Football Manager 2018

Discussion in 'Football Manager' started by DamianWayneCSC, Aug 16, 2017.

Discuss Football Manager 2018 in the Football Manager area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Does that not take * ages being two teams? It’s drive me doo lally :56:

When I was a wee guy I’d go like 4 or 5 teams at a time but there’s too much * in it nowadays.

ScouseHoops and Highland_Bhoy like this.
  2. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    [​IMG]

First leg against Arsenal was a bit bonkers, got carved open a couple of times early and thought it was all over when we went 0-3 down. Managed to fight back in the second half and * a couple of goals to claw our way back into contention.

[​IMG]

Away leg was surprisingly easy, expected another tough slog but we were on top early and scored either side of the break. Bit annoyed about losing Ceballos to a red.

[​IMG]

Juve next, and they were a * pathetic opponent. Expected a bit more from them despite Napoli winning the last couple of scudettos.

[​IMG]

Second leg was even more of a joke, utterly uncompetitive.

[​IMG]

All set for a trip to Vienna for the final, then. Daunting task on paper in the form of Allegri's Man City, the English champions, who overcame Mourinho United in the semi on away goals.

3. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was playing this at weekend and had a look at how Celtic were doing in my save. Some team they have. They have Bernardeschi on loan from my Juventus side, Trippier, Lingard, Witsel, couple of really good looking regens and ,weirdly, Branislav Ivanovic as player/manager although from what I can see he hasn't played more than a couple games in 2 years. Feel bad for buying Tierney for Juve though as they have replaced him with Luke Shaw. Edinburgh City are also in the top flight, and it's only 2022. Some rise through the divisions.

Signed Moussa Dembele, who had went from Celtic to BVB, as a backup but he ended up being my main striker at Juve. Top scorer in Serie A, Champions League and Golden Boot winner. Real came in with big money bid and he wanted to go so I let him. Signed for £35 million and one year later for £80 million I think it was. Planning on making a youth player my main striker after blooding him last season but will probably be tempted to buy a replacement.

4. Mr Shelby I am the son and heir Gold Member TalkCeltic Staff News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always. xxx
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's that time of the year again.

Think I'm gonna pick this up.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  5. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yeah it does take a while :56:

6. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Anyone else find it hard managing the club's you support? I get too emotionally involved if it's Celtic/Everton and worry about keeping on big players on the pitch/dressing room too long (Rooney/Baines/Jags/Broonie/Gordon) for fear of hating myself but also annoying the squad....

This is a particularly delicate issue in FM18 with the introduction of dynamics so releasing Jags at end of his contract in 2018 or selling a year early like Rooney or Baines to free up wages and get better balance in the team creates mutiny amongst fans and players.

Thoughts? @Mr.Fawlty etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Final was a really cagey affair, Allegri has City playing 4-2-3-1 so the two teams more or less mirrored each other in positional terms. We got the break of a comedic Marquinhos ogloal to put us 1-0 up, from that point I was reluctant to go into attack mode so we just carried on controlling the game and hoping their array of attacking brilliance didn't come to bear. In the end our defence stood tall and we ran out 1-0 winners, a much less exciting game than the previous year's chaotic final loss to Real when we were desperately trying to break through, but it's a result I'll happily take.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the league front we won it at a canter in the end. Real annoyingly rallied to climb up the table late on, sparing themselves the ignominy of a bottom-10 finish that looked on for an alarmingly long period. Oh well. Conte just about saves his job. Hat tip to Athletic Club for a second consecutive runners-up spot, together we're reshaping the league.

[​IMG]

On the Copa del Rey front we atoned for last season's final defeat by beating Barca in a rather entertaining affair.

[​IMG]

Paco coming back to haunt his former club who saw fit to sell him for £6m. Cheers, lads, no backsies.

On to the stats, we had a number of solid contributors.

[​IMG]

Alcacer lead the way with 26 goals in all comps, a decent haul. Whilst our two incoming Bosman boys notched up 15 apiece, bodes well as they develop going forward. SamuCas and Berardi both did well on the right flank, creating and scoring in equal measure.

