1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gigi Buffon - Legend

Discussion in 'World Football' started by henriks tongue, May 20, 2018.

Discuss Gigi Buffon - Legend in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seosamh Máirtín

While Gigi began his career at Parma, he will forever be remembered for his time at Juve, having stayed there for the best part of two decades in which he cemented himself as arguably the finest ever in his position. Ideally, he should've retired at the end of the last season and while he wouldn't have been a 'one club' man, that is still the impression a lot of fans would have given his loyalty to the club through thick and thin.

Instead he's turned mercenary and decided to take tainted money in one or two more years, in which in his limited prowess he has been tasked with the objective to win the CL which will never happen in Paris, at least not while he has at the club. There are many within Italian football that were questioning him even played the last couple of season's at Juve and how through status alone he has blocked the progress of the club in finding an ideal replacement to inherit his gloves.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If he wins the Champions League, entirely possible and clearly his aim, he will have cemented himself as the greatest.

His rationale is sound and there is no one that can tell me he can’t given where Liverpool got to and who they had between the sticks whilst doing so.

Lilac Wine and Liam Scales like this.
  3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t get how that taints what he has done in his career at all mate.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Buffon was still absolutely top class in his last couple of years at Juventus. He was voted into various team of the years in 2016 and 2017, voted best goalkeeper in Europe in those years as well. In addition to being voted Serie A footballer of the year 2016/17.

He left in order to let Juve look to the future and go with a younger ‘keeper. Last year he sat out a number of games as Szczesny was brought in to rotate/replace him. They also signed Perin from Genoa, who is a very good ‘keeper.

5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Only reason I don't understand 'tainted with Suadi Money' is how many billionaires in the world have an untainted bank account, least the ones we know about?

I didn't manage to see the Russian 'Black Cat' Lev Yashin but he's the only keeper to win the Balon so he must've been something special.

I have nothing but love, respect and admiration for Buffon though.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Seosamh Máirtín

PSG will not win the CL, at least not this season. They will require investment to do it next season. They don't have any midfielders, for starters. They're very top heavy. They're currently playing Marquinhos as a CM and he's their best defender...

Natural consequence when your club tries to live beyond it's means and goes for stars over workers. Only hope they have is Mbappe...

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The bookies have them joint 3rd favourite in front of the current Holders.

They have 2 of the best midfielders in the competition in Veratti and Rabiot. What nonsense are you coming away with?

jj81 likes this.
  8. Seosamh Máirtín

Start watching them before accusing people of speaking nonsense. And away with your bookies pish. Veratti isn't even playing. How many games Rabiot played this season? You wanna focus on odds, odds are he's leaving. Odds are pish, please don't.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We shall see.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Veratti is unequestionably one of the best midfielders in the world, even if injured just now and the transfer window is shut for Rabiot. Angel di Maria can be fantastic, Cavani is one of the best strikers in the world, Neymar is different level as well.

Thiago Silva is still an amazing defender, as is Alves even if he is past his best. Meunier, Kurzawa, Marquinhos. Not even mentioning the likes of Draxler who’s a cracking player as well.

The suggestion that they are only Kylian Mbappe is a bit mental.

11. jj81

I was in shock when rabiot was left out of the France team for WC, maybe so.ething else to the decision as i think the guy is outstanding and would be automatic pick even though they have cracking players

As for button , best keeper I've seen tbh

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was absolutely * immense against us at Parkhead.

I’m not exaggerating to say it is up there with the best performances from a visiting Champions League player I’ve seen with my own eyes.

13. Seosamh Máirtín

Rabiot is on strike as the petulant little boy he is. His mother controls his affairs and wants more money. He's already on a sizeable contract, so likely to move on. The system they're going for is a 3-4-1-2 but their sporting director has failed in this window and may be facing the axe. As I said before, they're playing Marquinhos their best defender in midfield. The team is unbalanced and unlikely to seriously threaten deep in Europe this season.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Rabiot is on strike?

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I haven’t heard that about Rabiot and googles not returning any results. I think they are a stronger team than Liverpool were last season, it’s not out the realms of possibility that they will be in the final stages this year.

But that wasn’t my point - my point was saying they’re pretty much Kylian Mbappe and nothing else is bonkers. They have a lot of talent at their disposal.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I thought Rabiot was on strike and wasn’t playing?

Strange that...

17. Seosamh Máirtín

His contract expires next summer with Barca most likely to be his next destination. PSG holding onto him for now due to their bad summer window.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Yip, I was aware of his contract situation and that Barca are rumoured to be sniffing.

At no time was he on strike, however.

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Finished the Juve documentary on Netflix.

The very last scene with Buffon sat alone downstairs on the bus during the parade is pretty cool.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, it was France he refused to play for.