Football Manager 2018

Discussion in 'Football Manager' started by DamianWayneCSC, Aug 16, 2017.

Discuss Football Manager 2018 in the Football Manager area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Ditched Marseille and started an Atalanta save for more of a challenge. Early days but I think this is going to work. Did the standard coaching rejig and brought in my usual go-tos, McGuinness and Bergkamp. Every single save it's the same pair, and they never let me down. Also snapped up a good keeper coach from Deportivo Cali, Eduardo Nino (three caps for Colombia). Had to pay a £40k severance fee to his old club but it's worth doing as his wage demands are so low.

Managed to get him on a 5-year, £400 p/w contract. The only other interested parties wanted upwards of £3k. So give it 12 or so weeks for the severance fee to balance out against the theoretical wage cost of getting one of the more expensive options, and I'm quids in. He's got 17s for distribution/handling and 18 for shot-stopping - and already holds his Pro license. Bargain.

[​IMG]

On the transfer front I devoted my pitiful budget to securing the services of Benfica's Rafa. I've long been intrigued by him as he's always transfer-listed at the start of the game, but I've never been in a position of needing to buy him before. This time, though, we were in desperate need of a RW with only Ilicic shunted over and the probably-too-young-but-i'll-promote-him-to-the-first-team-anyway Emmanuel Latte as options.

The amount of highly rated young talent at the club is really enticing. Given the budgetary constraints of being a smaller club in the financial backwater that is Serie A, not to mention a £400k p/m debt repayment burden (£38.5m total), this save will be hugely focused on youth development and scraping up the gems from the dregs segment of the market.

In theory we're owed £39m next season when the pre-arranged sales of the likes of Kessie and Gagliardini go through, but from memory I'm not sure if I'll actually get any of that to spend. It might not even come onto the books at all as it may already be accounted for. In which case, *, our balance is a mere £5m so it would probably be helpful to actually be compensated for losing two stellar players.

[​IMG]

Rather than have two supporting target men to lead the line I'm training Petagna up to get familiar with the complete forward role. Also decided to bring in Inter's Pinamonti on a two-year loan, with an option to buy. Thought about doing this with Paddy Cutrone but Milan wouldn't settle for less than £40m on the future fee front, which I don't envisage having any time soon. Whereas Inter agreed to a future fee of £19.25m, which should hopefully be doable after I've scraped together some sales money over the next couple of seasons.

Pinamonti was lethal in my Fiorentina save so I'm hoping for similar output. Given his potential and the potential of Petagna, not to mention a couple of highly rated young strikers on the books (Nivokazi and Mazzocchi), we're pretty well set up top for the foreseeable future. Andreas Cornelius is the odd man out here, already a senior player with no potential for growth. Can't sell him as he's just joined but I'll look to keep him involved as a rotation/Europa League option with a view to selling as soon as possible, preferably January.

[​IMG]

This is how my strongest XI shapes up at the moment. Don't really have the personnel for 4-2-3-1, might move in that direction eventually as we've got a wunderkind #10 on the books in the form of Alessandro Cortinovis, but he's only 16 and fair way off being ready for senior football. For now Ilicic will have to play out of position and rotate with Rafa at RW.

2. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    So far, so good.

Despite Caldara probably being my best centre back I decided against actually using him in our season opener at home to Bologna. As he's on loan without a release clause I'm essentially grooming a Juve player for them, with no realistic prospect of ever getting him here permanently. I looked into trying to embiggen his loan deal by an extra year but they refused, citing a desire to give him a chance in their first team.

I could of course get super uptight about the situation and terminate the loan in a huff, but that would be veering into cutting nose to spite face territory. So I'll just hang on to him for the good of results but use him sparingly. As for his replacement for the Bologna game, it turned out to be a perfect selection decision as Jose Luis Palomino scored a bullet header on the 25th minute and in the process marked the first competitive goal of my Atalanta reign.

