1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greyhound Racing....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ScouseHoops, Apr 16, 2017.

Discuss Greyhound Racing.... in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    :)Anyone have a bet on the Dogs? As an avid horse racing fan I usually avoided it because I always felt it was a bit dodgy but the more I come to understand the Dogs, the more interesting it seems. It definitely seems harder to win money/more unpredictable but there seems better value. Plus going Dog tracks is cheaper. My local is Belle Vue near Salford, about 40mins away. Does Scotland have a track? Sure Shawfields has cropped back up again, how good it is up there I do not know.

Anyway, no racing today in the UK Dogs wise as its Sunday, but the favourites antepost for the Greyhound Derby on Bet365 can be seen HERE .

Any tips you have for fellow hoops on your average day at Monmore, Hove or Belle Vue or Wimbledon or Towcester - stick them in this thread :50:

Also, anyone ever thought of owning a Greyhound and getting it trained and entered in races? Be AWESOME in the near future, to get together a TalkCeltic members 'BoysOf67' Greyhound syndicate to take a Greyhound racing with a trainer. Could call the Dog after Billy McNeil, Henrik or 'Tommy Burns' :celt_2: :ynwacelti

2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd be interested but it would have to be done right.
    Call it Paradise Legend.

Sent from my SM-J100H using Tapatalk

ScouseHoops likes this.
  3. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Brilliant. As I say I always research/price up stuff properly, especially where the care and welfare of an animal is concerned and the responsibilities of other syndicate members. If we could sort something where by say x20 people paid 50 quid for a 1000 quid Dog and (split) per month the training costs were 20 quid each (my pound sign on this PC is goosed) with a trainer who had clear ability/care for the animal.......that'd be about right wouldn't it?

Good name btw :D

4. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That's about right regarding the price.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  6. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    :50: Obviously they would be the prices....in an ideal world. Its been managed before. But I've ALWAYS wanted to do this and occasionally daydream looking at classic winning trainer Kevin Ryan Horses for sale at 30k on his website (CLICK HERE):rofl: But Greyhounds are far cheaper. A breakdown of the costs of buying/training a Dog for (example) attached TOWCESTER trainers can be found HERE in this excellent guide @Drakhan . The only * thing is racing up in Scotland for Dogs doesn't seem to be on the radar at the moment whilst Towcester has regular meetings and also has 2 time Derby winning trainer Mark Wallis attached to the track http://www.markwallisgreyhounds.co.uk/ The Dogs he has for sale are LISTED HERE although obviously we would want to NAME OUR OWN.

The price as you say mate is key. Name sounds a good un. Dream Alliance won the Welsh National at Chepstow with its owners who where members of a local miners welfare club and some supermarket workers paying 10 quid per week to getting it trained :eek1::dancing: SEE BELOW(FILM PREVIEW)

7. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Yeah in some cases mate its (fairly) 'cheap' to train it......in comparison to 15k p/a for horses in training. The puzzle/potentially more expensive side of it is buying a Dog. Pups are more cheaper aren't they?

Entering dogs in races is like 35 quid a pop according to someone I spoke to today who's owned a Dog before. They tend to race quite often and up till 4 years old. As I say we could have fun with it and in a reasonably sized syndicate composed of fellow Hoops with an appropriate name (Paradise Legend) most could lump in on the fun.

Its just buying that Dog and caring for it before its put in Trainers Kennels and making sure once its retired it is rehomed appropriately as the British Board of Greyhound Racing require.

But until I'm a teacher I'll settle for this. Otherwise I'll have to carry on going mad oogling racehorses I could never afford for 30k!

Drakhan likes this.
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Need to wait until next Dog racing season (whenever that is) as looking for job but once i have that then it should be no problem with paying the initial £50 if 20 want to sign up.
    Then £50 per month seems reasonable depending on what those costs include and what they don't.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Get the colours it would wear in Emerald Green with White and Gold trim.
    Either Number 7 or 67 if that's allowed.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  10. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Hahahaha I thought it was wishful thinking lashing my little aspiration at the bottom of this post but gladly it seems I was wrong. :57: Reckon we could get the 20 @Drakhan ? Only just let my gambling side out on this forum haha after being marooned with @TonyStarkCSC and @Bunk Moreland (quite gladly i might add) in the gaming section.

