1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football-/sport-related heart attacks.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by oneilla56, Dec 29, 2018.

Discuss Football-/sport-related heart attacks. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Just saw the Phil O'Donnell thread at the top there and it made me think about the number of football-related heart attacks over the years. Some, like Spurs' Muamba, are lucky enough to survive, but others aren't so fortunate (or, in the case of Ajax's Nouri, they survive but with massive side-effects).

It does beg the question, though, is enough being done? With the number of physicals and tests these guys get per year, surely the team doctors would spot if something is up, but from my own experience being routinely misdiagnosed with a chest complaint that eventually turned out to be benign PVCs, I do get that it's difficult to narrow down certain ailments.

Some doctors even say that screenings are effectively useless and that if a heart attack is going to happen it will happen.

2. ronniecann

My son's team in coatbridge had one of his teammates die on the field during a training session from heart failure at the age of 13 that was 2 years ago my son's team dunbeth in coatbridge have started a charity called the kieren McFadden foundation and we pass out defibrillator to all the local teams in our area

bagforlife and oneilla56 like this.
  3. leeso-ardoyne

Where does it say this!

4. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Difficult to say if the attacks are directly related to football or sport’s related activity.

6. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Directly related mate, although and I’m not being funny, a good ride could do it. Anything that makes the heart work harder.The disease is ARVC. This is the one that kills most young athletes.
    Arrhythmic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy
    No all a * about it fs.

7. Mince.Charming

Thanks for making my hangover ten times worse :bash:

8. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    hate the fear,used to get it really bad.thinking about cancer or getting plunged to death all day.:56:glad I dont drink anymore.

9. Mince.Charming

First time I've drank in a year mate. Thought i would reward myself with a few beers watching the football. Never done anything daft but the score and the fear is crippling anyway. Just made me realise I can't drink at all. Back to the gym in a few days and hopefully I don't remember this thread when I'm in there .:56:

ChrisMoh likes this.