1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Honest Mistakes Thread 2016/17 onwards.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bonobhoy, Aug 7, 2016.

Discuss Honest Mistakes Thread 2016/17 onwards. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    People need to man up, nothing wrong with a bit of aggression in football. One of Martin O'Neill's Celtic's best attributes.

One of the biggest reasons I love Scott Brown.

I'd be a hypocrit if I cried about players showing aggression against us. There's a major difference between that and delibrately trying to injure players like Gardner et al. a solid, no nonsense player though? Go for it and match it.

ourdaywillcome! and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Absolutely there's nothing wrong with aggression. And its something which we have dealt with under Rodgers. We did so yesterday with Dundee, in Scottish football you have to compete physically with teams.

However over the last few months, there have been a few instances where aggression or being competitive has gone beyond the rules and been needless.

O'Dea yesterday, Vigurs a few weeks ago at home, and the Motherwell boy in particular. Did O'Dea need to do what he done yesterday? The answer is no. It was reckless,dangerous and he had no intention of making a play on the ball. Do I think he intended to harm? No, however it doesn't excuse his actions.

I too enjoy the competitive nature of Scott Brown. He's actually a good example which highlights the inconsistency of refs in the game. Brown was booked yesterday for a foul and rightly so. Like last weeks game,no hesitation in the decision to book him by the official.

What was the difference between Brown and Holt(on Forrest 1st half) challenges yesterday??

Holt yesterday and many others week after week are afforded extra opportunities to disrupt our attacks with persistent fouling. As the refs facilitate with inconsistent application of the rules.

As a result the quality of football and viewing for the fans is effected. Negatively for me.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't think it was that dangerous, certainly not in Vigurs territory. He dragged him down, even Sinclair didn't make a fuss of it.

We gave as good as we got yesterday, O'Dea getting it the worst tbh. I'm quite happy with that. Protect our players but don't be *, that's my view of it.

4. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Listen, we're the best team in the country - by far.

Teams know that. They know the can't come out and play against us, they can't open up. Look at what we've done to Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts at times this year. Why would teams come out and play when they know full well they'll get hammered?

Teams are well within their rights to be a bit more aggressive, try and knock us off our game and test our mettle in that sense.

High tackles and obvious elbows etc is obviously too far, but getting close and making it physical is no problem for me. Scott Brown is famous/infamous for it. He'll give players a knock, try and wind players up and, as we've seen before, will sometimes just outright kick someone.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That's fine, we all accept the nature of Scottish football and the aggressiveness that goes with it.....what I don't accept is team's knowing they have (almost) free reign to clatter us, and constantly whenever we break away..

Broony has been mentioned and fine, got the booking he deserved yesterday and any other time. But it's funny (not really) that when we go in for one of what these side's do all game, and get booked but Holt for example is allowed to stay on to foul Forrest and Paddy knowing full well he's unlikely to be sent off..

This has been happening all season..

Hard, fair and occasionally borderline or over? Normal. Hard, dirty and every week without correct punishment with (right) card's or penalties? Joke..

Gabriel, The IRA and HoopswithPride like this.
  6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Edit: never mind

7. LloydsGamble

Looking at it again, it's more like a judo throw. Wasn't malicious, just completely out of place in a football match.

I'm not even sure if it should be a red, wasn't violent or anything, just a weird one all round.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Maybe he didn't. But he flew into the challenge recklessly, a challenge which could have inflicted - in fact did - serious harm.

Then he was hanging around Sinclair's neck yesterday before trying to take Moussa out of the game.

I don't care if he played for Celtic. His approach to our players is dangerous.

9. doctor venglos

I'm thinking now the reason the SFA didn't take any retrospective action against the three Sevco players is maybe they thought because as it ended a 1-1 draw that neither team got a material advantage out of it, and that by demoting the ref Bobby Madden to the Championship was a sufficient punishment. Just a thought.

10. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    That O'dea rugby tackle is something you would do to your mate while having a kick about down the park.

Absolutely disgraceful.

11. Green And White

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youl never walk alone.
    I can understand getting stuck into challenges and being a little bit aggressive, but rugby tackling someone?

12. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

'Dangerous'? 'Disgraceful'?

Not sure I agree. It was certainly a cynical challenge. A lot of Dundee's players were guilty of that. Stopping us getting into a rhythm, not letting us in behind them, breaking up the play etc etc.

Their players were doing that a lot yesterday, and a lot of fouls and bookings were given as a consequence. That is the big difference between the Dundee game and the Rangers game. Collum gave fouls and bookings, whereas Madden (rightly or wrongly) was trying to let the game flow.

ourdaywillcome! and Liam Scales like this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I've cheered Bobo doing worse

StPauli1916 likes this.
  14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That doesn't make it legal.

He grabbed him round the neck and hauled him to the ground.

I've seen people get a red card for spitting.

Where is the line?

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's not just O'Dea, it's this culture of it alright to go in really hard on our players because we are better than the opposition.

What do you think would happen to Broony if he tackled someone neck high?

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:

My personal line is intent mate. I'm not arguing that it's legal.

Spitting is way beyond my personal line, respect Zidane a lot more for sticking the nut on Matterazzi rather than spit on him :56:

I think there's a lot of absolute * in football these days, don't mind a hard as nails games. He rugby tackled Sinclair, Jozo elbowed him in the face, O'Dea took a kick to the coupon from Dembele without complaint and the 50/50 between them where Dembele came out on top and O'Dea got injure? * brilliant from Dembele, I like a bit of steel about players games.

Not surprising from a Paul Hartley team btw, him and Barry Robson were the ultimate at the sorta play.

That's all very different than the likes of the tackle on Tierney a couple of weeks ago or Vigurs tackle. That was delibrately trying to cause injury, that's where I draw the line.

StPauli1916 and Just Kieran like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Not for me mate. That was a rugby tackle. I never seen anything from our players that was comparable to that.

I'm all for a physical game but if the ref does his job, a lot more of our opponents would be having early baths.

I'll say again, do you think the ref would be so understanding if Broony hauled someone to the ground by the neck? I don't.

18. HailHoopy

We all know what would've happened if Broony done that
    :redcard:

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jozo elbowed somebody on the back of the head, which was probably worse, think that big dumpling they had up front.

Not disagreeing with your 2nd paragraph at all but I don't think it contradicts what I'm saying - Vigurs should have got a red, Kenny Miller should have got a red same with Waghorn, same with that * from Motherwell on Tierney. I don't see that contradicting what I'm saying at all.

Depends on the ref and who were playing mate, as always. Broony's got very good at knowing when and how to get away with it but hence him recieving few red cards but still being a sneaky, sly hard as nails absolute *. One of the biggest reasons I * love him.

20. SouthCoastCelt

You are all calling it a rugby tackle, it isn't, well not a legal one (dangerous/high tackle). Minimum yellow, maybe red card.

Absolutely disgraceful thing to see on a football pitch. O'Dea should have walked for that, didn't even attempt to compete for the ball - only to take the player out. Didn't they used to call that a professional foul?