1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Golfers

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by cas79, Sep 10, 2017.

Discuss Golfers in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Any golfers on the site, iv just started playing quite a lot this year played a few times in the past but never really held score or play enough to improve just a hit about with friends, this year I'm getting into it in a big way and really enjoying it and steadily improving form 122 down to 106 broke 100 a couple of times in there to

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

_DannyBhoy_, Vic Vega and Marty McFly like this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Alright mate! Good stuff.

I play and since giving up the football last season have been out twice a week through the summer. Never had my handicap officially done but it's around 18 I reckon. Really enjoy seeing the improvement to my game over these couple of months. Pretty spoiled with the courses on my doorstep here in Carnoustie.

Also, pick up my new clubs this week hopefully, massive investment but will definitely be worth it

Vic Vega and cas79 like this.
  3. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Nice place to be a golfer, im in Glasgow and there are a good few courses around me (which is good for transport links I don't drive) I'm trying to get out twice a week weather permitting or I'll go to the range, I like to see the improvements too I got a game gold device (highly recommend) and I can now see were I need to improve, I just renewed all my stuff but I bought without testing and has now cost me a full set of woods that I cant play a very expensive mistake

4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ouch, that is a pricey mistake, should be able to trade-in what you bought though.

It's amazing how quickly you can improve if you just keep getting out or head to the range. Even the slightest of changes can help, I tweaked my grip a while back and now hit a decent draw without even thinking about it. Also, the guys I play with are all pretty good and give me pointers and reminders as we go round, really useful :50:

cas79 likes this.
  5. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Yeah it was I traded the driver in for a putter £349 m2 driver 3weeks old they gave me £150 back I was raging, after spending £1600 in there shop aswel.
    I changed my grip, stance, everything and now hitting a bit more constant, I'm also seeing the course in a whole different light things like laying up playing your lies rather than distances still learning tho, I was playing with friends that play off 4-12 but there with clubs and play on sat so I'm playing more alone these days but learning quicker as less people telling me what to do and me not felling like I'm holding them back I do prefer a group so I find my lost balls easier

Marty McFly likes this.
  6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm getting a full set of M2's, driver, 3w, rescue and irons, all for around £700. My uncle is a pro at a course and gets around 50 ex-hire sets to sell on, should be ready in the next week or so. Some of them have maybe only played a few rounds.

Stick at it mate, as practice and consistency is key. My old man plays really conservatively and always scores ok, shows me up sometimes when I'm trying to melt it 250 yards and end up out of bounds! :56:

cas79 likes this.
  7. Vic Vega

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Lambert
    I'm the same as Marty, gave up football this summer and playing golf as much as a can now.

Really enjoy it. After struggling to break 100 for a while I usually hit in the mid/high 90s at my local course. Still throw in a stinker well over 100 every now and then though. Trying to be consistent is the hardest part for me.

Going for lessons is a massive help, always remember Ballesteros saying an amatuer golfers biggest mistake was not going for regular coaching.

Been trying to get an outing every other month as well, played Spey Valley up Aviemore at the end of July and it was outstanding. Easily the best course I've played.

cas79 and Marty McFly like this.
  8. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Thats a good price keep me in mind if any good deals like that come up , i went for speed blades as there a little more forgiving than the psi, m2 irons and they had good reviews for a higher handicap, I now know its all about short game and putting is absolute key to lowering you score but when you scream a drive you have a big smile until your next bad shot lol

Consistency is my big flaw topping the ball on a fast iron swing is an issue, I had a lesson 2/3 weeks ago and after it I broke 100 3 times then a 106 iv got another on course lesson on wed then a indoor one on the 21st so I should improve I bit,
    Iv not played any good courses really I'm going to start looking to do that a bit more, my local is a bog most times

Marty McFly likes this.
  9. Vic Vega

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Lambert
    It's amazing how much a lesson can improve your game and it's usually only something daft that he tweaks that makes a difference.

Last time I went he took a video of me hitting some shots and we looked back, I was going up on my tip-toes when I hit the ball. He gave me a few things to practice and stop this and I can see a difference in ball striking already.

I've never been for an on course lesson right enough, sounds good.

cas79 and Marty McFly like this.
  10. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Aye was good to see back how you swing in slow motion (I make some weird faces lol) I was moving to my right on my back swing and flicking my wrist on impact within 10mins i was swinging differently in the lines and striking the ball with some force, I got the course lesson through Groupon, Bishopbriggs range 120mins indoor, 50balls on the range and 9 holes on the course £19

11. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Absolutely spot on about lessons.

When I was a kid (aged about 16 or 17), I was a struggling 13 handicapper with a big slice. I got a course of 6 lessons paid for by the Golf Foundation, the Pro made a minor change to my grip, and instantly the slice disappeared; and within 4 months I was winning competitions, off low single figures, and playing for my County.

12. Vic Vega

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Lambert
    Brilliant mate.

It really is amazing how such a minor adjustment can make a massive difference.

Coming into winter I'm going to try take a load of lessons while the weather is poor and hopefully try and get more consistent with my game.

13. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    For me, not only did my slice disappear (which meant I kept it on the fairway) but the lack of a slice added 30 yards to my drives, 20 yards to my long irons etc etc.

So instead of say trying to hit the green with a 4 iron from the rough, I was hitting an 8 iron from the middle of the fairway. the whole thing improved exponentially. Just by shortening my left thumb and showing one more knuckle.

Get lessons, these Pros really know what they're doing.

14. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Trying to get back into the golf again. I always struggle when having a spell of not playing, like everyone does. Got a few lessons a while back and was straight away hitting the ball better than I ever have. But after a long spell of not playing I went to the driving range recently and was back to the old bad habits.

Going to get another few lessons and get back into it regularly so I don't lose progress.

15. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Played since a kid on nearest field but not much recently, don't know any other golfers round here, though that's a poor excuse

16. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    when I played regularly I got my handicap down to 14 , kinda fell away a bit and breaking 2 ribs in aug has put paid to any more this year ... always next year .

17. TimFloyd Gold Member

Wish I had the free time to take it up, used to play a lot when I was younger.

Went for a couple of lessons a few years back, it's amazing how such little tweaks can improve your swing.

18. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I hit a 66 the other day:84:

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Picked up my new clubs last night and had these bad bhoy grips added. Can't wait to get out after work for a few holes!

IMG_1873.jpg

20. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Nice grips, I just bought a new putter a couple of weeks back I seem to be playing the same with it though, over the past month iv be trying to get up as much as possible but weather has been a pain although i am seeing the improvements after the lessons, Im still reverting back to my old style a lot, I'll keep up with the lessons and hopefully I will keep improving