1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Henrik’s Heroes v Lubo’s Legends Sunday, May 28, kick off 2pm Premier sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Dec 26, 2016.

Discuss Henrik’s Heroes v Lubo’s Legends Sunday, May 28, kick off 2pm Premier sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE’S back for an encore. James McAvoy, Celtic fan and one of the world’s top actors, will lead the line of non-football stars to feature in Celtic FC Foundation’s end of season charity match at Paradise on May 28.

The Glasgow actor has worked with the best in the business, garnering a host of ‘medals’, including Olivier and Golden Globe nominations and London Standard and Bafta best acting awards but says there is something special about a performance at Paradise.

He said: “I have played at Celtic Park just the once. That alone would have been a dream come true but to stand on the pitch again, never mind play there, is a supreme privilege.”

As his career has soared through brilliant performances in films such as Atonement, the X-Men series and Filth, James has remained a dedicated Celtic fan.

He said of Henrik and Lubo: “They came in unheralded and became two of our finest who could have played anywhere and for anyone. They also proved, along with Neil Lennon, to be my favourite players.”

James has worked with directors such as Danny Boyle and M Night Shyamalan, but how does that compare to pulling on the boots beside Henrik and Lubo and going out to face a crowd without a script?

“It's the same as acting, to be honest,” he said. “You could let nerves get the better of you but then you wouldn’t enjoy it.

“As long as you're not trying to look cool or be the best, you can enjoy it for what it is. That is, a guy who cannae play getting to play at Paradise. It’s win, win.”

A graduate of the RSAMD in Glasgow (now the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland), James was born and bred in the city and has enjoyed a lifelong attachment to the club. He celebrates his 38th birthday this month but appreciates and honours the achievements of the Lisbon Lions and the glory of 1967 long before his birth.

“The Lions are a statement of local determination and a monument to local talent,” he said. “Who knows when we'll see that kind of group dynamic again. We'll always be the first British team to win it. It’s a gift we can always be proud of.”

The match is being played in aid of Celtic FC Foundation and James is a dedicated supporter of its work.

He said: “It is fundamental to the founding and continuing legacy of a club started with a charitable purpose. It’s part of the club’s DNA and should grow and grow in my opinion.”

The silver-screen Bhoy will feature alongside Celtic fans and fellow actors Martin Compston, Ross McCall, Gianni Capaldi, Gerard Miller and Tony Curran.

Line of Duty star, Martin Compston, is excited about the prospect of a Paradise return. He said: “I pinch myself. Every time you play there, afterwards you feel it is not real. One of the great moments came after the Stan Petrov game. Watching and hearing You’ll Never Walk Alone that day and feeling part of that is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.”

Port Glasgow Bhoy, Ross McCall has worked with stars such as Bob Hoskins, Michael Caine and Jeremy Irons but he knows the script when it comes to following Celtic and is looking forward to being on the pitch with Henrik and Lubo. He added: “They are so ingrained in Celtic's history, it's impossible to pick just one moment that stands out. Undoubtedly they are two of our finest players to ever pull on the Hoops.”

Gianni Capaldi is not only looking forward to pulling on the Hoops and impressing his baby daughter, Trinity Grace, but he’s also proud to be supporting the work of Celtic FC Foundation. He said: “From sporting dinners, charity walks, football games, golf days out, you name it, they're trying their best to raise awareness and funds to ease people's suffering in life. It makes you feel very, very proud as a supporter of Celtic Football Club to know about the work Celtic FC Foundation do.”

Gerard Miller, who has starred in Macbeth and River City, has recently spent time supporting a host of young people through Celtic FC Foundation’s employability projects and can’t wait for his Paradise debut: He said: “The biggest star I have worked with is Michael Fassbender on Macbeth and that was an amazing experience. But for me playing at Celtic Park will be a dream come true and I can't explain how much it will mean.”

The match will see the return of Henrik Larsson and Lubo Moravcik and to date an additional 18 former Celtic players including Stiliyan Petrov, Neil Lennon, John Hartson and - most recently - Artur Boruc have already been confirmed.

More than 53,000 tickets have been snapped up with the Foundation set to invest the proceeds into local projects and dementia projects as well as building 67 kitchens across the third world in partnership with Mary’s Meals.

Tony Hamilton, Celtic FC Foundation’s Chief Executive, added: “The Celtic supporters have responded magnificently and to be so close to a capacity 60,000 crowd with more than a month to go is a credit to all of them.

“The former players have been tremendous too and for stars from other walks of life, who are genuine Celtic supporters, to want to play in this match is great news for Celtic FC Foundation and for the projects we’re about to work on with the money we raise."

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Updated names announced

3. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Ugh one of my mates is on that team sheet (Gerry ) jammy git!!!

Lupis likes this.
  4. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    53,000 tickets already sold, stunning

5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think I'm gonna have to make a weekend of this now

Take the mrs to a Tim shop in Glasgow for the cup final the day before :36:

6. The Ghirl Friday

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, Let the People Sing
    I heard on the radio that they will be having an open top bus celebration on London Road before the game. I'm assuming it will be for the lions but if we win the treble then there might be some of the first team and the trophies as well

7. TheHappyLoss

Does it go through Brigton ?