Palamino is named after a horse coat colour, his profile pic is a snap of him looking like a typical representative of the hard * Argentine centre halves union, and he is a 27-year-old journeyman who's just arrived after spells with Metz in France and Ludogorets in Bulgaria. I think this could be the start of a long and fruitful partnership.

[​IMG]

All that said, I dropped Palomino for the next fixture because Milan away is hard and we were without Papu Gomez who managed to strain his calf and put himself on the shelf for the better part of three weeks. Given that we were already weakened I felt I had to turn to Turinese Agent Caldara, and to be fair to the lad he put in a solid performance as we soaked up all of the pressure Gattuso's boys had to throw at us.

[​IMG]

A quick verdict on the opening two games can only be positive. We were comfortable in the Bologna game but I feared things could turn in the second half when we lost Gomez to injury and they pulled back a goal from a speccie free kick. But we controlled the rest of the game comfortably enough. The Milan result was a real bonus and it's nice to get an early scalp at the San Siro on the board, as we begin our journey to eventual best-team-in-Lombardy status.

Petagna having 2 from 2 is very encouraging, particularly playing a role he's not entirely familiar with.

In other loanee centre half news, I'm also a tad perturbed about the continued presence of former Atalanta product turned Inter wunderkind Alessandro Bastoni. Despite selling him for £9m the club has for some reason decided to loan him back, which ventures into peak feeder club territory. He is however here on a two-season deal, and is only on £8k a week. So it could be worse. As things stand he's 6th-choice and I'm not exactly sure how much game time he'll end up getting. I'd like to eventually be in a position to buy him back from Inter, but that could prove tricky.

I'm not sure whether the best way to do that is to hang on to him and develop a positive relationship, maybe trying to extend his loan out to 2020 next year and see if I can sneak in a future fee clause. Or alternatively, terminate his loan now and send him back to Inter in the hope that they let him rot sans game time and he eventually ends up on the transfer list at a cut price rate. Both of those scenarios I've just described could just as easily end up with Inter keeping him and using him. So I'm not too sure which path to go down. Will probably just hold on to him for the Europa League and reassess next summer.

Decided that I needed a LW backup for Gomez, his injury brought the idea to the forefront of my priorities. Rafa did well there for the Milan game, but we really need something more permanent. Our young options coming through in that position are a fair way off being ready. Politano hit the market and I considered getting him in on loan with an £8.25m buy option. Though it would be a bit expensive, his £35k wages would need to be paid in full and that's starter money rather than bench money round these parts. I then had a brainwave and thought why not just go and get Tricky *, aka Internacional's Richard. Tied up a £975k rising to £1.2m deal for him after getting the board to agree to bolster the budget a bit, but he won't arrive until January. Still pondering bringing in Politano on a 6-monther for the meantime, but that would mean dropping Latte out of the first team which sort of goes against the spirit of this save being about youth development. Despite having had fruitful spells with Politano in a couple of saves now, it's probably wise to hold fire and just trust in what I've got until Richard arrives. Perhaps even give young Kulusevski some Europa League minutes on the left.

Sitting on a budget of £4.7m now, but probably best to hold onto that as the start of the Pinamonti kitty. Have pondered getting Vukcevic as he's be an improvement in central midfield, but we've already got 6 bodies there and the only ones I'd be interested in getting rid of are recent arrivals so they're impossible to shift even on loan.

V For Vendetta likes this.
  3. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Despite memories of Politano bossing things in my Fiorentina save and eventually getting flipped to Porto for a cool £31m, I've decided that a better use of that £4.7m budget is to get a deal across the line for Preddy Rajkovic in goal.

Despite already having Berisha on board, who looks perfectly competent, he's 28 and has already maxed out his potential. We've also got Gollini on loan from Aston Villa with a £4m buy option, and whilst he has a decent amount of potential he's a sweeper keeper so not really what I'm looking for tactically. And I don't really envisage getting him even as a backup because we've got a few good young keepers on the books earmarked for #2 duty, with Carnesecchi in particular having a lot of potential.

