1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Fabio Borini

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Mr Shelby, Apr 12, 2017.

Discuss Fabio Borini in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Fair enough.

Obviously Rodgers rates him but I think this would be a strange signing, if it was to happen. We need a winger or two with pace and power, a number 10 and a centre half. He's none of them.

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    More just the quality he showed on the ball, dont know how people consider Sutton but for me Sutton was a class technical player with a good brain, great touch and at keeping possession and doing wee lay-offs etc(Some I think, think of Sutton as a big hard rough target man style player), thats how I recall Borini at Swansea, a good technical player who linked up play well with back to goal, a position he's never played since as he's probably too weak to do it at EPL level.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    But his versatility will be eye catching to Brendan as well. Both wings and up top. A reason McGregor will probably stay over Henderson and Bitton etc..

Problem is he wouldn't come here unless he's a starter and i don't see him starting every week..

Sutton was a very clever, technically sound unselfish player with a good touch as you say. His finishing is probably slightly underrated for me as well..

Borini for me looks best when he has space to run in to. Direct. Wouldn't say back to goal at all..

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Cause you've probably never seen him do it, Scott McDonald done well for us as a back to goal style striker but obviously he would be hopeless at that in the EPL too as he's too wee. Borini is too weak and small also to do it in the EPL, in the SPL though against diddies like McManus, Hill, O'Dea and these other mugs he could play like that again. Some difference to playing in the EPL against big strong faster, wiser centre-halves who are dealing with world class players every month and find it easier against smaller weaker guys to doing it against diddies who barely ever come up against a player of Borini's ability.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    And these other mug's :rofl:

We'll have to agree to disagree or wait and see as it might happen but I think he'd be decent playing with/off Moussa and on the wing but he's never taking Sinclair's spot unless he was moved across or took Forrest's place..

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Literally only wrote that as my mind went blank and couldnt even think of any other SPL centre-halves :56:

I think he'd be great anywhere across the front line for us and would have no bother scoring plenty of goals in any of the positions. He's a much better player than guys like Samaras, Zurawski, McDonald, Griffiths, Stokes and that.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I do think he'd do well here. It's just fitting him in really..

I'm 50/50. Think we can get better for value somewhere else but if he comes, then be happy enough if it's a low enough fee..

As someone said before. It's not one that really excites the masses..

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Not until he kicks a baw and starts scoring 25 a season, which he probably would.

If Dembele signed for Spurs, never really got a game, used as a sub all the time, then next season they loaned him to Watford and he struggled there(who wouldnt theyre * and playing better teams than themselves almost every week) then back to Spurs again benched barely getting a sniff for a season, then was sold to West Brom where again he struggled then we were linked with signing him. The same people on here would say "hes *, has hardly scored since he left Fulham even his record there isnt that good".

If we had signed Borini at 19 after his loan spell at Swansea in the Championship he'd have likely came up and ran riot here too. Never mind now as a more experienced player.

9. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!

In season 2010/11 Iwatched all celtic games with my season ticket at home and took in Swansea games(due to family interest) at the Liberty when celtic were away.....Borini came in and took the weight off Scott Sinclair and brought him more Into the games and set him up as top goalscorer that season...Sinky was sensational that season...but Borini helped the whole team with Dobbie and Prattley scoring a lot from midfield...Borini played at centre with his back to defenders but also ran unselfishly into the channels creating chances for midfielders to get into the box and score...he is a quality player but not an out and out centre forward who will score a bundle of goals imo

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I can agree with that, yeah.

But can a club in our position afford to pay £4-5m for that, a hard working versatile striker who isn't exactly prolific and isn't exactly a winger at the same time...I'm not convinced.

11. Dembele the next messi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    An on form Borini ain't better than Samara's, Scott McDonald, stokes and especially Griffith's when they are on form.

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I agree with that.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  13. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

We could do worse

14. oh bhoy

We could also do better though

Mr Shelby and Zander like this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Borini played off the striker at Swansea. He never played with his back to goal :giggle1:

He's quick but he's not lightening. The closest player I can think of that he'd be like for us if he was signed, and if he was to play on the right of a front three to play with Sinclair and Dembele would be Pedro and the role he had at Barca.

He's not going to go and beat 3 or 4 players like Sinclair can or bully someone like Moussa can but his link up play is exceptional and he's brilliant at shifting the ball quickly by someone and creating an opening for a pass/shot. And the boy can finish.

No doubt in my mind if we signed him he'd be a massive success when he gets a run and gets his confidence back.

16. oh bhoy

We should be looking at guys with the ability or potential to swing things in our favour in Europe just don't see it in borini, I'm pretty sure he could come in and do well domestically but we already have a guy who scored 40 goals last season unable to get in the side

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. Damnati

Falls into the same bracket as McCarthy & McLean for me. Not amazingly exciting, would be nice to have but not at the price we would have to pay for them.

18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    If Brendan likes him and wants him in the team then that's good enough for me.

If he links up well with Sinclair, even better.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. This Charming Man

Don't think he's anywhere near as bad as people are making out. Definitely has talent, to write him off as * because he didn't perform at one or two clubs is plain stupid. He couldn't settle in at Liverpool and was in a * Sunderland side. He's 26 with heaps of potential. Under Rodgers I can't see this being a bad move.

20. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    These are good points. Scott Sinclair never got a chance at City, and then played for an atrocious Villa side. Look at the quality he has shown with us. No reason why Borini couldn't do the same.

For the record, I just don't think we need him in comparison to needing a CB, and DM, and a winger. With Griffiths and Dembele already providing solid options at centre forward and guys like Aitchison and Crossan being developed, I don't think it'd make sense for us to spend £5 million and £30-40k a week on another dedicated forward whose not primarily a winger.