1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do We Approach Our Summer Business?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Jun 1, 2019.

Discuss How Do We Approach Our Summer Business? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I know how the media approach our summer business..

With negativity, every positive is met with a negative spin.. There's no parity whatsoever..

Random Review likes this.
  2. simpy

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson,charlie nicklas(1st season)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I know terrible season,but the world keeps spinning

3. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Nobody is disputing that treble season isn't a good season.

But the reason for my reply was someone had mentioned we got Eddie over the line early last season and then proceeded to sit in our hands, hopefully that's not repeated after Turnbull

To which the reply was we won the treble - almost to justify the transfer window.

But it was mismanaged and chaotic and was the biggest reason we didn't qualify for champions league like the previous two seasons, therefore downgrading a great season to a good season.

Dress it up whatever way you want but that's fact!!

4. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    I see more and more chat recently about squad size and games number games we now play.

It's not the level of games we had for example under MON and even WGS.
    McGregor a great example with 60 games or so.

Top players in other top leagues hit about 45 games. So we need to balance that out and share the workload.

In my eyes we probably need a core group of around 18 players that will play that 40-50 games. Supplemented my half a dozen players getting around 20-30 games. And maybe 3 or 4 young players getting maybe dozen run outs if we prefer to keep them around the squad than loan them out.

How many more players do we need to complete that core 18 because we shouldn't need to back fill the other 2 categories bar potentially a back up right back

5. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The squad has needed a proper investment for a good couple of years. Only so long they can keep attempting to paper over the cracks

Rydo1888* and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Papering over the cracks? Of the treble treble winners? :giggle1:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The cracks of the squad.

Not dealing properly with the right back position, or the centre back position, or getting a left back good enough to challenge/be an able back up to Tierney. Having 1 striker for most of the season last time out.

He's right. The squad hasn't been freshened and strengthened anywhere near enough the last couple of years.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Operation stop the 10 is in overdrive. Underhanded, negative and divisive reporting is all the Scottish media has driven about the 8 in a row Champions and 3 times on the trot Treble winners.

If a stranger picked up a newspaper in Scotland I’d be amazed if they could tell you who the team are that’s been unstoppable over a period of a decade.

The 10 would be that seismic it would not only kill Newco but hopefully rock SMSM to the core as well.

9. HH88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Treble treble is an achievement, but don't be fooled into thinking that we have any serious competition in Scottish Football. Our team was worse than last year and our team has been getting progressively worse since sevco went down.

You're a classic example of the fan the board loves, happy as long as we win the league, doesn't notice the deteriorating quality of the squad measured against the only constant (Europe) and an inferior performance to the season before. You don't recognise something slipping, you only recognised once it's dropped

10. BhoysInGreen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura. Current: Van Dijk/Lustig
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    It’s my *. It’s stuck. Stuck on the seat. If only we had a couple of players to get my * off the seat.

11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Isn't that the same as this place though? :giggle1:

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not a surprise. Loads of easily led panty wetting eejits on here :56:

13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    In 5 and a half weeks we could have real games to play against decent teams and as we sit here now we only have Ralston, Ajer, Simunovic, Bitton, Hendry, Tierney and Hayes as a defence - one of them has been injured for a long time and just been operated on, 2 aren't defenders and 2 of the others are Ralston and Hendry who have played about 30 games between them.

Surely we must know what defenders we want and must start making moves to get at least one signed within a month. Sitting 2 injuries away from disaster at the back.

14. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is where all the money is going, the board loves a Crystal Sean Daleer in their hoose :56:

I don't think they would like that you have hanging in your hoosse o_O

15. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I think even the greatest optimist needs to look at this and see we could * it up big time if we get any player injured.

The boards moto is to come out each window stronger, it’s not happened for a number of windows and we are at bare bones at the back.

It really does put it into perspective 5 and a half weeks. That will fly by.

16. murphy88

With the squad we have just now there is absolutely no chance we are qualifying for the group stages. Come the time of the first qualifiers we still won't have a team capable of qualifying in my opinion. We draw a team the level of AEK who were pretty poor in all honesty and we will get knocked out again because we are poorer now than we were then.

We have won a treble treble which was an unbelievable feeling and achievement, but we have done it whilst regressing as a team, that cannot be argued. It just feels like the board have reverted back to the norm after the big appointment of Rodgers and getting the fans back and paying for season tickets. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if we come out this window weaker than we were at the end of last season.

17. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think no matter who you are or how well you are going (treble treble) you still need to move forward as a team as with any industry you have to forward think. We have a unusual amount of players returning to their parent clubs after loans who were first team or squad players and quite a few off on their way.

Even great teams who are successful like Bayern and who dominate their league are instantly refreshing their squads we need to do the same to move forward an achieve the quadruple treble the the quintuple treble which would give us 10 in a row.
    Now in order to get there and get passed every cheating scum ref we need to have a squad that has real strength and for that we need to add a good 4-5 players and retain the ones we do have.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    1. Sevco have never gone down.

2 So you think the Invincibles team was progressively worse than teams of the preceding couple of seasons ?

19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Pretty unbelievable we return to pre season tommorow already! International players back next week 24th without 1 new signing but 10 out the door.

Squad as it stands

Bain
    Gordon

Ralston

Ajer
    Simunovic
    Hendry
    Compper

Tierney
    Miller

Brown
    McGregor
    Ntcham
    Kouassi
    Bitton
    Rogic
    Mulumbu

Forrest
    Morgan
    Hayes
    Shved
    Sinclair
    Arzani

Edouard
    Bayo
    Griffiths

Youths

Dembele
    Oko-flex
    Henderson
    Johnstone

That’s with 10 departures!

29 players! Ones in bold I would get rid of ASAP!

20. Maestro 08

That moto Lawell peddles every window is hard to quantify. He's a numbers man, what does he know about player ability. If he knows what makes us stronger then he should double up as our chief scout. Realistically in his mind adding quantity rather than quality constitutes coming out the window stronger. Our transfer policy of late certainly seems to bore that out. We need quality not an endless stream of squad fillers in the mold of Compper, Hendry, Izzy and our annual bunch of loanees.