1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I think that's very true, and can be applied to many other whisky brands.

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, there is an awful lot of style over substance out there, thankfully there are a lot of very good lesser know whiskies as well. Although even the price of those are creeping up as well now. You can't really blame the industry though when 80% of the price is taxes here. A £40 bottle and the manufacturers, bottlers, distributors and retailers get to share £8 between them.

3. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

My best was Ardbeg 75, drank it last time for 15 years ago. I love ardbeg and most of it forms. But that 1975 it was gold in yer mouth.

4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've liked all the Ardbegs I have tried, but I've never had anything like that. Sounds like a cracker.

Celtic Frost likes this.
  5. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

In sweden it Went out back i Think 15 years is going in a haze in this thing..could be 20 years ago..
    Befor it Went gone it was pretty cheap, like 6-8 euro centiliters. then it got up

6. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Tonight, I'm drinking this.... Writer's Tears.

I’m always eager to try out new whisk(e)y of any kind.

Scotch:
    Was on a huge Islay kick for the longest time. Love the peaty stuff. Also like drams from Orkney (Highland Park). Lately leaning more towards Oban, Glenmorangie, and The Balvenie.

Irish:
    Still learning a lot about what’s out there, apart from Jameson’s, Powers, and Tullamore. Have loved Red Breast the most, with new findings in Writer’s Tears (by Walsh) and West Cork for a more peaty surprise of a finish.

Welsh:
    Totally new to this space. Just tried Pendryn last month and it was enjoyable but not sure I’d pick up again.

American:
    - Rye whiskey is probably my favorite. Anything small batch and not out of the 2-3 Indiana distilleries that make most of everything in the States. Love McKenzie Rye in particular for boutique stuff. Bulleit isn’t bad for the price point and is always my go-to in mixed drinks at most low key bars, despite its mass production.
    - Bourbon is hit and miss with me. Not a big fan of corn mash, but can be done right in limited cases. Some of the Old Forester runs that use recipes from early 1900s not too bad. Just hard to justify the price of faulty bourbons most of the time.
    - White lighting (or un-aged corn whiskey) is well worth the price if homemade or from small batch distillers. Especially delicious if procured from the hills and hollers of Appalachia.

Canadian:
    Too much blended whisky for my taste. But I’m honestly lazy with Canadian and haven’t sought out much small batch stuff.

Japanese:
    Pricey and cannot recall most brands I’ve tasted. To be fair, incredibly delicious from what I have. Probably best that I do not remember them! :)

cidermaster and Lupis like this.
  7. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Am loving a litre bottle of duty free 12 year old Glenlivet at the minute and usually enjoy their special reserve 10 year old that's always in tesco/Co op usually for £35 but often on sale for £22 BARGAIN. They're both proper single malts a soft interesting taste on your tongue which turns to burning in your throat to remind you it's 40 proof.

Lupis likes this.
  8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    80 proof (40% ABV) is the minimum for scotch whisky. I'm not a huge Glenlivet fan, I do like their cask strength 16YO Nadurra a lot though. I've not tried the latest version, or the peated one, as I have an older batch, so I don't know if t is still as good as it was.

For cheaper bottles Tamnavulin isn't bad at all for the money, and can often be had for arond £18-£22 in supermarket deals. I wouldn't pay the RRP for it though.

9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Auchentoshan Triple Distilled American Oak Single Malt is beyond lovely

Lupis likes this.
  10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I haven't tried that one. I've had the 3 Wood, the 12 and I think it was the 15 (might have been an 18) as well. Not my favourites by any stretch and yet my brother (and many others) absolutely swear by their 3 Wood. It just shows how subjective taste can be.

cidermaster likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Tonight I shall be having one small dram of either Balvenie 14 or Ardbeg 10 with a strum of the geetar.

PorchBhoy67 and Lupis like this.
  12. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Scapa The Orcadien a nice easy to drink whiskey for beginners, if you like your stuff really peaty try Kilchoman Machir Bay.

Lupis likes this.
  13. Aidan O’Shea

Has anyone tried the unpeated Caol Ila 15? 61.5% and blows the head off you.

14. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is that the 2016 version?

15. Aidan O’Shea

Yes, lad. Caol Ila 12 is my favourite whisky and this is entirely different.

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I like Caol Ila 12 as well, not tried the unpeated yet, I did think about getting the 2018 version which is a slightly lower abv. But there are just so many whiskies out there I want to try and not enough time, or money, to do them all!

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I went on the Glengoyne Gold Medal Parade tour this week. Got to try their 12 (which I already have), 18, 21 and Cask Strength. I also got a small sample of their new Legacy whisky, although that wasn't part of the tour. All really enjoyable, especially the 21 and the cask strength.

If anyone is thinking of going the gold medal tour is £30, you get the 4 drams (12, 18, 21 and CS) and a Glengoyne Glencairn. Well worth the money in my opinion. I would suggest at least going for the Wee Tasting Tour, at £14.50 it's only £3 more than the very basic tour and you get a glass of the 12 and 18 to try.

I really enjoyed the experience, having said that I was already a fan of their whiskies, I already have the 10, 12 and teapot dram. Now I have another teapot dram and the 21 and will no doubt pick up the cask strength and new legacy bottle as well at some point.

The Prof likes this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  19. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Got a bottle of Proper Twelve, Conor McGregor’s whiskey. So far so good :50:

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Got a bottle back from Miami the other day - more for my shelf tbh.

It’s supposed to be bang average.