1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Peej, Apr 27, 2017.

Discuss Hypothetical in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    With the feel good factor, the Rodgers Revelation and the general buzz around the place, then hypothetical, what if we won a European cup in the next couple years?

In years gone by we have undoubtedly had some excellent players in our team, unfortunately they have maybe missed playing alongside each other. But what if next summer we happen to have our next equivalent of Dembele, Wanyama, Virgil and even a Forster all in the team, plus signing roberts full time, armstrong being even better than he is now, along with Tierney and even Ralston coming through in a similar mould. Sinclair continues the form he is in this season and we see jozo sign long term?

A little bit of luck goes our way with a group like that of leicster this year, we even get a string of luck in the knock outs. Finally meeting a Dortmund in the final and winning the * tournament.
    Say we go on to the world club tournament and just so happen to win that as well. Wearing that nice big fifa badge the following season.

Now, obviously very very very unlikely to happen. But what if?
    What would happen next?

I think a lot if not most of those players would want to stay. We would also have a massive cash windfall and could afford one or two nice players - clearly not a * hazard or something. But do you think that sort of mad scenario could result in further success? Would Scottish football see an up turn?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

2. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    very possible just look at the uefa semi teams,celta vigo,ajax,lyon.

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What next? I'd die from alcohol poisoning from the celebrations. :giggle1:

4. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Europa League isn't a million miles away from where we are.

CL is however. There's hypothetical and then there's dreamland.

Sydneysider likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye think it was looking at Ajax run of games/teams last round and thinking, if that was us no danger we would fair quite well in their place.

Think under rodgers and based on this season as a whole, a good run in Europa isnt out the question.

A champions league run/win is certainly dreamland, and the amount of sheer luck to fall our way will be unbelievable. But it is just that, a dreamland hypothetical situation. I firmly do not believe it to ever happen in any state of football that we currently or could foresee being in.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bring back VVD, Denayer and keep Roberts, Get rid of Biton.
    Bring in Naka to coach the team on taking free kicks.
    Bring through a few of the youth that deserve first team place.
    Miracles could happen.

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Theirs always a surprise package monaco have only two known players Falcao and moutinho yes we now know other players like mbappe and fabio and they are now in semi's

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

8. jamesfr

Europa League would be a possibility in the Rodgers reign then who knows how good we could get,would need to be very luck to win the Champions league with the current financial structure of European football.
    A whole restructuring would need to take place before we could expect to win it.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We were absolutely thrashed by a mediocre(by their standards) Barca side.. although there's no way we'd lose as heavily now.

A massive improvement is required and the step up in class is very hard to combat. We are so used to having the ball domestically for such long periods in matches, that when we come up against quality opposition in Europe it's alien to the way we play and we get punished.

Europe is where BR and us as a club will be judged, we should be looking at firstly qualification for the CL and 2nd and 3rd place finishes thereafter..

A run in the Europa is realistic, the CL is a pipe dream the gulf and step up in n class is too vast.

10. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I genuinely believe this is a better chance of winning the Europa than O'Neill had in 2003.

Sydneysider and ChrisMoh like this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Anyone can get thrashed by barca look at psg

Sydneysider likes this.
  12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Getting paddy on a perm deal, a new centerback to pair with jozo, and possibly a new goalkeeper(being harsh to gordon i know) and the europa league isnt miles away. Those improvements could be massive.

13. StevieBhoooy!

I'd love to have a Nakamura in this side right now!

Free-kick Armageddon !

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

True, but Barca at their best wouldn't have been in that position and were beaten comfortably by Juve too..

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The 2003 side were much more solid in defence and obviously had Henrik, this side with BR at the helm has potential but is still a little way off that side. In two years time though with some good additions who knows..

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It's a hard one with barca they did it against psg but juventus are a more defensive team I guess they might have got a goal but they don't be seem to playing for their manager when he needs them they haven't replaced Alves and iniesta can be the xavi type because he just isn't got the steel

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

That's what I mean by mediocre by their standards.. obviously on their day they can beat anyone still.

18. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Our defeat at the nou camp we had De Vries in goal though so probably wouldnt have got as pumped as we did had it been oor Gordy.

19. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A good run in the Europa League is most definitely on the cards. Only need to look at the sides in the latter stages of it this season.

I personally think the quarters of the CL would be our ceiling but it's what we should strive for. At least if you get there you have a chance of a semi and you never know with a bit of luck.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think as a side we're so much further on now, the players now know what BR wants and his message on tactics and the technical side will be so much clearer, compared to then. So I don't think we'd lose so heavily..

However that is our last campaign in Europe and it's fair to draw comparisons from it. When you look at how Munich destroyed Arsenal too, I honestly feel we're miles off being competitive in the CL at the moment anyway.

Jax Teller likes this.