1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Introductions - Say Hello Here!

Discussion in 'Newbies & FAQ' started by Dempsey, Jan 13, 2009.

Discuss Introductions - Say Hello Here! in the Newbies & FAQ area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Flo_MUC

hi guys,

I'm Flo from Munich and new here.

I can offer up to 6 Tickets for your Match in Munich next to the away Sector.
    I Would Exchange against Tickets for Celtic-FCB. I Need up to 2-3 Tickets.

Cheers

Account Deactivated likes this.
  2. SeanBhoy7

Your chances are slim to say the least.

3. Sporting CP Bhoy

Hello all- just wanted to introduce myself......I'm a Portuguese Celtic supporter, and a huge Sporting Clube de Portugal devotee by birth (Sporting Lisbon to the rest of the world).

I became infatuated with Celtic as a kid, obviously because of the similarities between Sporting's and Celtic's hooped kit and colors, and because of Celtic's Cup win in Lisboa, which many Portuguese remember to this day. Oh, how can I forget former Sporting/Celtic forward, Jorge Cadete? With hair like spaghetti?

My respect for Celtic was cemented in 2010 when I saw Sporting vs Celtic in Boston (where I live) when they played the "Football at Fenway" friendly, and it was a great atmosphere with lots of Sporting and Celtic fans singing and having a great time. The fact that both sets of fans were wearing green hoops made things a bit confusing, but after the game in the pubs, it was great to see Sporting and Celtic supporters exchange green hooped shirt for similar green hooped shirt, lol.

Anyway, looking forward to the banter, learning more about Celtic, and if any one is interested in learning more about your hooped brothers, Sporting Clube de Portugal, and the Portuguese Liga in general, I'm a good resource!

4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Welcome mate! How do u fancy ur chances in the league this year?

Sporting CP Bhoy likes this.
  5. Keano88

Welcome to the Forum, brother!

[​IMG]

6. Sporting CP Bhoy

Thanks for the welcome!

I think our chances of winning the League this year are quite good, IMO Sporting have the best, most cohesive squad I've seen in years, even better than the squad we had two years ago when we lost out to our hated rival, Benfica literally by a hair.

We're undefeated in the league and have been scoring quite a bit of goals. Our strikers, Bas Dost and Seydou Doumbia are excellent and productive, our prized right winger, Gelson Martins is an absolute wizard and attacking threat for club and country, new attacking midfielder/second forward, Bruno Fernandes is one to keep an eye on, as he's a star in the making and our back line of Sebastien Coates and former Barca CB, Jeremy Mathieu are excellent. Can't forget about Rui Patricio, who is our excellent long time goalkeeper and who has minded the net for the Portuguese national team for years. Very expensive Argentine left winger/midfielder, Marcos Acuña, has been very good, providing excellent crossing.

Regarding our rivals, we're tied with Porto and both clubs are undefeated and Benfica are two points behind. Should be an exciting season as Sporting has a cracking squad and I have high hopes. We also won our first Champion's League game by beating Olympiakos in Athens, which is no easy task, we also smashed Steau Bucharest in Romania, 5-1 in the last CL qualifier, now we play Barca and Juventus, eesh......

7. Sporting CP Bhoy

T
    Thanks! Love the Hulkster!

8. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Yeah I think your team is very good this year, Dost is an excellent striker and Martins is a brilliant winger! Hope you guys win it anyway, not so keen on Porto for ovbious reasons haha!

How do people in Portugal view Celtic as a whole, do you find many Celtic fans in portUgal and what do other clubs think of us?

9. Sporting CP Bhoy

In my experience, Celtic is viewed positively by Sportinguistas, again, mostly because of the hoops and colors, as well as the fact that Sporting's symbol is the Lion and the connection with Celtic's Lisbon Lions. Celtic also garnered Sporting support when Jorge Cadete went to Celtic from Sporting. I think It's somewhat seamless to be a Sportinguista and also like Celtic, let's put it this way, I've never met a Sportinguista who ever said anything derrogatory about Celtic, and when you go to our home stadium, the Estadio Jose Alvalade, you see quite a few Celtic jerseys worn by both expats and Portuguese Sportinguistas as well!

