1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Football Manager 2019

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by RabS, Oct 7, 2018.

Discuss Football Manager 2019 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Settle down * baws.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The dynamics in this years FM is * me off.

Started a save unemployed with no coaching badges and Sunday league player reputation. Got hired by Home United from Singapore. Won 3 trophies in my first full season including a continental cup. Reputation is up to one a bit star and I got my B license.

Left them and took over at Wisla Plock in the top league in Poland. Only had 10 matches to save them from relegation, which I did with about 10 points to spare. But from the first minute at the club my managerial support from the squad has been very poor/abysmal. Now the most influential player has said I've lost the dressing room. Apparently it's because my reputation doesn't match the size of the club - and the club isn't big in the slightest.

Not sure how to sort it out tbh. Really frustrating.

3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I've decided to sell Piatek, bit disappointed with his struggle for form last season and not convinced he's suited to backup duty. Eggestein came back from his loan at Bremen and is looking the real deal, rated ahead of Piatek despite being 3 years younger. Leipzig were very keen on Eggestein and put in a bid northwards of £60m all up, and whilst it would be tempting to cash in on a Bosman to that degree I opted to turn them down and give him the reigns as my #2 striker instead.

Surprisingly little interest in Piatek but I managed to attract a decent offer from Roma, £25m up front with a 5% of next sale clause. Basically represents a 100% uptick on the £13m we signed him for, so that's some good flipping. Decided to not have a 3rd choice striker this season as I managed to get Josh Sargent a good loan to Feyenoord, and I'd rather keep the £3m in loan fees and see how he develops over the course of a season starting for them. Berardi can fill in as third-choice striker if necessary.

Stumbled on a really good RW option at Boca called Alexander Fernandez, more of a conventional winger compared to Berardi's inside forward role but also possesses a killer scoring touch with 16 finishing. Solid bargain at £9.75m, which was his release clause for non-Argentine clubs. Hes's a cut above Dennis Man who I now probably won't end up buying, though he's stuck here on loan as I forgot to remove the non-cancel clause in his deal. Hoping to negotiate a new loan deal with that clause removed, but at the moment I'm told it's too soon to renegotiate. Bit of a costly error on my part as I'm carrying a third RW and about £17k of superfluous wages, but I wasn't going to let it stand in the way of the Fernandez deal because he looks a proper player.

Start again with slightly better rep, perhaps? Or try selling the dissenter to quell the rebellion.

4. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Halfway through season 4 and it's all going * swimmingly.

Opted to make one final signing before the end of the window in the form of Juve's Moise Kean. Had been scouting him for a while but he wasn't at the top of my thoughts, but I stumbled on a scout recommendation with a rather low price quoted and discovered that Juve had allowed his contract to run down into its final year, meaning he was available on the cheap. An initial £12.25m rising to £14.75m, which is slightly higher than his current value but represents a solid deal given his potential. Juve never really played him and he'd spent the previous two seasons on loan, one in Serie B with Venezia and one in Serie A with Cagliari, so he was eager to make the jump. Reasonably low wages as well at just £37k p/w.

I was able to conjure up a loan move for previous second-choice LW Matias Pellegrini, who headed down to the second division for a stint at St Pauli. Given the other targets I was pondering at the position, Alphonso Davis who Bayern want £47.5m for, and Hudson-Odoi who Chelsea aren't interested in selling at all, Kean falling into our lap has been really convenient. The signing of him coupled with the Alexander Fernandez signing on the opposite flank basically means I now have four proper starting caliber wide forwards/wingers for the first time in the save. This newfound depth leaves us with genuine game-changing options on the bench, as opposed to the yet-to-develop Pellegrini and the on-loan Dennis Man who were the previous first cabs off the rank. He's delivered thus far with an average rating of 7.08 across 13 league appearances, tallying 4 goals and a single assist. He also notched up a Pokal hat-trick on debut. He had an extended run as a starter due to first-choice LW Antonio Marin suffering an extended injury absence due to sprained knee ligaments. Although eventually Kean himself also went down injured at the same time with a strained calf, so I had to resort to playing two strikers for a while.

