1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gary Mackay-Steven

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by AJ Styles, Oct 17, 2015.

Discuss Gary Mackay-Steven in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    The67Sound and paulmcq1888 like this.
  2. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I think and hope gms makes a lot of peopke eat their words.. eveyone forgets how good he was for us 2nd half of last season and its clear he has great talent and if anyone can bring out the best in him brendan will

The67Sound, joemc and Twisty like this.
  3. joemc

without doupt ,he was one of our better signings and actually performed better than armstrong back then,but like most feel on here ,he needs to add an aggressive side and take his chance when it comes round .

paulmcq1888 likes this.
  4. Ak1

Possibly BR is hoping to see a fit GMS over the second half of the season, before making a long term decision on Patrick Roberts.
    Either way GMS will need to get himself fit, and stay fit if he is to have a long term future at Celtic.

Next 4 months are crucial

paulmcq1888 likes this.
  5. Damnati

It frustrates me that virtually none of the skills in his videos are in a Celtic shirt. Where has that player gone?

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Wilted. He cannae fit the shirt.

I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the players told to find a new club (despite what Rodgers has said in the past about him). I just can't see him starting unless there is a huge list of injuries.

7. Deco67

Had a very strong end to last season. I reckon he will come good once BR gets his confidence back.

8. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Didn't he miss most of the end of last season?

9. joemc

if you watch him here you will see he is one of the best syrikers of a ball we have ,like griff and commons ,he is very assured and doesnt mess about ,its always a clean shot .

10. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    He's not playing for Dundee Utd. anymore, he plays for Celtic where competition is tough and you can be benched asap if you don't perform. I like his flair, but I don't thing any Celtic manager would have understanding for his cool dribblings if he would lose the ball after doing them, so I guess GMS decided to mostly play it safe.

He has talent, no doubts about that, but he lacks mentality for a club like this. If he can add aggression and power to everything he does, then he can have future here.

11. Damnati

This. It's a shame but he just seems to be sapped of his confidence so easily.

He has a good shot and has scored a few good goals for us but I was referring more to all of the outrageous skill moves that he became known for. Never seems to have the confidence to do it here. I suppose I didn't see all the times that he used to try it but it didn't come off for him.

12. joemc

its purely a confidence thing and he has never really had a sustained run in the team to show that side ,a bit like forrest with his injuries ,we all knew he is a player but could not get going through repeated injuries .

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What player is that? The player that can pull off fancy tricks when he's given time to receive the ball, turn and get his head up and only one player closes him down? The only player at Celtic that gets given that kind of space and time on the ball is Craig Gordon (and even then I suspect probably only because he has a history of launching flying dropkicks against opposing forwards that get too close to him).

It's not a given that a player that can do those fancy tricks can also produce something with the restricted time and space you get at Celtic. If BR thinks he may be able to make a player out of him, then I trust his judgement; but GMS has a lot to prove to put it mildly.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  14. Damnati

I agree. But I've never even seen him attempt a skill here. As people have alluded that's probably because life here is harder and he's playing it safe but it would be good to see him looking confident and aggressive. Think he would be a different player.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

15. TimFloyd Gold Member

Quicker he is gone the better.

Has as much about him as a baby wipe

16. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Had a great dream last night that we got into the Champions League Final against Arsenal, and it was 0-0 with 1 minute to go in injury time and GMS pounced on a mistake by the defence, ran in on goal and scored with nearly the last kick of the game. Remember going crazy in the dream and crying and shouting. It was one of those dreams that seemed real, and had to think about it when I woke up properly. The disappointment was unbelievable when I realised it was a dream.

Bumblebee likes this.
  17. LloydsGamble

I thought we were onto something with him with his performance away to Inter where he looked a class above. No idea why he was subbed that night.

Don't think he has it in him to be consistently good for us, but would love to be proved wrong.

18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I know this posts nearly a week old, but this is my thoughts exactly. I just can't take to him, the Scottish Pukki.