1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hatem Abd Elhamed

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 24, 2019.

Discuss Hatem Abd Elhamed in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Always find myself groaning about underwhelming signings when we are linked, then when they are announced I’m quite happy. Welcome Hatem lad.

2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Welcome :50:

Noo gonny sign a proper * right back !

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Admittedly I'm not enamoured by this signing and have my doubts but Welcome Hatem! Hope you prove me wrong.

5. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome to Celtic. Now go and fill the jersey.

6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    This guy is exactly what we need. :50:

More deadwood. :67:

Joking, hope he is a success. :yeah:

Artorias likes this.
  7. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Welcome. Think he'll prove to be a good squad player.

8. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Hopefully with him and big Jullien we may score the odd goal from corners and free kicks.

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Convinced myself he’s the answer to our RB situation, despite pretty much everything pointing to the contrary.

Happy days.

Jo-Jo-Buffon likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hatem Abd Elhamed becomes Celtic’s 4th signing of the Summer. And in some ways, the most intriguing.

Celtic transfers always seem to be long drawn out affairs, and the 28 year-olds, with 1 International Cap for Israel, was no exception.

What can Celtic expect from him?

Background
    The following article is a useful primer, from Sports Rabbi.

Elhamed has not had the most conventional of careers and at 28 has appeared in only 188 matches. It is claimed he only took up the game at aged 16.

He went to Belgium at a very early age (19) and this did not work out. He found regular football back at the same club Celtic signed Ambrose from – FC Ashdod. Impressing there looked to have won him a contract at Dinamo Bucharest. Despite an encouraging spell, they did not take up that option. Instead, he was transferred to the same club Lustig has just joined – KAA Gent.

Once again there was no success in Belgium and he was loaned back to FC Ashdod. Finally, a transfer to Hapoel Be’er Sheva has seen the return of form and international recognition – albeit a brief substitute appearance – on for our own Bitton!

Playing Style
    The Sports Rabbi article describes him thus:

“Elhamed is tall (1.86 Meters) which helps him with his heading ability, perhaps one of the best in Israel, as he won 61 out of 84 aerial battles this past season. Elhamed was one of the fastest defenders in the Israeli league, is a decent passer, and an excellent tackler, as he won 75 tackles out of the 108 he attempted.”

Other articles appearing recently have also highlighted his pace.

Position
    With the search for a right back exercising many Celtic fans’ minds, the fact Elhamed has appeared in that position has led to conjecture he may be one of the two right backs Lennon claims to be after.

The good news (in my opinion) is that I cannot see this is the case.

If you look at his appearance data for current club Hapoel Be’er Sheva, his appearances break down as follows:

[​IMG]

He is a right back in the same sense Ajer or Hendry are. That is, capable of standing in that position but not his primary role.

He is more likely to be an occasional cover for Brown as a defensive midfielder.

He currently plays in the number 44 shirt but has previously worn 4 and 25. Both those are taken and 44 was worn by Church last season.

Performance Data
    As he does not play in one of the major European leagues, performance data is scarce.

At the most basic level, his 188 appearances have seen him play 13,897 minutes, the equivalent of 154 full 90 minutes.

In this time, he has scored 8 goals and is credited with 4 assists. This is roughly similar to Simunovic’s scoring contribution rate (0.07 goals and assists per 90m).

With 38 Yellow Cards and 3 reds he averages 0.26 cards per 90m. This would put him up with the most penalised Celt of recent time – Sviatchenko.

Data is available for the 2017/18 Europa League campaign from WhoScored?. Some highlights:

[​IMG]

It is very difficult to make comparisons between leagues. This data was from an unsuccessful Europa League campaign, i.e. in a struggling team. They are very similar numbers for Celtic central defenders so some cautions optimism from a very small sample (470 minutes).

Experience
    As we have seen, despite his age, he is not very experienced in terms of matches played.

Elhamed has 1 Champions League qualifier and 6 Europa League ties to his name. Hapoel Be’er Sheva came 4th in a group with FC Lugano, Viktoria Plzen and Steaua Bucharest, recording 1 win.

He was kept out of this seasons Europa League qualifying win over Laci in anticipation of this move.

As mentioned, he won his first Israeli cap in June 2019 versus Poland playing 8 minutes.

Injuries
    You are not a Celtic defender if you are not perpetually injured. The good news is that he has missed 9 games with an abdominal strain in 2017/18 and 4 games last season with a head injury. But that is it.

Summary
    Lennon claimed to want five starters this summer. Connell is a project whilst Bolingoli and Jullien make up two of the five.

In my opinion, Elhamed is the 4th centre back and will be behind Ajer, Jullien and Simunovic initially. He gives the squad depth and versatility being able to step into defensive midfield and, if required, right back. I wouldn’t count him as one of Lennon’s five starters. Three to go then.

Elhamed appears to be a late-bloomer and someone driven by personal tragedy. This will be the biggest move of his career given his age.

http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/abd-elhamed-adds-utility/

Lilac Wine and Sentinel like this.
  11. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Weclome

12. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Welcome. Hopefully this is CB cover, mostly.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome.

14. scootz

Welcome to the best club in the world ya soup-taking *!

:56:

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome now sign a first choice right back and don't be *

Artorias likes this.
  16. RockhardBoss

Good to see a RB arrive. Hope he does well.:50:

17. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Welcome to Celtic!, don't know anything about him but hope he takes his chance with us and turns out to be a great buy. Looking forward to seeing him in action. :50:

18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    See the OP, the official Club tweet is saying "Right-back... Announced [​IMG]"
    Hopefully they are just covering their arses in case they don't manage to bring in an actual RB.

19. DoTheBroony

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kristoffer Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roll of Honour, BBB
    2F075783-5434-4678-800A-368AA678915B.png
    Doubtful.

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is the * problem! Covering their arses?! Get a qualified RB in, ya stingy CEO cancer!