1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Greta Thunberg

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Sep 30, 2019.

Discuss Greta Thunberg in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

Cynically I think part of the reason she's getting attention is because of her age and profile and what she can do for others not what she is actually saying.

Peej likes this.
  2. Jeremie Frimpong

The first part might be true, but I am sure that people with autism can still think independently, be well informed and have unshakeable convictions. She speaks the truth, and she appears to be genuinely passionate about her cause. More power to her.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I’m uneasy about her personally, if that’s the right way of putting it. Nothing contrived or vindictive, I just naturally feel (without having any real knowledge) as if she’s being manipulated and I don’t think it’s right.

4. ddub11

Never said there was anything wrong with it,she,s just not someone id listen to and id rather take the word of a scientist/professor who has years of study behind him than some kid who means well.

StevieBhoooy! likes this.
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

The reason people are taking note is because literally millions of young people across the world are engaged with this movement. It is not going away any time soon.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  6. ddub11

Ye i can see that happening to, someone will latch onto her and she will lose all credibility.

7. StevieBhoooy!

This is what you call ‘passing the buck’ carbon footprint style...

F17587BA-C1D1-4F2D-9639-6E1340DA3DB5.jpeg

8. Jeremie Frimpong

Like the 700 scientists in Germany who backed the kids when a politician tried to dismiss them as well intentioned but naïve?

https://m.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/fr...scher-unterstuetzen-schulstreik/24090044.html

Correction: in the end, over 26,000 scientists backed them.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/10/the-kids-are-taking-charge-of-climate-change/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Callum McGregor and Sean Daleer like this.
  9. Maestro 08

I think she is being manipulated and it has the feel of her being pushed forward by those with their own motives. It lacks credibility for me but if she rallies youngsters into positive change then fair do's.

Peej likes this.
  10. Maestro 08

Exactly what I mean just comes across as a stunt. Getting manipulated something awful.

11. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

Well we need the fact and only fact, consistent with objective reality and can be proven to be true with evidence

12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    100%. Most of us have had our chance putting things right and didn’t quite pull it off. The whole awareness is aimed at our kids and their generation to make the planet a better and healthier place to live. The young kids now are very aware and through the power of internet and social media they are very informed and politically astute. A group of 16 year olds could start a world protest with other kids in 48 hours. This is a totally new way of thinking and look how passionate and supportive the people in Hong Kong are with their young idealists. Worlds changing faster than some at the top would like and I just think everything you can do be it small or large, effort and action will help the future generations to appreciate what we all took for granted.

13. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yeah alot of people with autism can think independently etc. But there's a video of her in the backround when Trump enters a room and she starts pulling this weird, angry, cringey face. Which makes me think she doesn't have a great sense of personal awareness, isn't 100% there and in turn is just being manipulated. But as I said, agree with the message and it's good people are taking notice to climate change.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We are in a worse place than I thought when ridiculing and trying to discredit kids concerned about the state of the planet becomes acceptable.

Not talking about anyone on here, more world leaders and anti climate change groups.

Peej likes this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Everybody pulls that face when that cockwomble enters a room.

16. ddub11

Kids are in school learning?i would say anything they have learned about climate change/Global warming(why did they change it?)is from listening to or reading things that came from the scientists/professors who have studied it for years.

I know they mean well but as far i can see their only repeating what we have heard from people who are qualified on the subject.
    And i would think scientists would back them as they are just repeating what the scientist have been saying for years.

17. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

packybhoy likes this.
  18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    So true.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

I am sure that both proponents and detractors of the movement will look to exploit her; it is inevitable, sadly.

The media in this country seem to have portrayed this as Greta Thunberg versus the world (discredit her, discredit the movement), when the movement involves millions of young people, and is completely decentralised and independent of political parties, trade unions, etc.

The kids are organising themselves; I think that is * brilliant. They are not all being manipulated.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm not sure what your point is?

Because it's been said many times before it doesn't need said anymore?