1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Never feel like chucking it in as the board isn't the club, but I am a bit scunnered with us at the moment.

Year after year it's the same story. When we hired Rodgers I thought that it had finally clicked that investing money was worthwhile if it was done properly, but we're back to penny pinching and total incompetence off the field. We've had about three years to sign a good RB and we've utterly failed at that. We've brought in loan signings instead of investing money in young players with high upside. We've ignored just about every weakness in the squad.

2. Maestro 08

Yeah we definitely need defensive reinforcements. Although i wouldnt mind a couple of attacking options(mainly a new ST) they shouldn't be a priority over defensive players. The ones you mention plus Christie, who I think with a full season behind him could easily get 15/20 goals from midfield should see us alright. The backline is a different matter though.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

This is starting to get worrying tbh. We can only stand still for so long and expect to keep up domestic dominance. Infact, we haven't even stood still have we? We have gone backwards. Benkovic and boyata have left the building, ntcham looks exit bound too. Could be argued Roberts, dembele and Armstrong haven't been replaced.

I think we have hit a stage where signings isn't even about improvement anymore it about maintaining a standard we have set for years now. We cannot continue to let first team players go and not have them replaced. It will bite us.

Like some have posted though I feel like with the current board this will always be the case. This board seem to act when something goes wrong, as opposed to predicting a problem. How is this allowed to happen?

As things stand, I give us very little chance of making the CL group stages. We had a stronger squad this time last year - even then, we desperately needed new signings

4. Cupid Stunt

Didn't see that coming.

It all means * all if we don't continue to grow and progress as a club, like I said, all those achievements, as amazing as they are will mean * all if they aren't followed up by more success especially when it's nearing on sabotage. Our main rivals are scrambling about for loanees, bosmans and League 1 players, whilst we're sitting on about £40million in cash.

We have to address the glaring deficiencies in our squad and fill the gaps that have been left by outgoing players.

All of this should have been planned for and steps should have been taken months ago to ensure we got people through the door early on. We have to pull something out of the bag to stem the negativity and regression that is happening. My apathy is built upon the fact that I don't see any signs of urgency and there is nobody at the club I trust enough to think they will even try to turn this round. They will be more than happy for us to go in to the CL qualifiers and the league campaign having added nobody.

The IRA likes this.
  5. Cupid Stunt

I mean, they kind of are.

They are at least an integral part of it and I just can't bring myself to fund their wages and bonuses anymore.

6. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    If Christopher Jullien doesn't happen, we are in really bad shape. The board/Peter seem to have no contingency plans and just figure out * as they go. Absolutely * and unforgivable for a club that professes to have ambition like ours.

Cupid Stunt likes this.
  7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    So logically does this mean 1967 means * all as well ?

8. Cupid Stunt

It does at the time you're sitting winning * all.

We can all enjoy past glories and 67 was so * exceptional that it will rightly always be remembered and celebrated but it is also so wildly different to the situation we are in right now.

Say we lose the league to a Rangers team made up of loans, freebies and bosmans, are you going to sit there and go, ah well, £40 mil in the bank, we won treble trebles before this season and rejoice over winning the European Cup? Of course you aren't. Any Celtic fan would be rightly livid, perplexed, embarrassed...

We should always be looking forward, that doesn't mean you can't celebrate past glories, but ultimately the achievements of the past 8 years will not hold up with time the same way anything the Lisbon Lions did if we self-destruct and allow Rangers back on to our level.

The IRA likes this.
  9. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    We need a cb and rb in before Friday its a must.

10. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    The answer to the thread title would be very * badly it would seem :56:

11. freitassen

I believe any team in the third round and a good number of the teams in the second round are capable of beating us if we go with a defense of Hayes, Hendry and Ralston. Not even that is a given. I know nothing about FK Sarajevo, but going by past years, if how much of a work worse teams gave us, and back then we have a better squad and, I hate to admit, a better manager, I would not rule anything out.

Another team like AEK or even Rosenborg would absoutely rip this * apart at the moment.

paulo123 likes this.
  12. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    we need at least 5 real quality players and 3 of them should be defenders.

13. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Let's be honest does any player with a pedigree want to come here to advance his career by being coached by Lennon, Kennedy and Duff?? Not gonna happen...and wait, Tosh McKinlay as one of the club amabssadors/outreach people? Jesus...

This is really going to be a tough season. We still despite all this have the best squad by far, but with a coaching staff with average abilities anything is possible next year.

Well we wanted excitement and more competition, I think we will get what we ask for.

Maybe Lawell is pulling us backwards to make the league more interesting to the broadcasters lol

14. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Couldn't help but laugh at some of these posts I'm very confident we'll get the players in needed in time for the opening league matches. CL would be a bonus. Next week we'll have 2 in. A defender and an attacker.

15. Murph-E

It'll be Stephen O'Donnell, Gary Hooper and 2 loan signings.

16. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

* sick to death of transfer windows and plans and all this *.

Find myself checking the phone at all these websites, newsnowceltic on * speed dial. Then get home from work to see if anything is happening signing wise and invariably....
    * ALL.

Sick to death with the way we go about business...shower of *.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  17. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I keeping this quote for posterity.

Not for oneupmanship or "told you so-isms".

Just to show future generations when they ask what happened to the 10.

18. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    No it isn't.

Valhalla likes this.
  19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think we always worry because it's the same rhetoric every window, we are hoping to do this and are working hard to get players in etc etc.......

The feeling is it will be another let down because of previous transfer windows, hopefully that isn't the case.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thats exactly the kind of expectation the mood music from the club is trying to set. Of course, the truth is CL revenue is very important to us.

LectersLuncheon, The IRA and Valhalla like this.