1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is £25M an insult?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Martybhoy87, Aug 2, 2019.

Discuss Is £25M an insult? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If and it's a big if, reports are to believed... Its only £2m that we want up front and they want to pay depending on whatever.. It is insulting..

If we're to use your car analogy, they're already getting a good deal for an Aston Martin of signing, you don't argue on whether car mats are being thrown in.. :56:

2. Lewis Kerr

Wan Bissaka is a great player btw guys. Definitely worth his fee

If KT had been fit and coming back off a good season he’d be worth up to 40m easy. But as it goes 25 is about right tbh

3. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    No... * off Arsenal ya cuntos

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He seems to be frustrated with lack of transfer activity and his lack of involvement/input, but he is a great coach and has done a remarkable job with spurs.

He would only leave spurs for a top job and at present most seem to be occupied or recently filled.

5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    The way things are going the Real job will be available soon.

6. JamesM09

I don’t think it’s an insult.

We have never been in a more comfortable position with regard to being able to knock back bids for a player.

And even so we have asked for/are willing to accepting £25m. Even we seemingly don’t value him more than that, I don’t see how it can be an insult to us in that case.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think there’s anyway he could be worth his fee given that he’s has one good season under his belt.

His price is reflective of a proven world class player, when what he really is, is a relatively unproven youngster.

8. Lewis Kerr

I know what you mean but I think by the end of the season he’ll prove to be worth it

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Who says we only want £2m up front.. I've read a few claims but that's ridiculous.

Naw it's a fair analogy as we all do haggle.
    ps you do know how much car mats for an Aston Martin are .. believe me you would haggle over that as well :giggle1:

10. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I am glad he is staying for 9 in a row ,so at the end of this season his value will have went up and more teams on Europe see him. I think we will get into the knockout stages

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I didn't post that clearly, apparently we want £25m up front and they have offered £23m plus £2m in add ons, that's the bit I find insulting..

I think it's a good offer BTW, especially with how little he played last season, but they are definitely getting a bargain. So just pay the 25, if of course that is our price.

You can see why Arsenal wanted PL.. :56:

Maybe they still want him and are showing him he's the man for them..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    If the club has said 25 then that is basically the asking price, I think the thing that's * us off more OR myself especially is the fact that we know when they decide to sell him on they'll be looking for at least 40 - 50 so in that respect it's us shafted on the cheap again. They'll be getting twice what we did.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Ah that clears that up, that would have been insulting tbf. As for haggling over the 2 mill difference, imo, that's not insulting that's just negotiating what's best for them, which is fair enough but we are all different I guess JC. Whether we think/know its a bargain or not I would, if I was them, still try and get a better deal as they do hold a couple of cards in this now.
    Aye £25m is a good offer, better if paid in a one off L/S but still good all things considered. I wouldn't be surprised if they did still want Pete, I dare say he would have saved them a few million on the £72 they just spent :giggle1:, but I don't think Pete is solely money driven so I don't think we will need to worry about him leaving which is one less worry for us all at least .. :fear:

JC Anton likes this.
  14. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I laugh in the face of 25 mil .........................:67: :rofl:

15. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he’s worth a bit more but not by much.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Its not an insult.

But as I said in his thread the other day when you see players like McBurnie going for £20m to Sheffield united you have to question if we are getting a good deal from a team that is probably the 3rd biggest in england historically. Never mind Sheffield united.

To me it's a bad deal and I think we have handled it wrong by supposedly being so open to arsenal about our 'price'. We shouldn't have a price for one of our best players. Let them bid and take it from there.

17. oh bhoy

It's an insult considering it's coming from a team in England who have driven the price of top players out of our range ,then want to scoop up our best players on the cheap .yes £25 million is a crazy amount for any player especially a lb but the way the E.p.l operates it's too low

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

£72 upfront ???

£71,999,928 in instalments?
    Cheeky *.

& they’re arguing with us over £2 million.

19. Cupid Stunt

Sorry if this has been asked I spent so much time on my last post (talking * I know) that my toddler son's almost home with the rest of the family but...

Would Tierney be classed as home grown in England i.e. being British (I know * off), in the context of the rules within the EPL and Europe?

That would alter my opinion of the fee drastically.

As I understand it, I don't believe it to be an insult because it's the valuation the club have set.

Do I think it's an accurate valuation? Not at all. I wouldn't have sold Tierney for less than £35 million.

But if he was to fit in through some sort of loophole whether it be in the EPL or Europe as a home grown player of sorts, if McGuire is going for £80 million Tierney should be going for £120 million.

20. freitassen

Nobody will put a gun on lawwells head and force him to take 25 million. There is absolutely nothing (the contractual situation of the player, the financial status of the team, etc) forcing him to accept a 25 million bid. Arsenal is just doing what is good for them, I know, for us Celtic fans a board that wants the best for the club is a strange concept. If he goes for that much the fault is completely on our lovely bunch of tories

aliceinsound likes this.