8. James Gold Member Gold Member

Announce Callum Mcgregor

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE never felt he was walking through the storm, wind or rain. “The people are the sun in Glasgow,” said Momo Sylla who is returning to a hopefully bright Paradise on May 28 to play in the Henrik’s Heroes v Lubo’s Legends match in aid of Celtic FC Foundation.

Momo, who was born in the Ivory Coast, brought up in Paris and played international football for Guinea, is in no doubt about the warmest place on the planet.

“I run several businesses that are based in Africa,” said the 40-year-old. “I travel between Africa and Glasgow. When I'm in Africa I do miss Glasgow. I miss the rain and the cold as it is too hot in Africa. The people are the sun in Glasgow.

“You can travel to all of these sunny places in the world but the people can be unpleasant. Because of the people, Glasgow has the best weather in the world. When I was playing at Celtic I never missed Paris or Africa.”

Momo joined Celtic from St Johnstone in 2001, leaving for Leicester City four years later. He won a league title but has no doubts about the highlight of his time at the club.

“The road to Seville!” he says. “The atmosphere in the run up to the UEFA Cup final was amazing. The camaraderie between the players and the support from the fans is something I will never forget.”

He is delighted to be back on the same pitch as Larsson and Moravcik. He said: “They are both magicians. Their talent was astounding and they were always so professional. It was a pleasure and an honour to be in the dressing room with them. I learned a lot from them, both on and off the park. I have the greatest of respect for them.”

He is also delighted that the Lisbon Lions will be saluted.

“My Clarky!” he said of the former kit manager and hero of 1967. “John Clark was a familiar face at Celtic Park. He is a very nice and genuine guy. It was a pleasure to see him every day at the ground. He accomplished an amazing achievement that most footballers can only dream of.”

He is particularly pleased that the proceeds of the match will go to Celtic FC Foundation and added: “Charity is always important. It is the foundation of Celtic and I think it will always be a huge part of what Celtic stands for.

“It is because of the charity that we are all brought together for these special matches.”

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Updated names announced

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JACKI’S back. Dariusz ‘Jacki’ Dziekanowski has confirmed he will return to Celtic Park to play in the Henrik’s Heroes v Lubo’s Legends match in aid of Celtic FC Foundation on May 28.

The Polish striker wrote himself into the club’s record books when he scored four goals against Partizan Belgrade in a European Cup-Winners’ Cup tie in 1989.

However, the 5-4 victory contributed to a 6-6 aggregate score and the Hoops went out on away goal. It was a dramatic night which was hard on the supporters and, especially the four-goal striker.

He said: “It was a great night for me in one way in that I scored four goals but we lost the tie on away goals. We didn’t get through to the next round.

“So one moment you are happy but the next moment you are not. When the ref blew the final whistle, I was definitely not happy. You think you have done something special but it has meant nothing.”

Jacki, though, is prepared for a brighter day on May 28. He added: “The Celtic fans were great and I always appreciated them. I loved it when they were singing. What a noise. My memories of Glasgow always centre on the atmosphere of the matches and the friendliness of the people.”

The Pole was last in Glasgow three years ago when he toured Celtic Park and he was astonished at the difference in the ground since he played here.

He said: “It is an amazing stadium and it was great to see the way it has changed.

“I’m looking forward to playing on that pitch but I may have what we Poles call soft legs! I will practice some good tricks and try to come up with a great goal. I cannot promise four!”

Now 54, Jacki is a football commentator, analyst and columnist in Warsaw and has been an assistant to the national team.

He is delighted that the Lisbon Lions will be saluted on the day. He said: “It is a remarkable achievement. They won the cup that all players dream of. They are rightly legends.”

He is also pleased that the proceeds of the match will go to Celtic FC Foundation. “It is fantastic that charity is such a big part of the club,” he said.

“It is important to realise that players are not just stars but can do things for people. We are lucky as players.

“When we are young we achieve so much in terms of fame and money. We are lucky to play football. But it is wonderful to use that to help other people. We respect the people that are not as fortunate as us.”

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Updated the list with Dariusz ‘Jacki’ Dziekanowski announced.

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yaaaassssss!!!

Dziekanowski!!!

That's * class :ynwacelti

14. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    @Celticfc Islam Feruz the latest name to sign up for the #henriksheroes #luboslegends game

Marty McFly likes this.
  15. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    :brendy:

16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Literally only a handful of tickets left for this.

Cannot wait :ynwacelti

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Marty McFly likes this.
  18. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Left it a bit late to look for tickets :54: anyone reckon some of the Dublin CSCs will have tickets ?

19. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Celtic spares on twitter will have a shitload going nearer the time, season ticket holders could buy up a lot of tickets for themselves so i would imagine alot would have bought 4 or 5 not knowing who would take them.

M.E.T.H.O.D MAN likes this.
  20. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

Hopefully that's the case, If anyone on here has some extras pm me :84: