1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

" excuses "

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by aidan_mcanespie, Mar 9, 2009.

Discuss " excuses " in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady (my bhoy) Larssons Ghod !
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Currently - The Legend Mandela.
    shouldnt be such a word when it comes to football? ...

90mins + watever added on time

during this period, if any1 dives, hits the bar/post, ect...

soon as the final whistle goes, games over. done & dusted

coming on forums and saying but this but that (excuses)

isnt goin to change the fact we got beat

maybe instead of pulling out the best excuse

we should all face the fact YES we got beat

and how to improve on it, never mind excuses :50:

Hail Hail :shamrock:

2. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    " but the pitch was terrible " :56:

if it was that bad, the game wouldnt be allowed to be played

wise up folks :50:

3. Martin

That's what some of us have been doing, but what tends to happen is that folk start threads calling us 'gloryhunters' or a 'poor excuse for a supporter'.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You can have excuses though, there's always variables in a football match.

Just so happens there are pretty much none for the weekend, we should have won convincingly and we never.

5. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    nothing worse than reading threads with celtic fans hitting out with every excuse under the sun,
    i sit here thinkin *? why not just accept we got beat & look foward, instead of draggin
    the excuses all the way through the season with us. :38:

6. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Domestically, Saturday was the most disappointed i have been in about three years, i have to say. Especially after what was a wonderful week all things told.....

Put bluntly, we didn't perform; nonetheless, it is important to add that we are in a Cup Final, and lie top of the table. Was it a horror show at the weekend? Yes. Is it time for an autopsy yet?

Personally, i don't think so. Swings and roundabouts i suppose....but the performance itself still makes me feel nauseous.

7. bebackman

Fav Celtic Player:
    broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    you will always have excuses in football.fans will make excuses for a players performance.
    that what leads to debate

8. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    of course there will always be excuses...

(personal opinion) after 90mins games over, no need for excuses :50:

its not like we can go bk in time, so jsut get over it? :50:

seville....

so many excuses came out some were true (divin ect)

end of the day its night :56:

we got beat :50:

9. shop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur
    I stated on another thread that the pitch was a disgrace. I think it's important to point that out. These * get away with having * pitches.

It's not an excuse for the defeat though - We were beaten by a better side on the day. St Mirren were tougher and appeared to cope better with the conditions. We were not tough enough. We need to be much tougher, especially considering the pitches at away grounds in this * league.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The whole pitch issue is becoming farcical, the top league in Scotland shouldn't be having a debate on the surface the teams are forced to play on every other week.

What a complete shambles and the SPL have no right to complain about TV money when the product they serve can't even get the basics of a grass covered, level football park right.

11. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Personally, i didn't think that St Mirren Park was too bad at all - especially after the midweek game against Aberdeen on the same ground which was played in blizzard conditions....

We simply struggled to pass the ball - and not because of the pitch. I lost count of the number of overhit passes the team made. It was schoolboy stuff - camera panned to Strachan in the 85th minute (when possession had been lost AGAIN), and that's as angry as i can ever remember seeing him. We couldn't pass the * ball; that had nothing to do with the playing surface which was like a bowling green in comparison to Fir Park / Hampden / Pittodrie.

12. shop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur

Couldn't agree more - at the top level there should be no debate over the state of a pitch. It should be the priority of every team to make sure their pitch is up to standard. Is it too much to ask of clubs at the TOP LEVEL of football in this country to be able to pass a ball 10 yards wothout it bobbling all over the place???? Whether you agree or not, or pass it off as an excuse, the state of a pitch is a determining factor and can prove to be an unfair advantage.

* sake, there are thousands of golf courses throughout Scotland with immaculate fairways and greens, why can we not have 12 decent football pitches in the stadiums of our top clubs??? A prime example of football fans in this country, who pay way way way over the odds to attend matches, being short changed again.

13. Mr Nice

Fav Celtic Song:
    Always look on the brightside of life
    We as supporters don't need excuses. We don't need to excuse the fact that our over paid under achieving players struggle to get the basics right. It's not us who play bad, were the ones funding the operation. We should be looking for answers or action to be taken so these * and heartless performances are eradicated and the guys who are supposed to be 'professional' start acting like it.

14. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scotty Broon & Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Well said Aiden McAnespie, the record books don't record excuses, only results. Results of previous years mean * ALL at this moment in time so the old 3 in a row last 16 PISH can * off aswell. Am interested in right now, this season, and if the bhoys don't start doing the business NOW then it's not just this season they are putting in jeopardy it's next season aswell (Champions League).

That is the bottom line no matter how many 'variables' or 'subjective arguments' people want to throw in.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Perhaps people aren't looking for excuses. They're looking for reasons as to where we went wrong and want to improve on that.

:50:

State of pitches in this country is well below standard. Surely things can be done to ensure that they are of the correct quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
  16. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Both temas have to deal with the poor pitch so it can't be used as an excuse for one of them not winning. St Mirren were able to deal with it better than us.

17. aidan_mcanespie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Agreed :50:

if the pitch was that bad...

the game wouldnt have been played :50:

18. Biffy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik, Brown, Aiden, Artur and Big Jan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Willie Maley
    To be fair, I think that there's no denying that on certain pitches, that is a genuine excuse.

Did you see the game at Hampden or Fir Park this season? I understand your point about general misfortune in game (ie hitting the post etc) being forgotten after the 90 minutes, but as for the surface, I think something which has a bearing on the game for the full 90 minutes is a genuine excuse.

I know both teams play on it, but surely teams who maybe don't play the passing game as much as us are at an advantage, or Motherwell are at an advantage playing on it week in week out?

19. tits-oot!

Fav Celtic Player:
    too many to mention but probably Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    State of pitches in this country is well below standard. Surely things can be done to ensure that they are of the correct quality.

aye, stop playin in the middle o winter for a start.

20. squire_2

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    1. These guys have been playing football for years and am guessin they have all played in poor surfaces on plenty of occasions. They are PROFESSIONAL football players, and the money the * are on they should be able to play on a bad surface.

2. Strachan has always insisted that we be able to switch our tactics or change our personnel to suit different situations. You'd think the ginger genius would have a game plan in case of such situations, we do play in Scotland remember.

I'll say it again, the surface might not be great but it cannot be used as an excuse for one team getting beat.