1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to loan our way to success?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stubhoy07, Jan 30, 2019.

Discuss Is it possible to loan our way to success? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I know there are limits to how many loans we are allowed at a time but I do have a pointbti make. Whilst I think we are all annoyed we seem to be chasing loan after loan let's look at the quality it brings.

We have on loan currently

Benkovic
    Burke
    Weah
    Trojal (incoming?)

In the past we have had the likes of
    Keane
    Bellamy
    Vega
    Roberts

All of these (and there is probably a whole lot more) are players who unfortunately beyond our transfer/wage budget in the past and present, or so it seems. But all of which can contribute to improvement short term.

I guess overall my point being, whilst we all want permanent and decent transfer these loans might actually be the way we improve our overall standing. For example if we loaned players who managed to grab us second place in a CL group stage a few times and secured automatic CL group status our budget would surely take a stronger turn.

Am not sure we should be so negative about our loan signings, this maybe the best way forward for us to compete with some of Europe's stronger teams

2. Jeremie Frimpong

If we can bring in players of Benković's quality, who are, for the most part, out of our price range, I am all for it, but we have to have a core of high-quality permanent signings.

3. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Fine to have 1 or 2 loan players, but to have a team made up of 5/6 loan players will never work imo.

4. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    The best clubs in the world loan players to improve their squad.

James Rodriguez Madrid to Bayern.
    Zlatan Barcelona to Milan
    Bendtner from Arsenal to Juventus
    Even this week Arsenal got midfielder Suarez from Barca

Loans should be seen as an invaluable way to improve your squad. But we need to do it strategically and understand that it is not a long term solution.

The two year loan deals which we have been engaging in are a decent idea. They fill gaps and give us breathing room to develop a plan for that position. But we need to be developing our own youth players or use it to buy time until we find a hidden gem that we can sign on a permanent.

What's our plan for when Benkovic goes? What was our plan for when Paddy Roberts left? We're not using loans in the best way in which we could IMO.

JML67 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  5. themouth1888

We slated the huns for it. Mind you we are bringing a far better class of player in.

We are always playing rebuild with the constant loans

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’m all for it. Look at the quality you can get in. Has to be quality though like Benkovic, Roberts, etc.

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I have no problems with loans and some of the ones you mentioned were great to watch for us. To answer your original question though we would probably all have to agree on what we mean by success and if we are measuring that short,long or medium term ?

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This

9. Gourlay1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tam Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I agree with a couple of the posts above. I think that the loan market for us is a great avenue to go down for players who may not be within our reach financially. Benkovic has proved that we can use the loans to get great players in. The only problem I have is that what happens when the deals run out? I think that we should be developing from within. When Benkovic returns down south and the snake that shall not be named leave in May, were left with plan C at best. We have not prepared very well in the areas that we have these ‘ loans ‘. Sure we may venture out and get another loan for centre half, but then what if he gets injured? Vast investment needs to be made, on permanent players, with the odd loan addition.

10. oh bhoy

The Australian guy is here too.
    the whole transfer strategy is retarded buying players so we can sell them and never spend it on players or increasing the wage structure. i wouldn't be in favour of loans unless it's with the view of trying them out to sign them eventually but when the guys that are signed permanently and turn out good only stay about 2years anyway there's little difference

11. Mince.Charming

It's good to have a couple but for me 5 is too much. I remember Darren Odea saying he felt that was one of the many reasons Mowbary's team failed. Too many players on loan that when things weren't going right, didn't give a * because they would be off in a few month.
    It felt like that under Deila too with Guidetti, Wakaso,Tonev and Berget.
    the new loans seem to be good quality and decent characters but for your team to have stability 5 loans is too much.

12. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Loans at all clubs should be limited to 3 max.. maybe with the exception of Goalkeeper in exceptional circumstances ( happened to a Scots club not long ago )

Loans with option to buy make sense but not always possible and i'm sure most of us would not be happy if it were our young prospects going out on loan with buy options included.

The real problem lies with clubs building massive squads.. Perhaps if clubs were only allowed to have 33 players in a squad we would see a better level of player performing every week.. 33 players means a first choice, a back up and a youngster for every position. Massive squads tend to favour the richer clubs and concentrate their power

Loans should be allowed to play against parent club

13. Kieran1967

Probably, it just means needing to rebuild every year

14. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Best clubs loan a couple of players, a large playing part of our team will be made up from loans

15. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Put it this way, if any other business loaned equipment that is essential to it's products quality, whilst making many times more than the cost of the equipment of a couple of years. What do you think they should do? Buy the equipment that will give them that quality? Or wait until the equipment is gone, try and find quick cheap substitutes quickly to fulfil customer orders. Knowing that this equipment needed a solution years ago

16. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Fair point but if that same company could loan equipment that would generate enough revenue so they could eventually buy the equipment anyway then loaning the equipment in the first place was a good move

Essentially the same as any company loaning capital to generate more..

17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Most of the guys we loan do a very good job so it's great to have them Edouard, Guidetti, Roberts, Denayer, Benkovic even Burke and Weah already look good, Scott Bain.

Imagine we never had any of them on loan, chances are whoever we signed wouldnt be near as good especially Edouard, Denayer, Roberts and Benkovic.

Also gives us a better chance of signing guys or keeping them longer if they like it here. If they don't like it here then it's better to have loaned them anyway.

JML67 likes this.
  18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Expanding on this point - long term it's impossible for it to bring success. You need a strong core that stays with the club for a number of years who are 100% committed.

2/3 loans every season is fine, if it's a player of higher quality than we can afford, or as cover for a position we are weak in but to rely on these players so heavily every season is a dangerous game to play.

As good as Roberts was, it then left a huge void in our squad as we couldn't replace him like-for-like. Same will happen with Benkovic, as it did with Denayer. The 18 month loans make sense in january as you can bed those guys in for the qualifiers but 6 month loans seem absolutely pointless to me.

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It can be the only way to get that extra bit of quality in, that are simply out of our reach on a permanent deal..

However, it feels like we are using it to avoid spending real cash and investing properly in the future of the squad..

With a proper scouting and recruitment policy we could achieve a lot more in the market. BR is an amazing Manager but questions remain on his ability to recruit properly which is very very frustrating.

20. saltire78

Guys,
    38 league games
    ~10 domestic cup games
    ~14-20 European gsmes
    Most players have another ~6ish internationals, outwith tournament years, when its more
    Most of which is within a 9 month period

Thats our average year... On absolutely pish money from our league. With uefa pimping itself out to the bigger leagues and actively railing against the likes of us, both for initial qualifications and progressing.

Sorry, but the use of loans and cheap wage players is essential for us to maintain any semblance of a squad size needed to get through all the fixtures we face during the winter period. And top quality players look at the obstacles, versus the cushy number just over the border and think '* that!'.

It's truly amazing, and and incredible credit to our club and support that we continue to survive in our current climate, let alone thrive in the way that we do.

Now, im not in favor of the way we don't fully invest in our future, but I do understand why people who take on the jobs act as cautious as they do. Part of that caution is to bring in great players, at little risk, and loans fit that bill. They probably think that rebuilding constantly is safer than taking on risky overheads. I, and most other fans, disagree.