Although I've got no way to terminate Gollini's loan and Berisha has just arrived on a permanent so can't be shifted for a while, the best plan of attack is to get Rajkovic in to be my long-term #1, use Berisha enough this season (aka the Europa League shift) to attract some interest and get him moved on in January, and let Gollini kick his heels as an unused #3 choice before letting him go back to Villa when his loan ends. Then next year we have a clear #1 Rajkovic #2 Carnesecchi keeper lineup.

[​IMG]

Got it done for £4.3m up front, a £2m instalment and 5% of future profit.

[​IMG]

Juve wasn't the best fixture to come back to after an international break, but at least Petagna's hot streak continues.

4. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    * *, we're rampant.

[​IMG]

6 points from a possible 6 as far as Lombardy derbies are concerned now. I think mathematically we'll now only need a draw against one of the Milanese clubs to ensure victory in the non-existent-but-vital Lombardy Scudetto race.

[​IMG]

Rafa has proven to be a wonderful addition, and he's linking up fantastically well with Petagna. Just shy of a third of a way through the season and they lead the league in assists and goals respectively.

[​IMG]

12 games in, I'm a bit worried about how well things are going. This save should be a lot tougher, we're already tracking for a top four spot which would be massive. Feels like we're entering into that 'too quiet' movie trope on the verge of some sort of ambush.

The only genuinely * result we've had was a 1-1 draw at home against Benevento. But other than that, and the Juve loss which is par for the course, we've been faultless. Even picked up meritorious draws on the road against both Lazio and Napoli.

Papu Gomez just asked about wanting to move to Juve, but I've turned him round with classic talk about the vibe of the dressing room. He'd be mad to leave it when everything is going so swimmingly.

Roma at home next, which should prove challenging.

5. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Woof, it's been a busy Jan.

Bosman opportunity came up with Lucas Evangelista so I decided to pounce right on that for next season. Only ever time I've used him this FM was on my Fiorentina save where I ended up selling him to Southampton for £44m after a season and a bit, so that's a trick I'm looking to repeat in order to shore up my transfer/player development budget.

Daniele Rugani fell out with Allegri at Juve and I sniffed out a massive chance to strike. Tied up a loan for the rest of this season and then the next one, with the biggest snare being a £15.75m buy option. Not a cheap exercise as Juve demanded a £325k loan fee, which will quickly mount up, but the chance to nab him permanently is something I can't pass on.

At this point Milan's Davide Calabria ended up on the loan list and I managed to cobble together a 1.5 season deal for him, which includes a £16.25m buy option. Loaned out Hateboer to faciliate his arrival into the side, he'll probably get roughly 50-50 treatment in terms of minutes as Timmy Castagne still has a bit of potential growth in him. Not sure if I'll end up having the money to buy Calabria, and he's very much behind Rugani + Pinamonti in terms of priority, but he'd be a solid get if I can find a way to do it. Also a far cheaper loan as Milan were a lot more reasonable with their fee demands.

Decided to take a chance on Juve's Stefano Sturaro, who is seemingly permantly transfer listed on this FM. Don't typically have a need for BWMs but given my 3-man Dea midfield he's a perfect fit, will dovetail nicely with De Roon. Have a £4.9m buy option.

With Evangelista's pending arrival and Sturaro's loan I was suddenly a man over in midfield, so decided to get rid of the weakest link in the form of Joao Schmidt. Got a bite from Corinthians, slightly below face value at £2,4m but it's the best I could do. Also managed to move Cornelius on to Hoffenheim for a tidy £5m, he was never cut out to be a lone striker and was always on the chopping block. Happy to get rid.

I still had Caldara on loan but wanted to send him back to Juve in order to get Rugani into the side. Also loaned Mancini out to Bennevento as he needs the minutes, so I suddenly found myself tempted into adding another centre half. Dario Maresic was the man I settled on, pondered Red Star's Babic but we don't have the non-EU spots to accomidate him. Fended off PSG's interest in Maresic and got a deal over the line, though sadly he wasn't interested in negotiating a Bosman and would only talk terms over a permanent £3.8m transfer.