We started the league campaign on a sour note, losing 2-1 away to Frankfurt, but we quickly bounced back in the next fixture with a comfortable 3-0 win over Wolfsburg. Then had the misfortune of an early season trip to the Allianz to face Bayern, which we lost 1-0. We put the less than ideal start behind us by winning the next seven league fixtures in a row, before eventually losing at home against Dortmund. Could only muster a draw against Hoffenheim before getting back to winning ways away to lowly Bremen, we then had back-to-back draws but I wasn't overly disappointed as the caliber of the opposition - Mainz and then Leipzig - was quite high.

We finished the calendar year strongly with three successive wins to shoot ourselves up to the head of the table and claim the Wintermeister crown, including a 1-2 derby victory away to Gladbach and a 4-0 revenge job on Frankfurt.

[​IMG]

Just the 9 points separate the teams in the European spots at the moment. Looking to be a three-horse title race shaping up, with Bayern struggling a bit compared to last season's pace, BVB resurgent under Niko Kovac and ourselves mounting a serious challenge.

In the Champions League we were handed a really tough group, no great surprise there as we were a mere 4th-seed. But still, PSG + Atleti + Ajax made for grim reading. We started superbly with a 2-1 home win over Atleti, before then being held to a frustrating 1-1 draw away at Ajax. Then suffered back-to-back defeats against PSG (0-1, 2-1), so had a bit of work left to do having claimed only 4 points from four matches. Thankfully PSG had been putting the other sides to the sword as well, so our fate was in our hands.

Needed to muster a really strong performance away at Atleti and I feared the worst when Diego Costa put them ahead at the 5th minute mark. Rest of the match was a stereotypical battering ram effort to break down Atleti's defence, though it was an Ancelotti defence rather than a Simeone one as he'd left to replace Pep Guardiola at Man City (anyone else notice how AI Man City seem to be really * on FM2019, relative to their real-life embarrassment of riches? Across two saves I've played 9 full seasons and they've only won 1 Premier League title, 18/19 in my Koln save - not a single CL win in that time-frame either).

We made the breakthrough late on with Alexander Fernandez scoring to level the match. Was inclined to put the shackles on at this point - we were level on points with Atleti and above them on head-to-head - and bank on us beating Ajax on the final match-day and hope that PSG would beat Atleti. But before I could shift tactics to a more defensive platform Alexander Fernandez went and ruined my plan by scoring again. 2-1, or rather 1-2 to the away side, and that was how it would stay. Mathematically we'd clinched a spot in the first knockout round so our final fixture against Ajax was rendered a dead-rubber, as PSG had already clinched 1st. Put the dirt trackers out and they managed a tidy 3-1 win.

[​IMG]

Have snared Celta Vigo for the knockouts, which is a * good draw all things considered.

Don't intend to do much in the January window as we're still largely skint from the stadium purchase, though I did stumble across a really promising young Scottish #10 regen at Hamilton Accies called Graeme McGovern. Scouts rate him an 83 and he's dead cheap at £1.05m (£50k of which is an after 40 league apps clause).

Arples is having an amazing campaign, currently sits on 17 league goals from 18 apps, along with 1 in Europe and a brace in the Pokal. Though he's got hot competition for Torschutzenkonig with Anthony Martial not far behind on 15 goals.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Got it sorted mate. The main culprit got shipped out on loan and it completely shifted the managerial support, in a good way.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  6. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Bayern taking being Bayern to gaudy new heights, sacking poor Kloppo in March.

[​IMG]

Just had a massive 0-1 win away at the Signal Iduna, and backed it up with a 1-2 win away to Hoffenheim. Hold a seven-point lead over BVB with 5 games to go. Schale is surely bound for the Müngersdorfer for the first time since 1978.

Dispatched Celta comfortably in the CL but have a tricky quarter final draw in the form of Barca. Don't fancy our chances despite spanking them 4-1 in pre-season. Have a Pokal semi against Wolfsburg after beating Bayern 2-0 in the quarters. BVB or HSV await as possible final opponents.

edit: Barca are rubbish. Drei-null. Roll on the semis! We've got Allegri's Real, other semi is defending champ Guardiola's Liverpool up against Tuchel's PSG.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bayern have weirdly hired Cuca as their new manager. Nope, me neither. Had to Google him, Brazilian journeyman who turned out for the selecao once. In-game he's won a couple of Libertadores titles with Santos before a brief uneventful spell in charge of Athletic Club.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  7. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Das double, it's done.

