1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is £25M an insult?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Martybhoy87, Aug 2, 2019.

Discuss Is £25M an insult? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Martybhoy87

I hate the arrogance of English teams and English fans who trash talk the league up here. I understand it’s not as good as down south but I think it’s better than the way it’s seen down south.

That being said, the valuations of our players should be what the player is worth not what league he is in. Tierney in my eyes is worth no less than £40-£50M. This is based on him being one of the best LB in Europe with a lot of potential still to be brought out. I do think he need a better league to make the next step in his career, but when you look at Wan Bassaka going for £50 after one good season and PEPE going for £72M again after one good season why should they pay rock bottom price for tierney if he’s proven season after season how good he is?

Anyone else feel like the board are stupid to accept that price or are we at a stage in the game where we just cannot afford to not take the money?

For me, I think he’s worth more on the pitch for us than £25M in the bank as I can’t see Celtic spending anymore on ‘big transfers’.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I wouldn’t call it an insult. It would be our highest ever received fee by a few million. It feels on the cheap side because we see lesser players down south, going for more. It took a while for players from us to go from the £10m mark, to the £20m mark. It’s not going to suddenly jump from £20m to £40m bids within a season.

Marie likes this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Trying to haggle over our asking price, is an insult.

4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Haggling over the asking price is par for the course, it's called negotiation.

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's embarrassing if part of those negotiations is requests to stagger the payments over 10 years or propping it up with nonsensical clauses that we'll get an extra £500k if they find water on Mars or intelligent life in Ballymena.

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    At least water on Mars is quite likely though.

7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Most transfers are structured over 18+ months. The truth is that we don't know what has been happening in negotiations and are relying on press and internet speculation. As I've said before, even the £25 million figure is simply speculation and has never been confirmed by Celtic. I really don't think that putting forward a negotiating position is in some way an insult.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s not insulting, that’s pure hyperbole.

In the context of how this Transfer Window has went though, for me, it isn’t close to being enough.

Random Review likes this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon referenced the figure in an interview, it's clear that's the figure we've told Tierney and his agent who have then disclosed it to Arsenal who are now trying to do a Lawwell to Lawwell. Lowball opening bid that they know will be rejected but that brings publicity and unsettles the player & selling club, delayed incremental increases while they get players, ex-players and pundits to talk it up. It's an embarrassing way to do business but we do it ourselves so there can hardly be complaints from our boardroom.

£25 million really should be easily doable for a club with Arsenal's finances. Well-connected journalists on both side of the deal have said they had looked to make part of the deal £1 million for every time Arsenal qualify for the Champions League during the duration of his contract. There's no way we should be accepting deals on those terms.

£25 million with at least 2/3rds of it paid up front, no longer than a further 12 months to pay the remaining 1/3rd and a 10-15% sell-on clause. If after 3 failed bids they don't agree to this then stop responding to them.

Gabriel likes this.
  10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    When they have been so reluctant to meet our asking price, and then signed a player for £72m, i think they are taking the * quite a bit.

I hope he ends up at spurs. I think he would do better there.

11. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    £25m for a left-back is huge money- especially one that's only 22 and is struggling with a series of hip and hernia injuries when his game depends upon his running speed.

The fee only seems an insult because we see Wan Bassaka going for £50m etc. Football manager stuff.

I still wouldn't sell him though because the money won't be re-invested. If we knew that 25m was going to be spent on re-building the entire team with a few 7m signings I'd say yeh, but its just gonna go into shareholders bank accounts.

Lewis Kerr and Dublin Celt like this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It can’t really be insulting if it’s how much we’ve asked for. If you walk into a Ferrari dealership and they want £10k for the latest model, that’s on the seller, not you.

We simply didn’t set the bar high enough. We’ve seen the success the VVD and Dembele have achieved, and this was an opportunity to push the boat out. A Celtic fan with a long term contract, at an age where his value won’t decline any time soon. I would’ve been saying he’s not for sale. If you want to maximise value then you do so after he’s had a particularly successful season (ideally in the CL) and when there are a few potential buyers.

Lewis Kerr and Seán Mac D like this.
  13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    It's probably no different than us wanting to go to eastern Europe for a better value player. We have to accept that we will not get as much for our players than we would if we played in a more glamorous league

14. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    No, given we only received 20 million for Dembele 25 million is decent money.
    Slightly off topic here but I don't think we will ever get 40/50 million for a player coming, directly, from our league unless we get very lucky and a few clubs are chasing that same player.

I dont think its insulting JC it's what happens. I bet the last time you bought a car you didn't simply pay the asking price.

15. scootz

It is. And it isn't.

Great player... plying his trade in a * league.

I get it. And I don't.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't think going to Spurs right now is a great idea, I can't see Pochettino being there much longer.

17. dmccourt95

30 would’ve been the right amount I think. The wan bissaka deal is inflated for 2 reasons. He’s going from one English team to another and he’s English himself. You need to have a certain amount of homegrown in that league so any English player will be about 20 million more especially when they are selling to teams within the same league as them.

For us if KT goes then has a couple of class seasons he’ll go bigger than arsenal and it will help take the next round of players from 25 mill over the 30 asking price much like van Dijk and wanyama helped us go from 12 upto 20 as an asking price for top players

saltire78 likes this.
  18. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    It's very good money for a player in the current day spfl, until the league is drastically improved from a quality and marketing standpoint we'll never be able to sell players at £40m.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Unless we do an ajax, Monaco etc and blow teams away in the champions league. Suddenly players go for 60m+

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

In comparison to what a player of Tierney's ability/potential would go for if he was playing for an EPL side - yes.

In comparison to all our other high fees for players in recent times - about fair. I personally wouldn't sell at that price but I can see why the board would find it hard to turn away. Stating that as the valuation is crazy though, shouldn't have set such a low figure.

VvD was the biggest steal for Southampton. Was clear as day he would be top drawer, £12m is mental (but then we paid £2m :39:)