1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think that’s why Sacha Baron Cohen ended up leaving the role.

He wanted to make a film about Freddie but Queen wanted the film to be about them.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Overlord. 9/10.

WW2 Zombie movie. Brilliant film but the most ridiculous thing in it was the main woman who seemed to know how to use any and every weapon going even though she was just a wee village girl :giggle1:

3. clonbhoy

Zombies knocking about in WW2 is fine, it was the young girl using the weaponry that was ridiculous?:43:

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That’s my point.

She was some little village girl then all of a sudden was running about with grenades and big flamethrowers breaking into the main * compound and * :giggle1:

5. clonbhoy

Zombies are ridiculous though. Once you have gone that far, surely everything is fair game? It just seemed odd to complain about one aspect of a zombie film for being ridiculous.
    I should say, I haven't seen the film and am unlikely to, because I find zombies ridiculous.

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Good for you.

And the part in bold...no, it doesn't mean everything is fair game. If I was watching The Walking Dead and one of the main characters started flying it would seem * mental and would take me out of the moment. Just because there's zombies, doesn't mean the laws and logic of the universe no longer applies to humans or anyone else.

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just signed up to that there. Looks pretty good so far.

It'll take an age ticking off films I've seen.:giggle1:

Valhalla likes this.
  8. clonbhoy

Fair enough then. I kind of assumed they did. I don't get how one major law of the universe can be broken, but a much smaller and more believable one can't.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Depends on how serious and "grounded" the film or TV show is, I suppose. Some zombie films are intended to be ridiculous and for the viewer to just have fun and not take anything seriously. Whereas others try to keep it dark and more realistic...as realistic as a zombie film can be.:giggle1:

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Because I’m talking about context within the film.

They actually done a good job grounding the movie and building the whole ‘what are the *’s really upto?’ part.

It wasn’t because it was a lassie doing it. If they had a female soldier it wouldn’t have even been noticeable. Even if the village lassie was a guy it would’ve been ridiculous.

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye same :56: some films come on the front page you’ve not seen for years so I just put them on my watchlist to watch them again before I rate them.

It’s good for when you’re struggling for something to watch as well. Can either search a film/genre you like and look at people’s playlist with similar films or just go into the films you’ve rated and watch one of the better ones again.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  12. clonbhoy

Fair enough. I am learning here. I genuinely thought the whole point was fantasy. I suppose because I don't have an interest, I lumped all zombie films in together.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye this isn’t like a typical zombie movie. It’s more a superhuman/super soldier type experiment movie.

To be honest I wouldn’t even have known it was supposed to be a ‘zombie movie’ if I didn’t know about it beforehand :giggle1:

Would’ve just assumed it was a cracking comic book adaptation.

14. clonbhoy

My thinking was that a human doing incredible feats is more believable than actual zombies.

This is the most I have ever discussed zombies, without mentioning Huns anyway.

15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Watch Overlord and you’ll know what I mean :giggle1:

It isn’t like a Walking Dead/Dawn of the Dead type zombie movie.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    There’s a reason given in the film for why the zombies are the way they are.

The opposite was shown for the woman.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A Clockwork Orange

Pish. I've seen plenty of mixed reviews and it seems you either love it or hate it. Malcolm McDowell is excellent in it, though.

Edit: Best thing about it is the music, which is superb.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Slaw and Valhalla like this.
  18. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Green Book

A film about the true story of a pianist who undertakes a tour of the Deep South in the time of Jim Crow laws are still in effect, in the early 60's, who hires a street smart hustler to drive and more, as they encounter the segregation and prejudices. As both are from New York there is extra element in being on this fish out of water road trip, but it is so much more than that. Intelligent and well written, and the two leads are excellent in this, a real tour de force.

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Another based on the true story of Lee Israel, a cantankerous author who finds her career stalled, and originally out of desperation begins to forge letters and notes by well known writers, with the aim of selling them on to collectors. Despite her situation and obvious talent at impersonating those, its hard to feel sympathetic at times, but these are character studies of flawed people. Melissa McCarthy's Lee does the job but it isn't a performance where I felt that she owned it entirely. Indeed at points I found myself wondering what someone like Kathy Bates would have done here. On the other hand, Richard E Grant steals every scene he is in, in this. Any fans of Withnail & I will love him in this also.

Alita: Battle Angel

As a fan of the 80's and 90's Manga and anime (Akira, Ninja Scrolls, Neon-Genesis Evangelion etc) am familiar with the source material of Battle Angel Alita. Have been looking forward to this for a long time and setting those expectations aside, by necessity it has a lot of world building taking place, which is also what Alita is going through being introduced into. This is one of those films that really should be seen on a big screen (not that I can really comment on this) as visually everyone leaving the screening I was at were commenting on how visually stunning it was.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I went to see this, today. I enjoyed it and it did look very good too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Taz likes this.
  20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Enemy.

I can't really give it a rating because I don't know what the * happened even after reading an 'ending explained' :56:

It did grab my attention for most of it but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Valhalla likes this.