[​IMG]

League was an absolute stroll, Bayern's weird Klopp implosion made it a two-horse race between ourselves and BVB and they couldn't match our consistency.

[​IMG]

Pokal final was a breeze, took HSV apart and ended up winning 3-0.

[​IMG]

Arp had a monster year, lad rarely gets injured. 34 goals all comps which is a big improvement on his first season total. Eggestein was fine off the bench. Kean exceeded expectations, scored some really important goals particularly in Europe. Berardi was fine. Marin was masterful on the left, solid goal production but more importantly he was the assist master. Ozcan's 7/7 as a CM is solid. Nice to have 5 scorers in double figures.

[​IMG]

Arp claims a second successive Torschutzenkonig gong, managing to hold Martial at bay. 28 league goals all up.
    Lost the first leg of the Real semi 2-3. Got a 0-1 win at the Bernabeu in the away leg but it wasn't enough sadly, went out on away goals. They went on to lose the final to PSG. * gutted we couldn't break them down for the 0-2 goal, threw everything at them but the * were too stubborn.

Sodding honours system on this game baffles me. Adamczyk starts 18 league games, 2 more than Horn, yet apparently he hasn't done enough to be recognised a league-winner. That's despite being registered, and despite other U21 first teamers getting the milestone. Also starts the Pokal final... no recorded milestone of having won it. Ozcan doesn't have either of the league titles or the cup to his name, officially he's won nothing despite being a key part of all three achievements.

Season 5 is all about Europe, desperate to finally make a final. Don't anticipate much from Bayern with their weird managerial change but if Kovac hits the market in a big way at BVB they could be dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Valhalla and Peej like this.
  8. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Rodgers is that you?

9. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I've had a hard time settling on an Italian team to do a save with. Did extensive Fiorentina and Atalanta saves on FM18, so they're both out. Was thinking Genoa and actually started an exploratory save with them to get a feel for the club, but their squad seemed a bit of a mess and I quickly shied away from the thought of ploughing hours into fixing it. Pondering a St Etienne save, and also trying to decide between Brentford and Sheffield United for an English save (I've not embarked on an English save for so, so long - years even).

For now I'm happy to carry on with my Koln save, trying to make an impression in Europe. It's the holy grail that keeps eluding me. Pre-season is so tedious, have taken about a week to try and push through it. Battling with Chelsea to sign Trincao who I think could be an upgrade on Berardi at RW, but starting to think I may regret giving him a huge contract. And he'd relegate Alex Fernandez to 2nd-choice, which wouldn't be ideal. So I'll probably pull out of that one.

Came across an epic CM regen at Schalke who was rated a 93 by my best scout, only 17 y/o yet already on par with Arne Maier at the top of my midfield depth chart. Is a natural DLP-D but can also play BBM and a handful of other roles. Release clause was an absolute steal at 13.75m.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now weighing up triggering the relegation clause of a Stuttgart regen LW who looks promising, but a bit hesitant as he'd cost 24 odd million and I've already got a settled LW picture with Marin and Kean.

10. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Was pondering selling Horn but decided to keep hold of him in the end. Still signed a class regen Serbian gk from Partizan for £3.5m but sent him straight out on loan to Torino. Will recoup £3m on him straight away, which is nice.

Also ended up snagging Francisco Trincao for an initial £38.5m along with £2.5m for 40 league apps and £2m for 40 league goals. Cut above Berardi who blows hot and cold. Couldn't sell Berardi but did tempt Sassuolo into a loan move, so he'll hopefully garner some transfer interest in 12 months time after starting a bunch of games for his old club.
    Did a slightly sneaky thing with Trincao in that I had to offer him a very beefy £130k contract with a £67m release clause to fend off Chelsea's offer. But after agreement I delayed it a couple of times until Sporting killed the deal, then I went back in and got him to agree to a much smaller £99k contract with far less painful bonuses. £89m release clause, too, which gives our investment more security. This is extremely gamey but would I classify it as cheating? No, Jeff, no I wouldn't.

Got some transfer interest in Hector from BVB, but I've no interest in selling a club legend even if they're offering a reasonable £30m+ for a 32 y.o. It was however time to move Hector on from the captaincy. He was captain when I started the save and I never really thought to change it despite him only having 10 leadership. But during the selection process my assistant recommended promoting Ozcan from vice captain to captain, which I've done.

