1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrik Larsson

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by PaddyBhoy, Apr 4, 2011.

Discuss Henrik Larsson in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

Will be sure to pass all these messages on to my dad. Cheers troops x

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Canny watch it. I’ll greet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I was gonna stick up the interview at the end but I will leave it.

5. marco van basten 9

Fav Celtic Player:
    king of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    rumours in swedish media that hes going to England as manager for southend utd. hail hail.

6. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sinclair may be in there aswell but only The king is mentioned Twice
    Video is class

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

It’s Trevor not Scott.

8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I would like to be correct :56:

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Bit of a * list after watching it and seeing Di Canio.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Love the king and I'll get stick for this but he comes across a complete bore when he's speaking. Possibly why he hasn't done well in his coaching..

Don't think he'll cut it in management anywhere..

11. GavCFC1

At the Southend game today

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Rydo1888* likes this.
  14. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Be a stupid move for him

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ken who wants to live on the Sea.

Madness If he moves.

16. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Heard sutton talking about them saying they were a shambles of a club on the verge of administration, be a really weird move.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SOUTHEND chairman Ron Martin admits he is planning further talks with Celtic legend Henrik Larsson over the vacant manager’s post at the club.

Former Sweden, Barcelona, Manchester United and Hoops striker Larsson was an interested spectator as the Shrimpers picked up a 1-0 win at MK Dons on Saturday under the guidance of caretaker boss Gary Waddock.

The 48-year-old has been out of work since leaving his dugout position at Helsingborg in his homeland a month ago after receiving verbal abuse following a shock cup defeat to minnows Oskarshamn.

And Martin admits Larson, who scored 242 goals in 315 games for Celtic, is high on his short-list to replace Kevin Bond.

He said: “Having Henrik Larsson join us on Saturday was simply part of the continuing interview process.

“I have a number of people to see this week and shall also be talking further with Henrik.

This necessary due diligence to find the best option for the club is also not a negative reflection on Gary Waddock who is, in any event, well placed to influence our thinking.

The team under his guidance did excellently against MK Dons.

“Whilst it is possible I am, nevertheless, doubtful a decision will be made, and implemented, by the weekend.”

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HENRIK Larsson is in pole position to be SouthendUnited’s next manager, Echosport understands.

Blues chairman Ron Martin revealed in a club statement yesterday that an appointment is close to being made.

And Larsson, who has watched Blues twice this season, is now the firm favourite for the role.

Ex Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt is also rumoured to be coming to Roots Hall as Larsson’s assistant while ex Notts County and Celtic forward Tommy Johnson is also believed to be part of the new look coaching team.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

In Glasgow, he is known as 'The King of Kings'. In Manchester, Sir Alex Ferguson anointed him a 'real football aristocrat', while Ronaldinho's nickname for him in Barcelona was 'idolo'.

Yet in his hometown of Helsingborg in Sweden, Henrik Larsson insists he is a normal bloke. 'People are used to seeing me,' he says, having picked up Sportsmail from the railway station.

Indeed they are. Anyone strolling along the seafront will see this five-star striker immortalised in bronze (thankfully, his bears a far greater likeness than that bust of Cristiano Ronaldo).

CS: When Southend first came calling, you texted me asking what do I know about the town. Can you remember my reply?

HL: You answered: "It has an airport." The thing is, even though I played at a certain level, in order to come in to the English system, you have to start somewhere. I'm realistic enough to know I won't be offered a Premier League club, or even a Championship club.

CS: Why not?

HL: Because that's not the way it works. The longer you're out of football, the more difficult it is to get back in. You've forgotten quite quickly. I'm not a guy who does interviews, or television, or, as we say in Swedish, 'natverk' (network), so you meet people who know people who have influence in clubs.

In Sweden, I've been more or less offered jobs. This was the first proper job interview I've had, and we were agreed, 100 per cent. Then Tommy called me, said he was sorry but he had another offer. Obviously I wasn't very pleased.

CS: So why England? You've managed a few clubs here in Sweden. Would you do that again?

HL: In Sweden, no. In Scandinavia, no. As a player, I played at the highest level, and I want to see if it is possible to reach that as a manager. Why England? It's the culture, the love of the game. But I can accept that the owners in the Premier League don't want me as their manager. I can accept that. I'm not afraid. I believe in myself. I don't need to work a day more in my life, but I love the game.

CS: Has coaching changed? The first 11 v 11 session I ever did was under Roy Hodgson at Blackburn in 1997.

HL: Was that the year you lost against Trelleborgs (the Swedish minnows in the UEFA Cup)?

CS: No, but thank you for bringing that up.

HL: Coaching has changed. To be honest, when I played, I didn't listen that much to the coaches. We had game plans, then it was up to me to do my thing.

CS: I suspect it would be difficult for you to take a job in Scotland other than you-know-who?

HL: I would have to agree. I was offered the Celtic job once, around 2015. I was manager of Falkenberg. I had a meeting with the owner and another member of the board, and they wanted me. But I saw some things. I asked them a few questions about different things and I wasn't really pleased with the answers I got.

CS: Southend have lost every league game since Sol Campbell took charge. Maybe you dodged a bullet.

