1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sydneysider

Original Sam Peckinpah was v good, didn't notice there was a remake !!

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Michelle Williams and Christopher Plummer are both really good in this. Williams really carries this movie in the most part, but considering Plummer was brought in and every scene he did was a reshoot done over 8 days after the director deciding to drop Kevin Spacey makes it even more remarkabkable. Absolutely steals every scene he is in, making you detest Getty with every fibre, virtually every second he is on the screen, and fully deserved his Oscar nomination.

packybhoy and Sonic Reducer like this.
  3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It was good but I’ll probably watch it again, made the mistake of watching with a lassie and you know how that goes. Constantly pausing and constant questions. The end confused me a little.

4. Lecs

Watched Man on Wire, the documentary about the fella who wired-walked across the World Trade Centre in 1974.
    Really good story, well put together and quite a good laugh.

I had read online and heard a few times that it was the best documentary of all time. I find that bollocks but fair enough.

Searching For Sugarman is my favourite. But opinions are like arseholes :84:

packybhoy likes this.
  5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

The original is the one to watch if you haven't already seen it, it was on the video nasty list back in the day lol.

6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    'Wonder' ...My wife put this on this afternoon so I sat down to watch expecting a fairly mediocre film which normally applies when she chooses.

Very moving film that had the tears rolling a good few times.

A family's struggle with their little lad who has deformities...introducing him into school and trying to make a normal life for him.

As you can imagine some real lows and highs but a great watch.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Logan Lucky. Was alright.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought it was pretty decent for 2/3's of the film, but completely lost the pacing in the last act, which just served to make the whole film seem to go on about 20min too long.

Funnily enough it's a similiar criticism to be made about Soderbergh's new film, Unsane, also. For 2/3's it rolls along quite nicely building as a psychological thriller, before kinda losing it's way in the final act. Not the pacing here, but just which way it turns.

9. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

Myself getting a bit annoyed by the stereotypical divorced dad with a little daughter who lives with her mom and they always forget about a schoolplay or a beauty contest which they will make up for in the end.
    Seen Geo Storm yesterday and it had a divorced dad in it too ffs! :giggle1:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It almost sounds like Hollywood are using statistics and handing them to their screenplayers and that is why storylines are all about cartoons and making everyone see their own faults and learn to live with each other because even though we're the same we're not the same, like ying and yang we are the same shape but not the same position when it comes to views.

Why did La La Land get so many Oscars? I watched it because I seen an advert with two cool actors in it, Ryan someone and Emma someone. I didn't realised the whole thing was a musical, I thought that advert was a small switch of genre and then we'd get back to the main story.

I mean Drive was brilliant!

Anyway, as much as I'm annoyed at that, I can't believe it was considered much better than all the movies made that year. I have still to see Moonlight? I think that's the name, I only have Netflix, no Sky Cinema so I don't know but I can't wait to see that film, the trailors makes it look like it's real.

If it has a powerful woman in it then I'm in cause it takes good writing to do that without making patronising.

11. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was undrwhelmed by La La Land also. In and of itself it's fine, and some of the music numbers was pretty good, but it's hard to get excited about a story that pretty much is about Hollywood, young actress makes it big in the end, kinda thing. It was all pretty self grandizing and not a little bit self-congratulatory, which lead to it garnering far more accolades than it deserved, especially from other films in various catagories. By way of contrast, was far more impressed with Greatest Showman than was with La La Land.

One constant criticism of Showman has been the way the film shies away from some of the more unsavoury aspects of the real Barnham. And while this is true, this is a musical, not a historical biopic. Of the litany of atrocities that the Nazis committed, not least of which the genocide of more than 6million Jews, the bullying of an Austrian aristocrat to join their Navy ranks pretty low... yet that is essentially what just about the biggest baddies in all of human history's main crime is, in the Sound of Music. In all the history of street gangs, those depicted like they are in West Side Story are not in any way an real representation of street gangs of any era. And so it goes. It's a genre that lends itself to invention, escapism and entertainment first and foremost.

Moonlight is a good film also, even if it is one that I found it hard to relate to, simply because of the subject matter. There are parts of it which do feel as though they are very real, will definitely have to commend the film for. But considering a core aspect of the story is about a young African-American coming to know his own sexuality and being able to be comfortable in that, it's essentuially a film that was made with a different audience than me in mind. That does not detract from it's worthiness as a film, but just the truth. Just as Disney, for example, makes animated films that are aimed at younger, family friendly audiences generally and some of these are really very good. Of the year 2016, Zootopia is a prime example of which.

So this is not to detract from Moonlight's worthiness or to assuade anyone from seeing this, as it is a worthy film, in and of itself. Although, of last year's Oscar candidates, again, had this film been made in years prior to 2016, it's questionable whether the Academy would have recognized this film with a nomination, let alone winning, if it had not come on the back of the '#oscarssowhite' campaign of the previous year.

If you are looking for strong female characters/performances from that year's Oscar nods, Moonlight isn't really going to do much for you, but Fences definitely would. Viola Davis was incredible in this. She won Best Supporting Actress, but her role was not a supporting one at all. Think this was more done to clear the path for a certain (and deserved) win as opposed to going head to head with Emma Stone, good as she may be, as Stone's corination as Best Actress was well in place a long time before the nominations were even revealed. But Viola Davis really was amaze in Fences, and considering she was opposite Denzel Washington, who was in superb form himself here, it was her character, her scenes, her speehes that I remember most vividly from that film.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Roxanne Roxanne. (2017)
    Just released for Netflix. Directed by Pharrell Williams and Forrest Whittaker.
    Starring Nia Long, Chante Adams and Kevin Phillips. Story of 1980s hip hop star Roxanne Shante. Set in Queens NY in the early 80s through. Showing her hardships growing up with no father and a drunk mum. Left to help her siblings through selling drugs while trying to build a career. The story has been told dozens of times and the acting whilst not bad, the scripts came across weak. In the end more like a TV movie. I was expecting a lot more from these directors and some passion for the subject. It was missing.
    5/10

13. Velvet Bollok

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Pretty much what I expected, will give that a miss then. Got to have a good script and screenplay, while I'm a big fan of Forrest Whittakers acting, a film about Queens N.Y would be better directed by Spike Lee or someone I reckon.

packybhoy likes this.
  14. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Agree about Spike Lee. He has an interesting one on Rodney King out soon.Like a one man stage show. But because I’m a massive NERD/Pharrell fan, I’d expect much more from any production or directing he does. Maybe taking on too many projects at the minute.

Velvet Bollok likes this.
  15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Just out from Ready Player One. I was super sceptical about this since I know the book inside out but... It worked. The changes Spielberg made to the challenges worked. The pace worked. The characters worked. Happy guy here!

Valhalla likes this.
  16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

The Young Offenders

Very pleasantly surprised with it. Thought it was great.

17. Bonobhoy

Ready Player one

Thought it was excellent tbh....great music and throwback to 80's as well as looking into the future.

The Shining scene was outstanding

Valhalla and Fontaine like this.
  18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Donnie Brasco.

Good un

19. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Dunkirk
    Nolan delivers another master piece.

20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Thor: Ragnarok

Another one that was much better than anticipated. Taika Waititi is a lad.