1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] FC Salzburg v Celtic EL-Thurs 4th October 2018 Kick Off 17:55, Result... 3-1

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, Sep 30, 2018.

Discuss FC Salzburg v Celtic EL-Thurs 4th October 2018 Kick Off 17:55, Result... 3-1 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Away and support brexit. At least it's entertaining when they lose away from home.

2. Roskopicachu

Started the game so well, but you could see we needed changes about 30 minutes in.
    Mulumbu's karate kick first touches are not gonna escape the attention of refs and you could hear the crowd turn on him.
    They got in about the referee at half time and again we've been made to look daft by a fairly average team.
    We made them look like world beaters. It's not in Brendan's nature to park the bus, but that's what was intended, with a number of players without much european experience. We lost soft-soft goals. Just never had the gumption to make subs earlier to make sure they couldn't score, but then we've a whole host who Rodgers will never play.
    Simunovic, Izzy and Gamboa might help you see out the game.
    European football isn't for just trying things out. It's not about giving young players minutes if you're losing.
    Gamboa showed at the world cup you can send him out to do an incredible man marking job on the number 1 player on the planet. Who'd Brendan play against Neymar?
    Sorry but right now we look like the third best team in the group and it's largely down to what happened in the Summer.
    We sat and watched like Brendan last night.
    Look back to Braca, PSG under Rodgers, at any time did he look paniced? Does he ever give the players a rollicking?
    Games in Europe you need a physical presence away from home and if Mulumbu is all that can be offered up anyone can take points off us because he's as slow as a week in the jail and has no game when he's got the ball.
    Quite what Rodgers is thinking is anyone's guess. Get beat against Kilmarnock, play him against Salzburg?
    Meanwhile we've guys who can play, but never get games. Guys like Scott Allan who'd get a game anywhere else in Scotland. Here if he plays and doesn't get a goal - dropped. But what about McGregor? I see a lot of running just very rarely with the ball and it's decisions like this that might come back to haunt us, but this is a game we should have had finished in the first half and we had four or five under performing for this level. He just doesn't know how to win games in Europe, Brendan. If it works with wingers fine, if not then he's happy enough to lose and this is the disappointing thing.
    Sevco have already caught up with us, and a lack of interfering with their transfer targets along with Hearts and Hibs, in the notion that it would cost £10million to replace Forrest or McGregor/Broony was not necessarily true, but that's the message that Rodgers sold Lawwell. Don't buy inferior players, but then we ended up with Mulumbu and is he really better than Kouassi?
    So far i'm not really enjoying this teams attitude, with guys like Hendry maybe needing subbed at some point. Nada.
    Rodgers waits till the game's by and then goes on like it doesn't matter. Did he go into the game expecting not to win?
    If so that's daft because you could see their defense wasn't exactly the best, with a keeper who looked easy to score against.
    But again some aren't good enough to make the squad/bench while others randomly walk into the European arena
    and Rodgers then works out he'll get 70 minutes out of Mulumbu, when better strikers would have take goals off us much earlier. He's a walking red card Mulumbu who'll get some cult status for making challenges he's lucky to get away with, if that's not a bombscare then just keep playing him and see what happens. Mulumbu, Forrest and McGregor in Europe are torture. But we had a few who battled well and a few who simply ran around a lot.

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He is happy to forgive boyata.... The guy has favourites nothing to do with personality or indiscipline

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

freitassen likes this.
  4. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Since when is 26 old? I think he could be a very good addition to our squad. look, it's clear we need quality all over the park, but as I said earlier we can't * money on every position. I feel this would be a good purchase and save a bit of money, which could be put into other areas.
    Who would you look to buy then?
    But let's be honest here, we got * naebody in that windae, so even O'Donnell at this rate is a * pipe dream.

seanm likes this.
  5. Pearse67*

Club needs overhauled from top to bottom.
    Rodgers statement of quality of quantity?? Squad bloated with imposters, we are in a real mess at the minute!

6. dmccourt95

Could list about 16 players that I’d happily see the back of but we can’t get rid of them cos the only ones stupid enough to pay them the wages they’re on are us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Paradise88

They basically played like we do. Held possession and hold a high press. They were just much better and quicker than we were.

