1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by littlekennie, Apr 18, 2011.

Discuss Game of Thrones in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Prequel set about 5000 years before GoT and about The First Men.
    They have already started filming it but it wont be on screens until next year

ChrisMoh likes this.
  2. oh bhoy

Christ im shocked at how bad that was ,i would have rated game of thrones as The best show ever but season 8 has been a complete disaster ,it looked like they quite simply couldn't be arsed anymore .Dragon melting the iron throne or everyone having a good laugh at the idea of the people deciding their king, * * how many times were they trying to jump the shark this season, the only way it could have been made worse would be another ed Sheehan appearance

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It had more ‘quality bad guys’ than any TV series that’s ever been made.

4. celtic warrior

Not the point I was making, the show itself I feel really struggled to replace Joffery or perhaps even Tywin Lannister.

Don't get me wrong Ramsey, Cersei and others were good but I didn't really feel like they hit the heights of a Joffery or perhaps even Tywin.

In the end, Night King, Cersei, Danny, Qyburn, Euron, Ramsey and Stannis didn't really mean much given how they all ended rather *.

Although to be fair Ramsey was decent but I personally don't think they got anything close to Joffery.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It definitely struggled later on. The Night King ended up being a *. Qyburn was just Cersei's hand - he wasn't a good guy at all but wasn't a true villain. Stannis wasn't really a villain either.

Euron was one of the worst characters on the show. Felt like he belonged in another series. Knock-off, less cool, less funny Jack Sparrow.

Ramsay, Joffrey and Cersei were the true villains over the piece. And obviously Dany for about an hour.

King of Kings and celtic warrior like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Dany literally burned a city of innocent people dead...

7. celtic warrior

Which was done so poorly and clearly done for a cheap shock, if it was given time to breath and was written better that scene would have been far more impactful and meaniful.

Danny I think could have been an amazing story and turn into a mad queen if she was given another season to develop.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

As has been covered already, there was 7 seasons of character development which hinted at a turn from her for almost all of it.

MacEwan likes this.
  9. celtic warrior

All of which were short moments against people who would have seen her dead or in a corner with the other women to be seen not heard. You could say justified reactions against those who'd have killed her otherwise expect for the Dothraki Khals I think?

Her central theme was all about being a breaker of chains, breaking the wheel, freeing the slaves and generally making things equal, her character was wasted potential and the switch happened far to abruptly for it to make any real sense.

She could have been great, but she was flat as villain.

King of Kings and Officer Doofy like this.
  10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Talk about the writing all you want. The visuals and music in the final season are up there with the best I’ve ever seen.

Even the last episode. It was filled with dread as soon as it begun all due to the colours, the music, just the way it looked. Dany walking to the top of the steps overlooking the Dothraki and Unsullied. Iconic.

neilly1987 likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t get people thinking that was done quickly, Tyrion literally had to persuade her not to do it the season before when the masters attacked... Mereen is it? * knows, can’t mind.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

If you think her turning was done quickly you were watching GOT to see dragons breathing fire and sword fights and weren’t paying attention.

Which is fine, that’s cool as well, but the story had been brewing for literal years and they couldn’t have made much more happen to her to be the catalyst for it.

neilly1987 and Liam Scales like this.
  13. oh bhoy

14. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    remember khal drogo from season 1?he was a bit of a scoundrel.even hitler didn't stab and rape everything in sight.:56:

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There was always suggestions that Targaryen’s had a madness somewhere in side them that they were genetically predisposed to. Cersei used the phrase “every time a Targaryen is born the gods flip a coin and the world holds its breath”.

I do agree that there hadn’t been much beyond that though. There had been a certain level of brutality in the way she could at times deal with her enemies but her decisions were largely in keeping with the general Westeros approach to warfare. Her story had been one of a liberator who had a desire for revenge against the people who had wronged her family.

One things that’s very clear is that she had never shown signs of becoming the genocidal maniac that she became in the penultimate episode of season 8. Her prior threats about attacking the Red Keep with her dragons do hint that she’s willing to allow for some ‘collateral damage’ but they don’t go nearly as far as suggesting systematic genocide of innocent people. And they could’ve gone with that actually - it would’ve been very believable to see Dany losing the battle and go into all our attack on Drogon, demonstrating a willingness for power over anything else, which I do think had been an internal conflict in her for some times.

Guess it’s been covered a million times, but I do think the general consensus amongst fans was that season 8 was a monumental * up. It doesn’t mean everything before it was *, but it doesn’t hugely damage the replay factor of the series as a whole, particularly because most of the foreshadowing and storytelling that built up the threat of the NK was utterly pointless imo. Also Bran sitting on the throne because ‘he has the best story’ after a captive (and sentenced the death) Tyrion Lannister decides so, should been one of the most powerful scenes in the series, but it felt weak.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    @King of Kings Tyrion literally had to persuade her out of doing the same thing the season before when her city was under seige

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I can’t remember it in all honesty mate. I can remember her suggesting attacking KL with her Dragons and disregarding the collateral damage, but never systematically torching the civilian population.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Before Kings Landing. Wanted to burn the masters cities to the ground when they attacked Mereen when Tyrion was in charge. He persuaded her not to.

But naw, was completely out the blue apparently.

* just no payin attention

MacEwan likes this.
  19. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    what the * we gonny debate tomorrow morning :39:

my nieces wee boy ( 2 ) is obsessed with dragons , I have let him see Viserion bringing down the wall and drogon burning the city , fast forward when folk were getting barbecued , he is utterly mesmerised !

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, regardless of whether or not you believe it was within her character - the fact that so many, and it seems to be a 50/50 split essentially, have a problem with it tells you the showrunners and writers didn't do a good enough job making it believable. That's the bottom line.

I saw a tweet the other day that summed it up. Some people are saying "people are moaning because they didn't get what they wanted". Nah. Nobody wanted Ned to die, or Robb and Catelyn to die, or Oberyn to die. Yet, funnily enough, all of those episodes are extremely highly rated. Some of the highest rated episodes of the entire show. The difference is - the episodes were masterfully built up and executed.