having a considerable larger fan base in Glasgow. ayrshire and * holes near there are the only real contingent of rangers fans, in my honest opinion. Ive stayed all over Glasgow South and West and its 3/1 majority of Celtic men.

15. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * up. * you. And * off.

freitassen likes this.
  16. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Check you getting aw defensive about the Huns :56:

17. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We've been too long without a game it's safe to say :celt_2:

Aye it must be silly season alright...when the thread went down the road of number crunching oldcos historic attendances it was time to check other threads out

kramer1 likes this.
  18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Having not lived in Scotland for 20 years I’d say the vast majority of negative reactions to Celtic is in Scotland.
    Most people down here who I have spoken to don’t really have an opinion (and no one has ever, ever said anything about being a catholic team) or are quite complimentary about our players, stadium, atmosphere and fans.

Think some people are making up stuff in their own heads of what they think other people think.
    Putting the * in assumption you could say.

Edit: I have spoken football with Polish, Hungarians, Romanians, South Africans, Australians, Irish, Welsh, English, Ghanaian, Nigerian, Kenyan, Canadian, Indian and loads of * in between.
    None have seen us in the negative way some fannies here are trying to say is a thing. its not.

19. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Totally agree with you...I should have added they they aren't (like myself )religious in any way.

'Prod' was just my lazy way of stating they were christened in the Church of Scotland/England .

20. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    ive been about supporters buses since the 70,s , attending supporters functions and the like till just a few weeks ago and it is definitely not about religion . * im a prod by birth and my fekkin loathing for that lot is as strong as anybody's . last do there was a republican flute band on doing 2 , 20 minute sessions and to a man and woman present was treeemendous !!! .

by the way I still get it tight fae the fekkers when I see them for being a taig lover, turncoat bastart , waste of a good protestant education but they know that I know that they know that I know ….. we won !!!!