Hampden or Murrayfield

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by Lewis1967, Aug 28, 2018.

Discuss Hampden or Murrayfield in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

?

Home of Scottish Football

1. Hampden

2. Murrayfield

3. Othe, please specify

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Broony telling it like it is....

Former Scotland captain Scott Brown has slammed the Scottish FA’s decision to remain at Hampden as the Celtic skipper branded it “possibly one of the worst stadiums” for atmosphere.

Scottish football’s governing body confirmed on Tuesday that they will stay at Hampden beyond its current lease period, and will buy the arena from current owners Queen’s Park in 2020, rather than relocate to Murrayfield in Edinburgh.

But Brown, who won 55 caps for Scotland and skippered the side before hanging up his international boots, told STV that Hampden was the “wrong stadium for a football match”.

Fewer than 17,500 attended Scotland’s UEFA Nations League opener against Albania on Monday night, leaving plenty of gaps in the 52,000-capacity stadium.

Brown said: “Hampden is possibly one of the worst stadiums I have played in for atmosphere.

“For Scotland, I think we should be playing at Celtic Park, Ibrox, then the smaller games - where you only get 17,000 - should be at Hibs and Hearts.

2. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

If Haughey hadn't intervened where was the 2.5 million shortfall in valuation coming from?

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Campbell Ogilvie's EBT

4. PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Well snaffled on whisky and Thai ladyboys.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  5. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    Seems a crazy decision to me. Hampden has far more cons than pros and Murrayfield far more pros than cons

Hampden: difficult to get to, in the middle of a housing estate, roads not equipped for the influx of people alongside non existent alternative travel arrangements, terrible atmosphere and Matchday experience

Murrayfield: fantastic travel infrastructure (train, tram, park and ride, near the airport) for everyone, Edinburgh much better equipped to deal with influx of people, miles better Matchday experience and choice in terms of food and drink in and around stadium, bigger stadium, better atmosphere, it’s just a far nicer place generally both in and outside the stadium

I can’t see the argument for Hampden at all other than a nostalgia one

Seán Mac D likes this.
  6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Believe its money and events. they will now hold more concerts and exhibitions and ovb Haughley will get money back through it

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Even gigs are honking at Hampden.

I seen Red Hot Chilli Peppers there about 10 years ago and it was easily the worst time I've seen them. All the noise seems to go up the way which is probably down it's design.

Unless it was an artist or band that I was dying to see, I'd patch any gig I seen was being held there.

littlekennie, Pablo87 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Look at England last night, they have a magnificent stadium but still see that a friendly is more suited to a smaller stadium. Plus it lets fans from other parts of the country go to games that they might not have been able to attend in London. We should be using our club sides stadiums on a game to game basis and got Hampden to *.

9. freitassen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama, Larsson, Lustig, Boruc
    Murrayfield is even bigger and Hampden is already too big for the Scottish National Team. I have no idea how 15k more empty seats would improve the atmosphere.

10. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    S.F.A are a shambles still, a remaining institution moving with masons orangeman and jobs for the boys. You only need to look at the National teams progression or the level of player the country has produced over the last 25 years. Embarrassing!!

The rebuild of the old Hampden should have been a modern showpiece, it's one of the most historic football stadiums in the world. Think the new Wembley or the Welsh National stadium!! Sickening what they did to that ground it's now tiny and completely soulless.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  11. Tim-Time 1888 Winner UEFA Champs League Last 16 prediction comp Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

A cynic might wonder if this was the reason, allowing a last ditch plea/beg/get on board, for the announcement being postponed from a few weeks back .. :fear:

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

13. DamianWayneCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Year that Biffy Clyro supported them? Was at that one, RHCP were awful, I put it down to the band, but glad to hear you reckon its the worse youve seen them and put it down to the arena

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, that's the one mate.

I seen them before that at T in the Park and Wembley and both times they were class. I put it down to Hampden, all the noise seems to go up the way which is probably why the atmosphere is * for most games.