HL: No, because I have a high belief in myself. I'm sure we could have done something there. What I can offer as a manager is I know what it takes. The knowhow; the sacrifices you have to make to play at a high level. Even though it was 15 years ago (when I played), I know what it takes. Football is not a new game.

Larsson joined Celtic for £650,000 in 1997, after three-and-a-half years in Holland with Feyenoord.

The Scottish side were one of only two clubs in for him (the other being Helsingborg). In his first season, Rangers were aiming to be crowned champions for the 10th time in succession and it went down to the last day.

Larsson scored his 19th goal in a 2-0 win over St Johnstone and Celtic finished top. Cheerio to 10 in a row.

HL: We played Dunfermline away in our second-to-last game (a 1-1 draw, meaning the title race would go down to the wire). A grown man came up to me afterwards. He was crying: "You've got to stop them from winning 10." That was the first time it really sunk in, what it meant to Celtic fans.

CS: Then I joined in 2000. Remember the first time we met?

HL: I remember One Devonshire Gardens in Glasgow.

CS: Oh *!

HL: That was hilarious. Me and my wife, Magdalena, were there, you were there with Sam (Chris's wife). You told me: "We can do this together. It shouldn't be a competition. We can play good together."

I remember that. Then you wrestled Sam to the floor so I didn't know if I could take you seriously!

CS: I have to stress this was in a fun and loving way!

HL: Absolutely! But we understood each other. I don't know if you remember me differently but I wasn't nasty like you. I was polite, and tried to get everybody to feel the warmth.

CS: The biggest thing about you, Henrik, was your unselfishness. You won the European Golden Boot in 2001, but most of my goals, you beat three or four men, then I tapped them in.

HL: That's not true. We were a team.

Tired of the weary Glasgow weather, Larsson left Celtic in 2004. He had made it known in newspapers that he planned to leave.

Barcelona signed him and in the 2006 Champions League final against Arsenal, he was on the bench. Barca were losing 1-0 when he came on. With two assists in the 76th and 80th minutes, they won 2-1.

CS: How many clubs came in for you when you were leaving Celtic?

HL: Around 30, but I'd put a great ad in the papers! I'd said I'd be leaving and I'd like to play somewhere warm.

CS: Who came in for you?

HL: I can't remember them all and don't want to tell pork pies, but they were from Spain, France, Italy, even somebody from Saudi Arabia.

CS: Were you surprised Barcelona came in for you?

HL: Very. Frank Rijkaard called me. He said: "I need something different." He needed someone who could come off the bench. I say I'm fine with it but then I told myself: 'I'm going to show him that I will play.'

CS: Your Champions League win came three years after our 2003 UEFA Cup final in Seville. You scored twice but we lost 3-2 to Jose Mourinho's Porto.

HL: You know how sick I was after that. I couldn't even talk about that game for years. I threw away my runners-up medal but somebody had the sense to pick it up for me.

Then to go to another final and I'm sitting on the bench, not able to have an impact… I didn't want to lose that. I would have loved to score against Arsenal but I'd rather not score and win the Champions League than score two against Porto and lose.

After signing for Barcelona, the Spaniards drew Celtic in the Champions League.

Two months after leaving, Larsson is back at Celtic Park, scoring in a 3-1 win. At full time, Sutton, who also played and scored an equaliser, broke his rule of never swapping a shirt after a defeat.

CS: I've still got your shirt.

HL: I've still got yours! I remember I was lying by my pool and Magnus Hedman (the former Celtic goalkeeper) called me. He said: "You can't guess." I said: "Of course I can. We probably drew you guys." And we did. That was too early to go back, given the feelings I had for that club.

CS: Did you feel guilty scoring against Celtic?

HL: No. I didn't feel guilty, but I didn't want to celebrate. The fans started singing in a cheeky way: "Bobo's going to get you." He (Bobo Balde) tried, as well. He still does if you play in a friendly. Bobo doesn't do friendlies. Remember the time he kicked (Alessandro) Del Piero on to the running track at Juventus?

Larsson joined Manchester United on loan in 2007 and they won the title. He made only seven Premier League appearances, so failed to earn a medal.

Yet in his very last game, away at Middlesbrough, Ferguson noted how Larsson 'ran his balls off'. He then received a standing ovation from Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs and Co as he walked into the dressing-room.

CS: Why didn't you go to Manchester United earlier in your career? I happen to know Sir Alex came in for you at least twice before that.

HL: I felt good (at Celtic). We were in Europe, playing in the biggest competitions. I was playing for Sweden at World Cups. To go and maybe make £10,000 more per week but leave something I enjoyed doing behind? No. But I should have stayed in Manchester after that season.

CS: I admire you for turning United down but by the end of your time in Glasgow, you couldn't walk round the city. We went on nights out together and it was like being with John Lennon. It got difficult for you.

HL: It was but at the same time I was happy about it. I had a connection with that club, with the fans. I would never change my seven years in Celtic. That's where I made my name. That's where I became the player that people still talk about today. I would live with that every day of the week.

CS: Hopefully next time we meet, it's in England!

PiotreQ, MickeyyMack and Marty McFly like this.