1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Former Man City boss Mancini not looking for Premier League return but opens Celtic door

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by sinky112, Mar 26, 2017.

Discuss Former Man City boss Mancini not looking for Premier League return but opens Celtic door in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. sinky112

Fav Celtic Player:
    sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail

Former Man City boss Mancini not looking for Premier League return but opens Celtic door

26 Mar 2017 10:32:33
    The Italian would like to take in European nights at Parkhead and work with his country, but he will not return to England or head to the CSL

Roberto Mancini may have won the Premier League title at Manchester City, but he is not currently looking to return to England, or even to the Chinese Super League.

Instead, the Italian is setting his sights on one day taking the reins of his country’s national side and possibly taking in a spell at Scottish champions Celtic.

Will England learn from Guardiola?

Mancini took in three-and-a-half seasons with City, guiding them to the English top-flight crown in 2011-12.

He has been linked with several posts since then, having seen a second stint at Inter come to a close, with Leicester City said to be keen on acquiring his services after parting with Claudio Ranieri.

Mancini has, however, shunned any interest shown in him from England and China.

[​IMG]

He told the Sunday Post: “In the future I would love to coach the Azzurri. To lead your country is the crowning ambition for any coach.

“For the moment, though, I want to continue working with club teams.

Mourinho explains Croatia trip

“I do not think I will go to China. They called me, but I said no because, for me, the real place for football is in Europe.

“I do feel an experience abroad would suit me, though. Perhaps in Spain or in France. I have already been to England and won there.”

While ruling out an imminent return to the Premier League, Mancini has admitted that the opportunity to take in European nights at Celtic is something that could appeal to him in the future.

[​IMG]

He added: “The Scottish fans are the best in the world, I love them.

“In one way it would be nice to see Celtic and Rangers in the Premier League, but I don’t think it will ever happen because it would also be the end of Scottish football.

'Why won't Wenger get Griezmann?'

I want to add one thing. If Celtic were to build a team strong enough to regularly compete in the Champions League, I might decide to manage them one day.

“For me, that is the next step for them, and one which I believe they are trying to take.

“Winning the league has become normal for them. They have the fans and the history. Now they have to strive to become an important player at the top level in Europe.”

2. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Don't like his attitude, but I certainly wouldn't turn him down if Brendan left in a few years.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Step down from Rodgers in a number of ways.

As just about any manager we're capable of attracting will be in a few years time.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. sinky112

Fav Celtic Player:
    sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He will decide * all :celtman2:

5. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I liked him at Man City. Not sure he'd be suited to Celtic, though.

6. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    No thanks from me. He's not a very good manager imho.

7. Finn Balor

"I might decide to manage them one day."

[​IMG]

8. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Aye he won't be deciding but we could do a lot worse if he was available.

9. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wouldn't be against it he's managed Man City, Galatasaray, Inter Milan so he knows what it requires at big teams
    The style of football wouldn't be the best but I wouldn't be unhappy if he replaced Brendan in 2-3 years time

10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Aye, piles of * money :giggle1:

He said so in that piece - IF we have a team that's regularly in the CL. Coz he wouldn't want to you know.... develop a team. :blahblah1

11. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

He's got a pretty decent track record, though.

12. AJ Styles Moussa Dembele's eyes Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Did something very few managers managed and won the league against a Ferguson Man United team

packybhoy likes this.
  13. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

He had the advantage of having loads of money at City, but still built a good side there and they were pretty consistent. They were poor in Europe under him, though.

He did very well at Inter the first time round. When he returned they'd become a bit of a basket case. No idea how he got on in Turkey, but I don't think he was there very long.

14. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    At Inter he had a free run to the title on both occasions as Juve were relegated and Milan were deducted points and have never really recovered. And he still spent * tons of money winning a one horse race.
    His record on the European stage isn't good. In fact it's poor.
    Man City in my opinion was very fortunate. The amount of money the guy spent it was inevitable. Wasn't it the record spending for one club in a summer? This was when they Arab money started to show - even making Utd and Chelsea look like minnows.

He has never done anything without massive, substantial spends. Wouldn't work here. It will never happen and without a massive budget he'd be pretty ordinary.

Intellectually Absurd likes this.
  15. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I think it's fair to say that he pretty consistently helps teams finish pretty much where they should be.

Had Lazio near the top, won titles with Inter, won trophies at City and had Inter about 5th or 6th when he went back.

He's never really over-achieved with a club, but he's probably not failed with one either.

16. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We have a manager and hopefully BR will be around for a very long time to come.

So this then is a needless and pointless exercise in speculation.

17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

A lot of experience but wouldn't be cheap, too defensive minded anyway.

18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    As long as we continue down the road that led us to Brendan then the hoops job will be attractive to any manager. After MON we took a step back to save some money. We should have continued but Martin left us with rebuilding a new squad. I liked WGS but he was the cheaper option.

19. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

You're right, O'Neill left us with older players on big contracts. I can't see Rodgers leaving us in that situation.

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I think Martin would have been with us for maybe another season or two only for his wife's illness. Obviously he done the right thing for his family and his wife pulled through. But he gave us some cracking moments.