Richard also arrived but due to the aforementioned non-EU spot situation I had to find a loan move for him. Inter were the only team interested so I reluctantly sent him their way, at least they're intedning on giving him first team minutes so he shouldn't stagnate.

[​IMG]

Results wise we're still plodding along in 3rd. Just had our second league fixture against Juve so suffered another loss, which has dulled our margin to Napoli/Roma a tad. But prior to the Juve game we had an impressive 2-0 win over Milan to wrap up the league double over them for the season, and also assure victory in the non-existent-yet-important Bergamo MiniLeague.

[​IMG]

We've had a lovely little run to the TIM Cup semis, just smashed up Roma away in the first leg so looking on track to reach the final. Sadly Juve will probably be waiting there unless Genoa manage a Lazarus after losing 2-0 in their first leg.

[​IMG]

Petagna in the thick of a tasty little three-way Capocannoniere fight.

[​IMG]

6. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Juve are dead set on getting rid of good young centre halves. Send Caldara back and boom, straight onto the transfer list there. I very nearly overlooked it as it happened straight away, only just stumbled onto it a couple of months later.

Naturally I'm lining up a £3m now, £13.25m in a year's time deal. Fully on board with a Caldara-Rugani halves partnership next season, going to be rock solid.

The European run continues.

[​IMG]

Pinamonti scored an absolute screamer. Pleased to get the win without key man Papu Gomez who's on the shelf with a minor ligament issue at the moment. Delighted to have youngsters such as Latte, Nivokazi and Cortinovis on the pitch.

[​IMG]

Intriguing semi final line up, RB Leipzig probably the favourites of the four remaining teams. Hoffenheim will be the toughest test we've faced thus far but they're 11th in the Bundesliga so I don't exactly fear them.

Raoul Duke likes this.
  7. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Oy vey.

[​IMG]

We really, really ought to have gotten through to the final here. Were on track for a 2-0 win in the home leg, I neglected switching into shore-up-shop mode and we ended up conceding late on. Our answering away goal in the second leg never came, and we fell to the dreaded A.G. rule. Ah well, I think Leipzig would have mauled us had we got through. Semis still a decent run.

[​IMG]

In better cup final news, get the * in. Juve, go cup yourselves. They had the gall to rotate for a sodding cup final, starting a couple of no-marks who I'd never even heard of before (Campos and Del Sole in their XI, whoever they are, and then Petrelli and Caviglia and Kulenovic from the bench, whoever they are). We punished them for their selection hubris, clearly prioritising their scudetto battle with Inter (more on that later...).

* chuffed to pick up the coppa, especially beating Juve in the final. And Rugani scoring late just to rub it in. Beautiful.

[​IMG]

As for the league... woah there, Juve, what are ya doing? Inter have only gone and * won it, shattering Juve's success bubble. Rotating for little old Atalanta in the cup final didn't even help, in the end. As for us, * chuffed to hold 3rd. Looked like we were on the verge of chucking the long-held position away on the final day when we briefly fell behind against Hellas Verona, but we rallied back with 3 goals to seal victory and ensure we'd stay ahead of Milan in the final standings.

[​IMG]

We've apparently been judged to be the best team in the league, for what it's worth (sod all).

[​IMG]

And I snared both of the Manager of the Season gongs.

[​IMG]

On the stat front Petagna couldn't quite keep pace with the likes of Higuain, Immobile and Icardi in the Capocannoniere race, but he still logged a creditable 24 in all comps. Really impressed with Ilicic's numbers, didn't anticipate him adapting to the right wing as well as he did and he's now rated as a natural at the position. Rafa proved a good buy, Papu Gomez was predictably solid, and Pinamonti popped up with the odd contribution which bodes well for the future.
    Currently in the process of getting all of my squad ducks in a row for 18/19, have managed to clear out a fair few dregs - a few for reasonable fees - and have started the process of assembling a little loan army. Weighing up a Bosman for Real's Marcos Llorente at the moment, but can't quite figure out if he'd get the game time to justify adding him. Got the loans of Cristante and Spinazzola converted into permanent deals for the pre-agreed fees, Spinazzola in particular feels like a proper steal at just over 2 mil.

