1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

(IMO) Our Obsession With 10IAR is Halting Our Progress

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Cupid Stunt, May 30, 2019.

Discuss (IMO) Our Obsession With 10IAR is Halting Our Progress in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’ve never seen anyone say we should just be content with only 10IAR. Just that it’s our main focus.

Fan opinions don’t translate to regression on the pitch though. The players all want to succeed in Europe and the cups.

2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    There are a fair amount of people who I have seen that are happy to neglect the cups and Europe for 10IAR. That represents complete short run and unambitious rationale, for me.

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I used to be worried about the pressure 10 would have on the players. Now I think it is their duty.

The Lions achievement was phenomenal but the huns created an illusion by matching the number. When the world found out that team was an illusion as well then not a few of us expected quite reasonably some of those titles would be stripped.

It's not going to happen so we have to rewrite the history books once again. For the greater good.

4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Thing is tv and money from the league can’t be used when we got into the champions league for two seasons had 30 million sitting in the bank.

That’s why this time it makes it much worse for me.

ddub11 likes this.
  5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    A move to the EPL and a lot of luck.

Sean Daleer and Seán Mac D like this.
  6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I have seen one person on here suggest they would rather we weren’t playing in Europe next season, not linked to the 10 though. Apparently we’re just * and shouldn’t try.

It’s quite simple really - win the league, get into the CL, try to stay in Europe post Christmas. Winning the league facilitates
    everything and doing well in Europe strengthens our position domestically.

One thing I would mention though, some are saying that if we do well in Europe then the league will take care of itself. That simply isn’t true. The best Celtic side in recent memory reached a European final and finished the season trophy-less.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t see how wanting to dominate the league and a gateway into Europe would hold us back.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Well you're just not looking hard enough.

Gabriel and Liam Scales like this.
  9. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Probably already been said but 10 is our current goal imo but we should also be looking beyond that.
    Part of the reason the old Huns * their tilt for the 10 was they couldn’t look beyond that - it was their ultimate goal. They didn’t build a team for the future past 9, 10 even 11 and instead relied on too many players who were on a downward slope and it cost them.
    They simply ran out of steam.

We should be focused on the future at all times and putting ourselves in a position where we look at the next 5 to 10 years - in signings, our academy and commercial side.

10. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Football is about bragging rights as often as not. I think our progress has been hindered this year more by injury than the spectre of 10 in a row.

Limitations on budget is the secondary issue that has and will have an effect on progress. We wont genuinely improve in European terms until we break the shackles of Scottish football - but I doubt that will ever happen.

Winning the league each year is the primary target and should always be the same. 10 is just a number, but undoubtedly is a very significant one in terms of psyche and importance for bragging as I mentioned earlier.

As we get closer to that milestone I don't doubt that it will become even more of a primary focus, but we are creating history with every passing season. This is our time, and it should be enjoyed to the full.

11. oh bhoy

10 in a row is a realistic target and it's never been Done before I think it's good to have that aim. Once 10 in a row is secured ,the focus will be on going for 55 i don't think that will be an obsession either.I think i get when the op is coming from though this time of the year again 3trophies in the bag and you kind of forget how pish we were in europe earlier on

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’d agree with you, but it does also highlight the significance on the 10. Thankfully, I don’t think there’s a hope in * of the club neglecting Europe or the cups.

13. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Id rather play the reserves in betfred and concentate on lesgue and europe.

cidermaster and Bayern Bru like this.
  14. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Actually to an extent can see where whoever said that is coming from, wouldn’t not want to be in Europe and the UCL cash is massive, but previous 2 years in champions league losing 7-0,7-1 and 5-0 at home is demoralising and is just not enjoyable

Genuinely think Europa League is our level, still playing good team s but at least a go to they games looking forward to them thinking if we play well tonight EG Leipzig, we have a good chance of winning

15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Brilliant Post,best Post on here all May:50:
    Funny I was talking to some fellow Celtic fans up in Kingussie back in early April and we were talking the same.

16. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I'm sure by the time the qualifiers come around in July the expectation levels will be just as high for Europe as in previous seasons. No brainer really, 9 and 10 are crucial to everyone and rightfully so but so is the potential £30m plus from champions league group stages in terms of long term dominance domestically and for club image worldwide.

I can't see the board accepting a poor showing in the qualifiers given their focus on a nice healthy bank balance. Would make it all the more baffling if lenny gets a series of 19 year old project players rather than the 2 or 3 (at least) first 11 ready signings the team needs.

Don't get me wrong, good to always have an eye on the future and pick up the clever bosmans when they come along, but losing out on top targets because we won't stretch another million or so isn't going to cut it this summer

cidermaster and StPauli1916 like this.
  17. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

I just want see us getting out of this infinite loop of being guaranteed points for the other teams in the group. Used to get a good chuckle at the Huns in the Champions League when I knew they were good for at least 4 points to the other teams. They were paying some of Europe's highest wages and fees back then so they really have no excuse for the weekly pasting they got by the likes of Juventus and Ajax.

18. Cupid Stunt

Well that got a much more reasoned response and less abuse than I was expecting :56:

Obviously some of the responses I agree with and some of which less so and others actually made me think about alternate view points. I wish I had more time to sit and discuss it more because people genuinely were so reasonable in their response whether they agreed or not.

Hopefully in the next couple of days if it still seems relevant I'll maybe get some time to sit down and respond properly.

19. saltire78

I think there's 2 real reasons for the focus on 10iar:

1) nobody actually thought double or treble trebles were possible, so this was what people wanted as an historic line in the sand for our current dominance.
    2) there's a belief - correct or not, that our achieving it will mortally demoralise sevco and their supporters to the point they'll self destruct trying to stop it, or after it's achieved. We revel in their fear of our achieving it, and their pathetic attempt to downplay it.

There's credence to both, and it's understandable that they're popular opinions.

From the board's perspective the argument is surely:

1) winning leagues keeps regular European revenue streams open, CL or EL doesn't matter too much, as both keep shareholders mostly happy.
    2) gambling on Europe at the expense of the league could turn out to open the door to sevco to fluke the league - an act that may gain THEM enough revenue to genuinely bring them back into play as contenders. That's not true at the moment as we could always go up a gear and reassert ourselves.
    3) the points above keep the fans onside.

As well as Tories on the board, our actual structure since the Bunnet has been conservative (small c). Can't see us changing that from a position that's working for results, growth and recognition, unfortunately.

20. wulliebad

Winning the league should always be our number one target regardless of how many in a row we have done.
    Its not often our club gets to set a new record.
    Europe and CL...those days are done....we simply do not have the money needed to progress.
    If we are brutal and look at the players we think we have that are good enough to make a difference in Europe how often do they simply not turn up......I think at times we get carried away with the quality we think we have.