1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Film Scores & Soundtracks

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Taz, Mar 13, 2017.

Discuss Film Scores & Soundtracks in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As in music, not rating them, as there is already a thread for that.

But there are some truly fantastic film scores and soundtracks out there.

Thought this would be an interesting topic to have it's own dedicated thread.

Anyhow, kicking it off with one of my favourites: The Mission.

A beautiful, spiritual, even inspirational at times, yet ultimately deeply saddening film, with a fine cast anchored by the two leads, Jeremy Irons and Robert De Niro, and ably supported by the likes of Liam Neeson, Aiden Quinn and Ray McAnally. For all it's wonderful scenery, performances and detail, it is the score that underpins it all and lingers forever in the memory. Unforgettable. One of Ennio Morricone's finest.

Bumblebee and Swervedancer like this.
  2. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

The Reservoir Dogs soundtrack was class,still got the cd.K-Billy CSC.

Swervedancer and Taz like this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've always loved the Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels sound track.

Taz likes this.
  4. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Halloweens score. Carpenter created it in one sitting I believe.

5. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't think I will ever hear 'Stuck In the Middle With You' again without instantly thinking of this scene:

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Star Wars has to be up there.

Taz likes this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Original trilogy is best of course, lol. But even with the crappy prequel trilogy, John Williams cannot be faulted for delivering flawless scores for those films. Essential & instantly recognizable.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Goodfellas.

Watching Full Metal Jacket now and the soundtrack is decent.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  9. Swervedancer Guest

Probably not a popular one but definitely the most accessible David Lynch film I've seen is The Straight Story and Angelo Badalamenti does the soundtrack which I quite liked. Kind of minimalist folk music feel to it.

I think he's worked with him on a few films, TV shows, might even have created Twin Peaks music which is a classic theme.

Bit cheesy and dated for most folk but the 80s film Pretty In Pink had a decent soundtrack.

I love Pulp Fiction.

Are they regarded as soundtracks being a group of songs rather than a tailor made score for the film?

Matt_20 and Taz like this.
  10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Angelo Badalamenti has worked a lot with David Lynch. He also did the scores for Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, the 2 Twin Peaks films and tv series, etc. Great shout, @Swervedancer. :50:

I would class groups of songs as being part of the film's soundtrack. The score would be a primarily original or adapted piece/s/works of music to underscore the film.

Swervedancer likes this.
  11. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    The Graduate! Classic.

Swervedancer and Taz like this.
  12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Some great Simon and Garfunkel tracks on that, for sure. If memory serves, the other pieces featured in the film were composed by Paul Simon also.

13. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Im sure another guy was involved too, but id need to look it up!

14. This Charming Man

Twin Peaks (TV series) is not a film but I doubt you'll be so stringent with the suggestions. The soundtrack throughout that is amazing. It's rare for sound/music to be the preponderant art form in a predominantly visual medium but I think that in Drive it's the the soundtrack that's the most memorable thing from the film, which isn't to say it's a bad film, just the music elevates the films to a whole other level.

There's a whole host of Western's that have produced scores so memorable that they're probably more well known than the film itself, which is mostly due to the brilliance of Morricone.

If I were to suggest to you something that I think you wouldn't have heard of before though, it'd be John Carpenters 'Assault On Precinct 13'. Give it a watch (and a listen) if you haven't.

15. Pinstripe

This is probably my favourite piece of music that's used within a movie soundtrack, just perfect for this scene.

16. Swervedancer Guest

Ah glad you recognised him. I've seen all those films and Twin Peaks but you know I hardly remember them now. Wild at Heart was Nicholas Cage and a famous actress. I'm sure and Blue Velvet was a classic with Dennis Hopper and a beautiful Italian actress, Isabella Rosselini? I must be honest though, Twin Peaks I could not understand a bit. I did like it though. It was just so bizarre.

My favourite is Mulholland Drive with Naomi Watts. There is the most amazing twist in that which is jaw dropping.

@T.S. Eliot I really liked the music in Drive. Thought it was a very good film.

@Pinstripe I've not seen Mohicans yet so I best not watch the final scene as it's meant to be a good film.

Probably the most famous piece of soundtrack ever created was by Williams I think. The shark approaching theme in Jaws, so simple but scared the * out of everyone :56:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
    Taz likes this.
  17. Pinstripe

The use of Sgt. MacKenzie at the end of this was class.

18. This Charming Man

I can probably never thank David Lynch enough, mostly because of how much me and my now girlfriend bonded over his films during the getting to know each other stage. She actually has a load of his films (and Twin Peaks) on DVD, which is amazing to me. If I were to rank my favourite David Lynch's films, it would be Blue Velvet > Eraserhead > Wild At Heart > Mulholland Dr. > Inland Empire.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Taz likes this.
  19. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Definitely agree with all those points, @T.S. Eliot, re Twin Peaks, as well as the Westerns that Morricone did. The Dollars trilogy, Two Mules for Sister Sara, etc. In fact, pretty much every Morricone composed film score really helps give each film its own unique and distinct character.

And yes, @Swervedancer, it's Laura Dern that is in Wild at Heart with Nicholas Cage. She was also in Blue Velvet and Inland Empire.

To join in on the Lyunch appreciation society we have going at the moment, lol, Blue Velvet is my personal fav, but I wouldn;t evenbegin to know how to rank them as think they are all great. Elephant Man, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, Eraserhead, even Fire Walk Wih Me, which isn't as good as the original (aka the feature length 'pilot' for the series) or the first season of Twin Peaks. Scond season did dip, but that seemed to be more due to ABC (the TV company that had commissioned the series) putting pressure on to solve the mystery sooner rather than later, which did mean it lost a little bit of focus thereafter.

20. Bumblebee

Great topic, soundtracks can really make a movie even better or make a bad movie watchable.

Anything Enrico Morricone has been involved with usually turns out perfect, the fact he has been involved with soo many westerns and created unique individual soundtrack for each one is amazing. Genius composer in my opinion.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest soundtrack is great but Jack Nitzche' end theme is emotional and beautiful suits that movie and that particular moment soo well.

The Long Riders soundtrack by Ry Cooder is one I actually own on LP and give it a regular spin. Another few that are worth a mention are, Taxi Driver, Easy Rider, Medium Cool, Barry Lyndon, ALIEN & ALIEN 3, Blade Runner, The Warriors, and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

My absolute favourite soundtrack is from a movie called The Hired Hand (1971) which also happens to be one of my favourite westerns. Stars Peter Fonda and Warren Oates (One of the coolest cats alive in the 60's and 70's). A session musician called Bruce Langhorne provided the soundtrack, he worked with Bob Dylan and stuff, he played every single instrument on his own. Seriously I * love this soundtrack, another one I own on LP and regularly play it. I implore you watch this movie if you haven't seen it the cinematography and the music is just breathtaking (for me anyway).

That is two songs on that first video below by the way, second tune kicks in at 2 minutes 20 seconds and it is utter gorgeousness and gorgeousity!

Oh and I particularly enjoyed The Counsellors soundtrack too, also didn't think that was a bad a movie as it was made out to be...