Have a reasonable budget of 10 mil or thereabouts after my clear out, not sure what to do with it. Intrigued by Barkley being on the transfer list and pondering a loan, though that would neccesitate ditching Freuler on loan which I'm not that keen on. Otherwise I'd have too many CM-APs, having of course already signed Evangelista on a Bosman. But in Barkley's case we couldn't afford him up front anyway, and the priority is somehow raising the 30 or so mil required to get Pinamonti and Rugani permanently before next season starts. So Barkley will probably have to be passed on.

Pondering selling Toloi to get some funds for the Rugani-Pinamonti kitty, there's interest from China but I rejected it so might have to deal with Napoli instead. Could get a little over 20 mil for him, I'd then replace him with Red Star's Babic who would slot in as 3rd-choice behind Rugani and Caldara. Would be a wrench to lose Toloi but it's probably the only way to guarantee I'll have enough to get both Rugani and Pinamonti over the line, and young Italian players should really be taking precedence over an older international player.

8. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

Finally managed to end PSG's 3 year dominance in the CL.

And what a way to win it! After missing out on the cup wi' the lugs 2 years previously against PSG, an absolute destruction of Lyon in Amsterdam is exactly what we needed to truly cement ourselves as European heavyweights once again.

[​IMG]

Vinnie BBQ and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  9. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    So, a * busy window.

[​IMG]

Ended up being able to extend the Pinamonti and Calabria loans by another season, knocking off a couple of mil from each buy-clause in the process. This has massively helped me out as I'm no longer under pressure to get the permanent deals over the line quickly. Tried to repeat the trick with Rugani but Juve wouldn't budge, so I'll have to have a crack at getting that done at the end of the season. But after all of our wheeling and dealing I've got a budget of £21m left to play with, so I'll be able to sign Rugani as long as his wage demands aren't too outlandish.

Towards the back end of last season I'd wrapped up the Evangelista Bosman and the Caldara perm, and I had the cheapo buy options for both Cristante and Spinazzola, so those four deals were all lined up before I really hit the market. And I also had Richard coming back from his Inter loan, now that I'm able to actually register him.

Decided to bolster my defensive depth, got Augustinsson signed up from Bremen to be a second left back. He's a massive upgrade on my previous 2nd-choice there (Goosens, who I've loaned out), and he's got really solid defensive and crossing stats. He's basically on Spinazzola's level but a more defensive fullback, so they'll probably end up splitting starts 50-50.

Second big defensive buy was Red Star's Srdjan Babic, who came to my attention via scouts. He wasn't even on the market but Red Star only wanted a modest fee. He's really solid, and young. I briefly pondered selling Toloi but after extending Pinamonti + Calabria that was no longer necessary from a financial standpoint, so instead to free up minutes for Babic I had to flog Palomino to Swansea for £7.25m. Also decided that it was time to part ways with Masiello, despite him being a really consistent option and equally capable at RB and CB he was 32 y/o, so not really a part of the club's future for much longer. Lined up a nice £5.5m sale to Sporting CP, not bad for a third-choice RB/fifth-choice CB.

Next up was a bit of a midfield shuffle. Remo Freuler's contract was up at the end of the season and I opened negotiations for a new deal, only to find his agent demanding £75k p/w which is above and beyond the salaries of my key players, so obviously out of the question for a reaonsbaly good but extremely replacable CM. Sold him to Tigres in the end for £11.75m, bit odd that I didn't get any interest from European clubs and pleasantly surprised to see a Liga MX club having that much cash to splash.