After the pain of the Neverkusen we've responded in the best way possible by storming to a treble. Next season will be tough, I'm expecting a real fight back from Barca (now under Klopp's stewardship) and Real will probably spend up large in an attempt to get their act together.

Our modest wage budget is set to grow with the additions of Junior and Isak, and I'm also targeting Leicester's Ndidi as my long-term DM solution. Can only really get one big singing done with my transfer budget but have decided to bolster it by selling Alberto Grassi, who is a good club man but doesn't really merit a spot in the side ahead of either Berge or Linetty. Fabian can adequately fulfill the third-choice CM minutes that Grassi used to take up. He's nominally valued at £39m but the best I can get, probably as he's in his final contract year, is £28m from Hoffenheim. Decent enough for a player we bought for £3.8m.

8. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I'm pretty sentimental even if it's a club I don't support, especially if I've been doing the save for a while. Facing this scenario at the moment with Javi Garcia, he's been my first-choice DM for ages but was finally supplanted by Liverpool loanee Ruben Neves last season. Still, Garcia can come in and do a job and he's a highly influential player in the squad, albeit not a team leader (used to be). He's 34 and will probably retire at the end of next season, could keep him around to do a job in the Copa del Rey but equally could sell him to save myself paying his £20k wages. Bit of a dilemma.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  9. Vinnie BBQ We're Brewin' Gold Member

Anyone knows how many games does a player have to play before getting a new work permit?

Tried to offer Obradovic (my left back substitute, who never moans and does a decent job) a new contract, but it keeps telling me. he didn't play enough matches.
    Seems a decent amount of matches played to me.

[​IMG]

10. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    International matches.

11. The Bunnet Gold Member Gold Member News Writer

I've never automatically taken over at Celtic whilst Brendan's been in the job.

Always wait until he leaves :56::56:

12. Vinnie BBQ We're Brewin' Gold Member

Ffs! I'll start looking out for a new LB than. Seems strange as he clearly did contribute these two seasons and played a decent amount of matches. You sure it's only international matches?

Thanks for the quick response though.

13. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think it’s something like have to had played 75% of matches for their country in the last two years.

Sometimes if they’re younger they’ll get one on appeal though.

Vinnie BBQ likes this.
  14. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Do you hate those EL campaigns where you buy players purely to play in that/rotate who then become useless after Christmas and can't back the league your playing in?

Also do you ever get into situations where an attack or inside forward is better than your CF/Winger but just doesn't fit into your system? Especially when they are the kind of strikers who need a partner up top? (Sandro at Everton, which was why he got sent out on loan in real life)

Like I always play Tosun up top as he links up with the wide players better and can play there on his own when Fernando Torress/Sandro are blatantly better all round players and are more dangerous in front of goal.

The worst dilemma at Everton is how the * you fit Rooney AND Siggurdson into one system. Nightmare.

15. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    How does anyone use the stats/heat maps/data/analysis tools to beat the opposition in game?

16. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mental the difference the staff makes in this yin.

Get 5 star fitness coaches and the best physio and sports scientist and injury will basically be gone as long as you rest in between matches.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  17. Vinnie BBQ We're Brewin' Gold Member

Bummer. Sad to see him go.....Ah well. just signed Leighton Baines on a free as LB back up for next season.

18. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If you’re wanting a young cheap LB then Cucurella at Barca B.

19. Barry Robson

Just cant get into this year's edition. Had a good save with Sheffield Wednesday when I first got it but ever since just can't get into a good save. Latest save was with west Brom, sitting 2nd after 11 games but even at that I'm not enjoying it. The interface puts me off aswell, preferred previous editions

ScouseHoops likes this.
  20. Valhalla You cut me off mid funk Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I’m like this as well :giggle1:

Soon as I’m in someone’s favoured personnel I tend to stick with them.

Always pick the same young coaching staff as well and take them wherever I go.

ScouseHoops and Mr. Fawlty like this.