Good question about when the season is, Dog racing seems to come and go. We would need to decide (democratically/collectively obviously) where to 'base' it as unless its GROUP class graded races it would run at the same track. Being Hoops fans obviously most people are going to be up in Scotland, but where is not only a local track but a GOOD track to base it? Does Newcastle/Carlisle/Glasgow have Greyhound racing/tracks, especially ones you can watch on the TV?

Also, if we got the 20, would we buy the Dog BEFORE getting the 20 and basically say who wants to pay the 50 JOINING FEE (the cost of the dog split) for the Celtic Fans syndicate then obviously split the training costs monthly via trust account between the 20.......

11. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Really sorry to be a party pooper, but i detest greyhound racing now. I didnt used to, as i loved betting on it, and loved watching it....but i have bit by bit become aware of the down side to the 'sport'.

It is a horrid sport, run by, paid for and promoted by the bookies. They own all the big tracks and have absolutely zero interest in the welfare of the dogs.

Honestly mate, at this time of night , i have little energy, but suffice to say, for every good dog on the track, 10 are killed before their natural life ends. It is a disgusting sport. The vast majority of dogs not able to make it on the track, 'disappear'. Im not saying this doesnt happen in horse racing...as it does, but it is far less likely, given the modern day scrutiny and money invloved in it.

I despise it. It is beyond corrupt and poisonous.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Sunderland has a track.
    Don't really know much about it although years ago i put a couple of bets on (lost).
    As for buying dog first or getting the 20.
    I would go for getting the 20 people in first otherwise we could be left the cost of buying a £1000+ dog plus the other costs associated with that.
    Can't afford that.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  13. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    I can see it now @Drakhan 'Racing Manager of the Boys0f67 Sydnicate based at Dalmarnock' shouting at the Clerk of the Course 'Its going from Traaaaaaaap 7 parlllllllllll' :giggle2:

Can you pick the silks in Greyhound racing or is that just Horses? I know on the BHA website you can create your own......
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resource-centre/ownership/design-your-own-silks/

But the first priority is the BEST trainer within reasonable proximity to most people and not too expensive, and the best PUP (it'd have to be a pup to name it after Celtic themed names) we could get with good prize money prospects at an affordable prize e.g. 1,000 between 20.

I live in a flat though and I'm a student, living in a top floor council flat. So I cant have a dog on premises unfortunately as its one bedroom, to big for a Greyhound. Before trainers kennels you'd need someone who KNOWS DOGS and caring for them to take it for walkies and home it and that.

14. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Deffo, thats about right. Just checked Sunderland is on TV, I THINK.........

They also have an attached trainer with the surname 'Macari' which is very Celtic like. See below
    http://www.sunderlanddogs.com/racing-information/

How much is the train/does juice cost down from Glasgow to Sunderland? Just so it all stays affordable. Looks a decent crac/track like.

15. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Each to their own. As I say I've questioned its corruption in the past and stayed away from betting on it but as @Drakhan and myself have said, under no circumstances do we support cruelty to animals and would always put the Dogs welfare first. Here's another perspective.

16. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Before Walthamstow track got shut which decimated a community and its way of life, you cant say these owners do not care for their dogs? @mygirlmaria

17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I'll make more of an effort to digest and reply when im sober and in more of a sober mood mate. :-/

ScouseHoops likes this.
  18. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Had a few wins on the dogs today :D another two just touched off.

19. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    great idea

20. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Used to work at Shawfield, definitely some edgy people involved with the industry. Clever ways owners and trainers can manipulate the outcomes, I still have a punt anyway coz it’s not flat out rigged.

Won’t be there in 15 years, average repeat customer age is 65