Pondered getting Ross Barkley but his wage demands would have been crazy as he's already on six figures, and forking out over £20 mil for a player with 10 decisions seemed to be a really bad idea. Did however get another Chelsea midfielder in the form of Mario Pasilic, who was on the market at a far more agreeable price. Then decided to raid relegated Cagliari to pinch the jewel in their crown, Nicolo Barella. Have always been intrigued by his potential when scouting him in other saves but have never signed him. Should be a good solid Italian club man for the long term.

Also spotted Alberto Grassi on the transfer list at Napoli, despite being a tad over-stocked in midfield at this point I decided to bring him in on loan with a buy-option as I'm of course trying to develop and quickly flip Evangelista, so the chance to get Grassi was too * to pass on - mainly on account of him being an Atalanta youth product and thus handy for registration purposes.

Other part of the window was the classic dregs clear out, got rid of a handful of players who were on loan last season - the likes of Kurtic, D'Allesandro, Marilungo and Almici for fees of at least a mil, or £3 mil in the case of Kurtic. Then a bunch of other randoms for sub £1 mil fees. My total sales figure ended up being £53m, or £65m if you include the fees for the loan army. Though I didn't see any money come onto the books from the pre-arranged sale of Gagliardini to Inter, so presumably that will again be the case when Kessie's pre-arrainged move to Milan goes through next season. The money must be resting in their account... (Father Ted reference)

I've got a couple of youngsters on the fringes of the first team squad this season, Dossena in defence and Capone up top as my third striker. Both were on loan last season but attracted little interest when I tried to offer them out. So I'll be looking to get them starts in the cup and minutes against the lesser league teams. Both have quite a bit of potential. Last season's young fringe players, the likes of Kulukevski and Latte, have been sent out on loan for the sake of getting good minutes under their belts.

[​IMG]

CL group is a reasonably tough task on paper, first match is Besiktas away so I'll quickly learn if we're cut out for European competition at this level.

Valhalla likes this.
  10. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    [​IMG]

Don't let the margin fool you, this has actually been a * great season and not at all a OM-PSG falling short style disappointment. Juve mathematically wrapped up the title before losing 3 of their last 4 games (on the beach), so the 5-point gap is deceptive and we were never actually in a legitimate title race. Which is perfectly fine because just finishing so comfortably with 80 points in the first place is ahead-of-schedule territory for us. We basically spent the entire season in 2nd with a couple of brief dips down to 3rd.

CL ended up being a fun ride, emerged from the group in second after having to go away to Benfica on the final day and get a win. Fell behind and scored our two goals late on to get the job done. We then scraped by Bayern over two legs on a.g. before falling to Liverpool in the quarters, winning 2-1 at Anfield but losing 3-1 in the return leg.

[​IMG]

Managed to defend our Coppa Italia, much easier opponent for the final this time around but turned into a bit of a shootout.

[​IMG]

Interesting to compare assist production from the right wing (Ilicic + Rafa) versus the left (Gomez + Richard), 34 vs 18 seems a massive disparity.

Petagna was a tad disapointing on the stat front, only really filling his boots late in the campaign as opposed to his form last season. But Pinamonti more than picked up the slack. Looking forward to signing him permanently at the end of next season, unless I can convince Inter to extend the loan by another year and knock a bit more off the buy option. But I'm guessing they've wised up to how good he is.

Speaking of which...

[​IMG]

EGB. Always a proud moment.

We've got a healthy 60m+ budget for next season as I've ended up having to sell Toloi to Southampton for 23.5m. Juggling 5 really good centre halves is a grind and he eventually kicked off over playing time. I was close to fulfilling a promise to him but it slipped my mind in the last few days. Even arranged a hasty friendly when everyone else was away for the international break to see if that would make any difference, but it didn't count towards fulfilling the promise. Ah well, probably a good thing as it means Maresic and Babic getting more pitch time.