Assistant recommended putting Horn in place as vice but given that he's no longer a guaranteed starter I opted to hand the role to Arp instead. He's had a hot start to the season goals wise with 5 in 3 league games but just got himself sent off with a straight red for a two-footed lunge against Augsburg, which made the rest of the match a rather cagey affair. So I'm not best pleased with him. Also means we go into the next match away to Freiburg without a natural striker as Eggestein is out injured.

Cl group was a bit kinder this year, obviously seeded 1st as opposed to being a 4th seed last season. We've been drawn alongside Monaco, Zenit and Paul Lambert's Celtic. Some tricky away days there but we should get through relatively unscathed all going well.

11. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    So the season up to the early November break for the World Cup is done, and the best way to describe how we've done is 'woof.'

[​IMG]

Have torn our CL group to shreds, winning the first 4 games handily to seal qualification with 2 games to spare. Came unstuck away to Celtic but worth starting the second stringers/youngsters to get them CL experience, and we can still top the group with at least a draw away to Zenit in the final group game (January).

[​IMG]

League has been a breeze. 11 wins, 2 draws, 0 defeats. We've conceded just the 4 and have scored 31, leaving us with a rather impressive GD. The early table makes for grim reading as far as Bayern are concerned, they're languishing in 9th.

[​IMG]

Now granted, we've not played Bayern or BVB yet so there are still some tricky fixtures lurking for us post-World Cup. But at this rate it appears nobody is going to be able to keep up with us.

Only real blemish was our exit from the Pokal on pens. Disappointed about missing the chance to defend the cup but more miffed about losing out on matches to blood the second stringers in.

Havertz is on the market at £31m which is incredibly tempting, but it's literally impossible to shift either of my current #10s. Guess it's more fun to play with lesser known guys like Morutjan and Majer anyway, and they're a lot cheaper on the wage front.

Still in the jealously guarding the books phase of this team's lifespan, everyone's so young and cheap. Average age: 23.50, average wage: £31k, average value: £33.5m. Our overall wage budget for the first team stands at £32.67m, the 12th-highest in the league. Bayern and BVB clock in at £173m and £114m respectively, in comparison. We've got £114m on the books and no debt, planning is underway to expand the stadium at the end of the season.

Just stumbled across the fact that I have an incredibly tall team. Not something I deliberately set out to build, mind. But 17 of my 22-man first team squad are at least 6' 0".

[​IMG]

12. M 67

Does anyone know when the Jan update hits? Is it usually Feb or March?

13. 67MB

What version of FM do you guys feel was the easiest to just jump in and play?
    I used to love FM 12 as (for me) it had just the right level of complexity. I feel that the latest games are just too time consuming and feel almost like a job haha.

I really want to get back into playing some FM, but was wondering what version everyone believes to be the best?

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

07 was unreal, first I proper played. Put some amount of hours into 12 as well though, probably the most out of any.

67MB likes this.
  15. Mr. Slippyfist

Champ Manager 1995.

The BEST!

Jo-Jo-Buffon, snails67 and 67MB like this.
  16. 67MB

I decided to load up FM14 and go Celtic.
    What I enjoy most about these games is developing players. Buying young talent from across the world for cheap, developing them and then selling them on for a profit. I much prefer that to the actual tactics and stuff haha.

Mr. Fawlty likes this.
  17. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Cupset! Magic of the Cup! Wahay! Up the Bees!

[​IMG]

Safe to say this save is going * swimmingly thus far. Started off strong with 7 wins and 1 draw from our opening 10 league games. Then had an extended run of rather ropey form, 2 wins and 3 draws from our next 9 league games. But then largely righted the ship with a December + January period which encompassed 5 wins and 4 draws from 10 league games, with a solitary loss away to Bristol.

Had a reasonably good run in the Carabao, beating Exeter in the first round, Hull in the second round and then grinding out an impressive 2-1 derby win away to QPR in the third round. Then had the misfortune of being drawn against Pep's Man City for the fourth round, away at the Eastlands as well. Managed to concede 3 goals in the first half rendering the game all-but finished, though clawed 2 goals back late on in slightly comical fashion to restore a bit of respectability to the scoreline.