Until we can comfortably beat SPFL teams then competing in the Europa League is fantasy.

8. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Nowhere near being as painful as Athens for me.

I'm annoyed about the result but I'm already over it. It's the Europa League, tbh I'd really we weren't even in it.m

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I hope we take something away from the way Salzburg played. I know confidence breeds this high intensity, slick football and we're bereft of that right now. But there is no reason we cant play with that desire. And if there is a reason, players need to have a long hard look at themselves

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We're too weak and mentally fragile to be capable of playing like that or holding a lead against anyone half decent..

Most these player's have to go. Otherwise it'll be season after season of the same collapsing under pressure..

See it constantly. Can't hold on for a few minute's of pressure at the start of the game in Athens. Couldn't even get a half time lead away in Lithuania..

This team is riddled with shitebags..

11. benben

The defence is the problem we let in goals that should have been stopped relay bad defending they are not a bad team but I thing we can beet them on home soil our next game is one that we must get a result to keep us in the hunt to progress

12. wulliebad

The buy cheap loan out for 3 years and then dump system has failed.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    CELTIC went down to a much better side last night but there’s one crazy stat that has to be highlighted as the club look to ‘learn’ from their latest away day woes.
    There’s no doubt about it, the team as a whole were not good enough in the second half to deserve anything from the game.

The bhoys ball retention was shocking, they looked scared and didn’t know what to do when they were constantly pressed.

We were frustrating the home side though and the longer we did so the more likely Celtic could have snatched a result.

With that in mind, the failure at the first goal is crucial. Lustig not being able to stop a simple cross while Hendry’s half-hearted attempt to stop the shot left many Celtic fans perplexed.

People say you get what you pay for and that’s what happens when you sign a guy from Dundee for £1.5million.

However, that argument doesn’t fly when you take a look at who lined up for Salzburg in defence and how much their back four cost.

NONE of them cost more than Jack Hendry

Stefan Lainer Right Back £180k

Andre Ramalho Centre back £720k

Marin Pongracic Centre back 900k

Andreas Ulmer Left Back 540k

This should be cause for much embarrassment as well as give Celtic hope. If the club looks in the right places they don’t have to spend big to have a solid foundation.

Add to that, Barca Bhoys candour on Twitter about Salzburg’s scouting paying dividends and it paints a bleak picture.

It’s looking in the right places which is the biggest problem for Celtic.

[​IMG]
    Paul@pault1888

· 1h

Replying to @pault1888
    And I get the ‘Board didn’t support him’ argument fully, but we aren’t getting value from the large squad he’s assembled already.

[​IMG]
    Barcabhoy@Barcabhoy1

The Red Bull team last night cost less than ours

Their 2 best players were signed as teenagers from Mali and cost less than £600 k

Their most expensive signing was half the price of Edouard

This team is on Brendan and particularly Congerton

Recruitment is not delivering

09:42 - 5 Oct 2018
    Twitter Ads information and privacy

This Salzburg side got to the Europa League semi-final last year and were unlucky not to get to the final.

It can be done and Celtic should be looking at Salzburg’s model.

https://celtsarehere.com/embarrassing-the-salzburg-stat-which-shames-celtics-recruitment/

jocksteinupper likes this.
  14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Well said...just said smilar on the board thread!!!

15. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Just to be clear that was taken from the link at the bottom(those arent my words) but yes good points.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  16. Eazey

Biggest take away. Salzburg looked very average. We are definitely playing * but they are beatable if we get the finger out.

17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    i've not seen the game but willing to go out on a limb here and say that bullshit pal- they got to the semis last year!!

18. Eazey

Probably watch the game first then comment pal.

19. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    i may or may not do (more likely) but their 2 year home record will do for me......if they're average in Euro terms what the * are we?? Thanks anyway!!

20. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    We’ve not been good away from home in Europe since about 1974 so I’m not surprised or really disappointed. Infact ironically I think sevco will do better than us in that realm this year which will seal us 8in a row, as their squad can’t cope domestically and we’re a shambles in Europe.