Have agreed the deal to convert Rugani's loan into a perm, proper * steal at 15.75m though his new contract will be about double his old Juve one. But it's a necessary evil, and 77k is just about worth it. Not really sure what to do with the rest of my money. Pondering Jose Gaya who is on the transfer list at Man City, but that would take over 30m which seems a tad excessive. Could sell Augistinsson for 15m to get half of the fee, mind, but I'm not sure that he's much better than Spinazzola. And he's injury prone. So probably not. Like the idea of selling Augustinsson and getting Dimarco in as a 2nd LB instead, though the main motivation for that would be adding to the home-grown Italian contingent.

Have experience of developing D'Amico and Vignato in my Fiorentina save so pondering doing that again, but they'd both need RW minutes and there aren't any to be had unless I sell one of Ilicic or Rafa. Missed out on Pavon who ended up going to United, should have jumped on that quicker. Could have gone in for Deulofeu on a Bosman but he's inconsistent.

Tough-but-necessary step is probably to sell Petagna and find an upgrade at centre forward, but that would be a wrench as I enjoy using Italian players and can't think of anyone who would be a realistic upgrade. Torino have already sold Belotti to Bayern so he's out of the picture. Crazily pondered Balotelli on a Bosman at one point during an extended Petagna dry spell, but thought better of it. Will probably just end up rolling with what I've got, though Pinamonti will start the season as a clear first-choice as opposed to developing into one out of necessity.

V For Vendetta likes this.
  11. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Currently entering into a transfer window of much pain and sadness. Going to have to sell Ilicic because let’s face it, he’s 31, his contract expires in a year’s time and his agent’s opening gambit as far as renegotiation is concerned is to ask for 90k/2yrs. Handing out a 300% increase would not seem to be the wisest move, even if this is essentially my last FM18 save and I’ve got about a week of win-now mindset before the FM19 beta drops (presuming SI stick to the traditional fortnight before beta drop). So all things considered, a 24.5m sale to Southampton seems the only logical decision. Fairwell, my occasionaly brilliant Slovenian son.

On the plus side: Federico * Chiesa. Let’s just hand Fiorentina the better part of 40m in order to get the best Italian kid on the block.

Now just have to weigh up whether I extend my RW cull to Rafa. As much as I like the lad, I’m starting to think that flogging him and bringing in Dom Berardi might just be the best move as far as this win-now strategy is concerned. Chiesa-Berardi would represent a killer one-two punch.

Tried to flog Lucas Evangelista but there’s no interest in him at the moment, so will have to hold on to him for now. Was keen on replacing him with Berge. BVB’s Dahoud is tempting at a mere 9m but I’m a bit put off by his injury proneness, and he’s also slow as *. Bit of a moot point though as I can’t shift Evangelista.

Not sure how much I’ll have left to spend if I end up launching Operation Berardi, but if I’ve got something left to play with I like the idea of trying to prise Zakaria away from Gladbach. Have never managed him before and this may well be my last chance to do so on FM18.

12. DamianWayneCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Been my mindset for about a month. Really annoys me once the summer transfer window closes and they announce the new game. It runs the mindset of starting a new save or even continuing one that may be a bit stale.

13. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    So, this window has gotten slightly out of hand.

Outs + loan fees: £174m. *strictly speaking more like £156.25m as Milan's Kessie money doesn't actually show up on the books.

Ins: £149m.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've basically abandoned any pretense of patience and have now entered Veruca Salt/I-want-it-now mode.

I decided that rather than get Berardi, who I've already managed on FM 18 before, I'd instead have a try at something different and a player who I've never had. Also avoids the potential for awkwardness if Berardi was to keep megamoney Chiesa out of the team, which wouldn't be ideal. I needed more of a bench dev prospect. Still wanted an Italian so settled on Juve's Riccardo Orsolini. Didn't have a clue what to bid as my scouts reported that Juve didn't want to play ball, in the end just put in a £22.5m bid which represented about a 4x markup on his value. Didn't want it to be a derisory bid which they'd reject, but with hindsight I probably went in a tad too strong as they accepted it straight away.

This necessitated the sale of fan-favourite Rafa. They weren't happy with it, I wasn't happy with it. But oh well, plans change. Flogged him to Atleti in the end for £21m + 20% of next sale. Also managed to tempt Watford into outbidding Southampton for Ilicic, so he ended up going for a touch more at £25m.