One other thing, when Sporting played Rangers at home in the Europa League many years ago, a segment of the traveling Rangers support were singing "Are you Celtic in disguise?" at us, which in hindsight was humorous, but it irked some Sportinguistas. A few Sportinguistas brought Celtic flags to that game to egg on the Rangers fans as well.

Regarding other Portuguese clubs, I don't know of any synergy between Benfica/Porto and Celtic, and I've never heard supporters of those clubs even talk about Celtic, one way or another, and to be fair, I don't see how a Benfica or Porto supporter could naturally have an affinity for Celtic when Celtic and Sporting have nearly the same kits. If you wore a Celtic jersey to Benfica's Estadio da Luz, I don't think that would go over too well with some elements of the Benfica support, where as if you wore it to Sporting's stadium, you would be welcomed. You have to remember the deep, heated rivalry between Sporting and Benfica, for the most part, we don't like anything red and they don't like green.

It's safe to say that Celtic are a very well know and respected club in Portugal, the fact that Portugal is a traditionally Catholic country doesn't hurt, in regards to club perception, but that doesn't mean so much in this day and age, anymore.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Account Deactivated likes this.
  10. ddub11

Welcome enjoy the fun!

11. Sporting CP Bhoy

Thanks! Will do.

ddub11 likes this.
  12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Welcome :50:

13. Sporting CP Bhoy

Thank you/Obrigado!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Right mate. Time for the TalkCeltic introductory quiz. Just pick your favourite from each on the list

Benfica or Porto
    Home games or away games
    2-0 or 5-4
    Guarananteed Champions League last 16 or guaranteed Eurpoa League Quarter Finals
    Black Pudding or White Pudding
    Guinness or Lager
    France or Spain
    France or Scotland
    Cricket or Baseball
    Aberdeen or Hearts
    Rizzoli and Isles or Murdoch Mysteries
    Rugby League or Rugby Union
    Francis Hughes or Robbie Keane

15. Sporting CP Bhoy

Ok, let's tackle this....

1. Benfica or Porto? That's like asking me if I would rather be stabbed or shot....no love whatsoever for both, but there's a special disdain between Sporting and Benfica, have to go with Porto...yuck

2. Home games definitely, not as stressful, more of a 12th man presence helps.

3. 5-4, because 2-0 signifies that not only did your defense fail, but so did your offence, complete failure.

4. Have to go with guaranteed CL last 16, more prestige and money.

5. Love both, but I love black pudding, last time I was in Scotland, I ate far more of it than I should've. The Portuguese version of it is fantastic as well.

6. Guinness, I drank much more than I should've at one point in my life.

7. France or Spain? Tough question, both countries are lovely, I like both, Spain is Portugal's Iberian rival, but they're our siblings as well, we've fought wars with both, so, because of the proximity I guess I'll go with Spain.

8. I love Scotland, will be back there again soon, had a wonderful stay in Edinburgh and St. Andrew's recently, but France has better weather, I'll say Scotland.

9. Baseball, I'm also American.

10. I hate teams in red, but I'll go with Aberdeen, they have European history.

11. Murdoch Mysteries, I like period pieces.

12. Definitely Rugby Union.

13. Francis Hughes or Robbie Keane? Going with familiarity here, Robbie Keane, I've watched him play, Francis Hughes was someone I know little about.

Hope I passed!

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. kevzycopp

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hailhail
    HELLO i am Kev a loyal life long hoops fan .hailhail to everyone

17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

18. DJBUHH

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Lennon, Brown, Hartson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hello friends!

My name is Kacper, i am from Poland. I am 21 years old. I study law in polish city named Zielona Gora. I support this amazing Club since 2005 when Artur "The holy goalie" Boruc joined Celtic. I love this club, and i will love this club til my last breath.

Cheers and sorry for my english, i will try do my best!

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

20. Dziekanowski88 Thig Ar Latha

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jacki Dziekanowski
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hi Bhoys new member here big celtic fan since my 1st game in the late 80's. Also worked down at celtic park selling the odd programme and / or fanzine . Big programme and shirt collector. Old school St Ninians in kirky where our up and coming new bhoys are well looked after by all accounts ! HH

StPauli1916 likes this.