But never mind the Carabao, what about this FA Cup business. Had a kind draw for the 3rd round as we dispatched Pàu Çlémênt's Reading 2-0. Then had a 4th round draw against either Palace or Burton. Decided to attend the replay to get a feel for our opponents, which would predictably be Palace. Just wanted to put the fear into Roy as he read the press reports about my 'personal scouting mission.' Feared the worst against a side riding high in the Prem, sitting 7th in the Everton Cup spot just 8 points behind Liverpool. But we put the top flight's best-of-the-rest to the sword. They had a full strength side out too, bar Zaha who was injured.

Decided to have a crack at a big January signing to hopefully push us over the line in the race for a playoff spot. Ollie Watkins has been an absolute menace down the left wing, terrorising opponents and leading our scoring charts with 14 goals in all comps (my two #9s, for comparison, have 12 goals between them). But I feared what would happen in the event of us losing him to injury, or overworking him. We lacked a genuine backup, he's the only natural LW in the side (annoyingly have to juggle between three RWs). Judge was a viable backup but was frequently starting at either #10 or in central midfield, so if he was ever required to stand in for Watkins we'd be left short elsewhere.

Settled on 17-y/o Antonio Marin given the experience I've had with him in my Koln save. The thought of making him my first big signing at the earliest available opportunity was an enticing one. The board, though... well they weren't exactly fans of the price tag. An initial 4.3m, nearly doubling the club's record fee, and then another 4.5m on top of that following 40 league apps. Their confidence in the signing was initially rated an impressive 0%, dismayed at me having paid 'over the odds' in what was apparently an 'extremely poor financial deal' for the club. Though with his early form (2 goals in 3 league apps, all from the bench) he's managed to push them up to 1% confidence. But never mind. I've got 100%, gold standard 'untouchable' board confidence when it comes to my overall job security, so they're willing to put losing their * over Marin to one side when judging the club's objectively impressive league campaign.

[​IMG]

Bielsa has left Leeds for the greener pastures of Leicester. Undefeated FLDC look set to romp to the title. You'd have Bristol and Stoke joint faves for the second automatic spot, but I have a sneaky feeling we'll be in the mix for it. West Brom are weirdly keen on further bloating their wage bill, putting in a bid for Everton's 65k man Leighton Baines.

We've just drawn Man City away (again... eugh) for the 5th round of the cup, so our run is basically over before it's really gotten going. But we've at least got 50% of a hopefully 40k+ gate to look forward to.

18. M 67

Nobody? :54:

19. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Last year it was March 1st, I believe.

M 67 likes this.
  20. Wellsy

Think this might just be my first post in this thread....oooooh

So, currently playing as Celtic in season 2026/27.

Have won the domestic treble in every season so far and I am currently on my way to another one.

Team is :

GK : Juanfran. Regen Spanish keeper I've had for 6/7 years now. Has just ousted David De Gea as Spains number one. Currently on £105k p/w and wants a new contract. I can easily afford to give him one but he'll to wait.

DR : Some French regen signed from Monaco for £12mil. Did have a Colombian regen for a few years but sold him to PSG for £45 mil.
    DC : Owen Stokes, 17yr old regen that came through my last youth crop. Good potential so he play all the time.
    DC : Garrido: Another Spanish regen that's been with me for 7 years. Cost me £300k from Real Sociadad.
    DL : Some Italian regen I just signed off Roma for £5mil. Did have another long term Spanish regen but just sold him for £45mil to PSG. (PSG sign a lot of my regens for some reason).

MC : Harry Winks. Signed him a few years ago but he's 31 now. Have been rotating him with an Iranian regen who im hoping will take over from Winks in the long run.
    MC : Some Swedish regen. Had Lewis Baker here for a good few years (club legend) but he took a hissy fit when I sold my old LB to PSG, so I papped him off. *.

MR : Malchek(sp). A slightly better than average Czech winger.
    LM : McGovern. A player than came through my youth set-up. Deadly despite his crappy finishing stats.

AMC : Bull. Another youth player come good. Boy is gonna be a star.

ST : McGloughlin. Signed from Telford for a staggering £26k about 6 years ago. He's now an Elite Striker and it would take a * of a lot of pennies for me to consider selling him.

My wage bill is just over £1mil BUT that's not really that much of a problem because my wage budget is just over £2mil. I also have over £500mil to spend but I only spend to replace 1st team players now.

callumrae1967 likes this.