Got rid of a handful of loan dregs who were on the books from the start of the save: Gosens to Freiburg for £2.7m, Hateboer to Spezia for £1.5m, Vido to Cremonese for £1.5m. Decided to part company with 2nd-choice keeper Berisha, selling him to Pescara for £3.9m. Sportiello came back from his Fiorentina loan spell to replace him, he's club-grown and still only 27 y/o so fits the backup profile nicely.

Pulled the trigger on a LB upgrade, sending Augustinsson to Bournemouth for £15.5m and replacing him with Kieran Tierney for £19m rising to £22m. Managed to get him to choose us ahead of a competing bid from Liverpool, always nice to see off a Premier League rival for a signature (didn't have to offer him crazy money either, he's only on £67k which is presumably a fair way short of what was on offer in England).

Inter were suddenly flush with money having sold the likes of Kondogbia and Icardi and Cancelo and Murillo. Spotted they were interested in Evangelista so I managed to perform my Bosman flip, selling him for a club-record £30.5m. Rather than replacing him with Berge I pushed the boat out a tad more and launched a raid on Napoli for Piotr Zielinski, who I reeled in for £31m rising to £36.5m. On league debut he notched up 2 goals and 2 assists, so he's on the verge of surpassing Evangelista's league production over 25 appearances last season (1 goal,3 assists). I think Zielinski will take our midfield play to a whole new level.

I got a bit fed up with juggling a 27-man squad last season, so decided to take the tough-but-necessary decision to cut it down to a more sensible 25. I say tough because this process involved the aforementioned sale of Rafa to Atleti, but also meant selling club vice-captain Martin de Roon to Wolves for £9.5m. I liked De Roon as he never complained about his extended spells out of the team, and always put in a shift when called upon, but in BWM terms he's inferior to Sturaro. It was essentially a straight choice between De Roon and Alberto Grassi, and despite Grassi not being a BWM he's a natural fit for 3 roles and also has the plus points of being 4 years younger than De Roon and also is a homegrown-club player. Could have kept him on loan for another year before triggering his £4m buy clause but I brought the process forward in order to lock him in at a lower wage. Had I given him a season's worth of appearances/development his demands likely would have been a lot higher than the £28k contract I ended up getting him signed up to.

Final bit of business in the window turned out to be, strictly speaking, unnessecary. I spotted "ine" next to Kieran Tierney's name when I was previewing the Champions League squad registration rules. He'd played in a single CL qualifier for Celtic so I panicked and thought he'd be cup-tied for me, hence the "ine". Not realising that he was actually just inelligible to be registered were I taking part in the qualifying rounds myself. I'd forgotten about the rule-change which allows players to play CL qualifiers for one club without being cup-tied for the CL proper. I basically panicked myself into buying Jonny Otto, who is of course a natural across all three defensive positions, thinking that he'd fit the bill as a 1st-choice RB and 2nd-choice LB for the CL. By the time CL registration time came about and I realised I actually could register Tierney, the pointlessness of the whole farrago became apparent. In the meantime I'd sold Castagne to Sassuolo for £11.75m. Ah well, you live and learn, and ultimately Jonny Otto represents an upgrade at RB. Bit miffed about letting another original squad member leave, but you can't let sentiment stand in the way of progress.

I've christened this group the Group of the Stereotypically * Away Day.

[​IMG]

Squad is now looking nice and lean at 25 souls. Very happy that it's brimming with 16 Italian players. Zielinski counts as trained-in-Italy and Richard is a year away from qualifying for that status as well, so we'll end up having only 7 of the squad trained outside of the country.

[​IMG]

Better watch out, Juve. You'll soon regret selling Dybala.

Yeah, know what you mean. For me I'm happy continuing a save that I'm quite attatched to, but starting fresh with the likes of Ronaldo still at Real and Higuain still at Juve doesn't quite feel right.

DamianWayneCSC likes this.